Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matsutake

mystery citrus and too much rind

matsutake
10 years ago

We recently bought a house with some citrus trees in the backyard. We've identified a few, but have questions remaining on one. We think it is a Palestine sweet lime, with a nutrient deficiency. The leaves on the Mystery Citrus are yellowed and the fruit is almost entirely pith. It is planted next to a grapefruit that also has yellowed leaves and pithy fruit (60% pith) (we don't think it is a pomelo as the previous owner said it was a grapefruit). I read that a phosphorus deficiency can manifest as a nitrogen deficiency (thus the yellowed leaves) and that a secondary symptom is dry, pithy fruit.

I am relatively new to citrus and would greatly appreciate it if the lurking experts could:
1) help me identify the mystery citrus
and
2) confirm or reject my nutrient deficiency theory.

Both citrus are planted in warm, sunny spots, although they get some dappled shade from a nearby ornamental cherry part of the day. They get bright sun in the morning/early afternoon and dappled sun in the later afternoon. While we are in Bay area, we are sunnier and warmer than SF or northern Berkeley (we are almost in Oakland).

Pictures are below:
Mystery Citrus leaves & blooms:
{{gwi:587747}}
Mystery Citrus branches w/ yellow leaves:
{{gwi:587748}}
Mystery Citrus fruit on tree:
{{gwi:587749}}
Mystery Citrus fruit w/ cherry for size comparison:
{{gwi:587750}}
Mystery Citrus, almost all pith inside:
{{gwi:587751}}
Yellowed leaves on grapefruit next to mystery:
{{gwi:587752}}
As mentioned, the grapefruit is also very pithy...... maybe 60% pith and then mealy, dry pulp.

This post was edited by Matsutake on Sun, May 12, 13 at 23:16

Comments (5)

• grrr4200
    10 years ago

looks like a pumelo. they sometimes carry an aroma of marijuana.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

" I read that a phosphorus deficiency can manifest as a nitrogen deficiency (thus the yellowed leaves) and that a secondary symptom is dry, pithy fruit. "

Well, not exactly. You either have phosphorus deficiency, nitrogen deficiency, or both. I suspect you have multiple micro and macro deficiencies going on here, but I don't think severe phosphorus deficiency is contributing to this degree of pith. So, fertilize now, again in a month, and then in September. Give your tree one more fruit cycle and if it continues with this huge amount of pith, I would simply replace it with a more worthy cultivar. Taste the pulp and see if it has a sweet lemon flavor, or a grapefruit flavor. That will at least give you an idea of the group this citrus may fall under. Palestine lime tastes like watered down lemonade. But, to me, this appears to me to possibly be just rootstock at this time, and something you'll want to replace with a viable cultivar. You'll know because the fruit will be very bitter if it's just rootstock.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC IPM: Diseases & Disorders of Citrus Leaves & Twigs

• matsutake
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Patty. Do you think I could just replace, or would I be better off grafting?

And can you recommend a fertilizer? I've looked here, but most fert recommendations tend to be for container plants.

Thanks!

This post was edited by Matsutake on Mon, May 13, 13 at 14:15

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Well, if you know how to graft, you can certainly give it a try. You can get certified from the UC CCPP and if you want, you can try to topwork the tree with several different varieties if you like. If you're not an experienced citrus grafter, or don't know someone who can help you, then you're probably better off simply replacing it with a cultivar you like and enjoy. For fertilizer, I do like Gro Power Citrus & Avocado Food. It has an optimal NPK ratio plus all the micros, and a lot of humic acid and humus, which is helpful for our thinner California soils. Or, you can just find a good quality 15-15-15 that has all the micros (Calcium, Magnesium, Iron, Manganese) like most commercial growers use. Lily Miller has a nice product. And, even Vigoro Citrus Fertilizer isn't a bad product, and it's easily found at your big box stores (Home Depot, Lowe's).

Patty S.

• serge94501
    10 years ago

We had our house in Berkeley next to Oakland for decades (between Berkeley Bowl's current location and Whole Foods). The citrus I planted grew better there than anywhere. Three Meyer lemons that bombarded me with fruit, a rangpur lime, kaffir lime, and a mandarin. The best performers were facing the bay.

You can get Gro-Power at Ewing Irrigation in San Leandro (off Doolittle - take the Davis exit off 880). They have 40# bags for between $40 and $50.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022