Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Citrus pioneers from the North, it's not easy!

meyermike_1micha
10 years ago

That's right!

I don't mean easy keeping them alive, pest free, and healthy...What I mean is..IT'S NOT EASY TO KEEP THEM CONSISTANTLY GROWING to the point that we get large trees full of fruit in a good amount of time.

I have to say "hats of to you" for doing a great job at the least making them survive and helping them along for what ever the reason is until we can stick them outside in consistant STABLE temps!

That is the part that is not easy!
Do you realize how much bigger our trees would be, greener, faster growing if we could expose them to temps above 55 at night and below the 90's by day for weeks on end?

It is a challange and to be quite honest very discouraging!!!!!!! I think that my trees only grow continualy and worth noticing just a few short weeks of the year the way I would like.

In the past week I finally had a great flush of growth since the temps were nice and warm by day and night until tonight! Now they have to deal with cold nights below the 50's again, to be precise, 30's!!!!! Unless I lug them all back inside again!

It is always a grow, stall, grow stall, grow stall with my trees until finally the constant temps day after day of above 50 at night arrives in June! I think i belong much further south than this

Arg! It's no wonder that many of us northerners have to deal with slowed growth and trees that take forever to get big at the mercy of our weather, that is of course until you can grow them in a green house with lot's of even temps and good light.lol
Yes, from this stand point, "It's NOT easy!"
So don't worry, if your potted trees up here in the north don't grow as fast as you would like, and you have provided everything they need except for consistant temps, it just may not be your fault:-)

MIke

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Mon, May 13, 13 at 19:22

Comments (6)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I commend you, Mike, I'm not sure I'd have the fortitude to do what you do with your citrus, but my gosh, your trees are really lovely, and so healthy! I am spoiled by my lovely S. California weather. So much easier here to grow citrus, in containers or in the ground. Hope you're finally getting consistently warm weather now, so your lovely trees can enjoy the outside!

Patty S.

• Scott_6B
    10 years ago

Mike,

My apologies for posting this in your thread, but it seems like a good place for it.

I've been growing citrus on and off in the Northeast (Massachusetts) for the past ten years or so and I completely agree with you, it is not easy growing citrus in the north, especially indoors. In years past I've tried grow lamps (600W), heating, etc... to keep my potted citrus growing all year. However, my citrus never seemed truly happy except for 4-5 months in the summer and fall. A couple years ago, I gave up on this approach, and have let my containerized citrus on their own in a relatively cool (50-65F) sun room during the winter. They receive relatively little direct sun and judicious watering. Doing this, at least for me, has resulted in much more content citrus.

I also began messing around with in-ground-citrus (in part from some posts I've seen by Frank_zone5.5) Last spring I planted a Satsuma out in my yard. When winter was approaching, I built a mini-cold frame around it using 35 gal water barrels and an old glass patio door for a roof. To make a long story short (Patty has seen all of my posts on another citrus board...), I was able to overwinter my tree with with great success. I did not supply any external heating, but relied on the high heat capacity and enthalpy of fusion of water to protect the tree all winter (although I did have an emergency heating system). I had the backup heating set to turn on if the temp inside the enclosure got below 27F, the lowest temp inside all winter was 27.6F (when the outside temp was 3F!), so I never needed the emergency heating. The system worked great, not a single leaf dropped (as far as I could tell) all winter. Currently the Satsuma is putting on a nice growth flush.

Overall the outside tree was less work than my indoor trees. Just one afternoon in the fall to setup the enclosure, and another afternoon in the spring to remove it. No watering, no WLD, and no bug problems. My indoor trees were much more work, weekly checks for water, and spraying a couple of times w/ Horticultural oil during the winter to knock back one form or another of insect infestation.

Here's some pics of my outdoor tree:

Last fall (late Oct. 2012):
    {{gwi:582646}}

Early Nov. 2012 after putting up the enclosure:
    {{gwi:582647}}

Jan. 2012 buried under 25 inches of snow:
    {{gwi:582648}}

Graph of the daily low temps (outside air, inside air, and inside soil) in Jan, when we had our coldest weather.
    {{gwi:587725}}

Looking good in mid March 2013:
    {{gwi:587727}}

After removing the enclosure on May, 1 2013:
    {{gwi:582649}}
    New Flush on May 1:
    {{gwi:582650}}

Currently, I count > 40 flower buds... Hopefully they will be open by the end of the month, this will put them ~1.5 months behind my container Satsuma that flowered in April, and give me a chance of having ripe outdoor citrus by the end of Oct. when I have to put the enclosure back up.

• Andrew Scott
    10 years ago

Hi Mike,
    Very well said. I lost a lot of growth on my 5ft tall 'Star Ruby' grapefruit. It is recovering now but damn, we have had freeze warnings this whole weekend so back inside they go. My dwarf 'Improved Meyer Lemon', is still holding onto the fruits it developed last summer, and the larger fruits didn't start turning yellow until I moved the tree outdoors. I had all my citrus uner my 600 watt HPS light, which also provided an excellent enviroment for spider mites! My 'Ponderosa' lemon flowered under the lights but I only had a few but then again, the tree is still under a foot tall.

I guess I should just be greatfull considering I had major back surgery last January, and I wasn't capable of caring for my trees like I normally would. Honestly, I am just proud to say that I have not lost a citrus tree in quite some time now!

Andrew

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Andrew!!! How are you? I should write you pal! I will very soon! By the way, 30's tonight and already my trees have stopped growing again!!!!!! So sick of this when it's suppose to be warm. Now an even shorter growing season!

Hello Scott, please write me!

Patty, thank you so much...I hope you are doing well and that your trees are ok. I owe you mail too:-(
    Many hugs to you!

Mike

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

MINE IS NOT DONE YET

{{gwi:587730}}

THE WALLS ARE COMPLETED AND I HAVE 10, 55 GALLON DRUMS FILLED WITH WATER.

CLICK THE LINK TO SEE WHAT TAKE AS MUCH ENERGY AND TIME AS ONE SEED GROWN MEIWA KUMQUAT TREE.

tHEN i HAVE TO ASK IS FORTUNELLA WORTH IT.? NO, BUT I WILL KEEP MY TREES UNTIL SUCCESS OR DEATH.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL YOU NORTHERN CITRUS'ERS. MAY GLOBAL WARMING BE WITH YOU

Here is a link that might be useful: https://plus.google.com/photos/111099372377958308731/albums/5864651368775846321?banner=pwa&authkey=CI763rvAj8eLAg

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Mike,

You are the pioneer for sure; and an inspiration for those with difficult climes.
    Here is photo of one of our new projects at 9 months from planting. C'mon down, if you ever get tired of fighting Mother Nature.

John

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County