Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ideal2545

trying to save this abandoned dwarf meyer (pic inside)

ideal2545
11 years ago

Hi There,

So this Meyer was going to be thrown away so I decided to adopt her while I wait for my own tree to recover from a gritty mix transplant. Its still in its nursery mix as far as I can tell. I've been very careful to make sure I do not over water, letting it dry it out completely (my shaved pencil is 100% dry before watering it again) - and I've been watering with FP-Pro and a very little bit of white vinegar - what do you guys think I could do to get her back up to good health? She is starting to yellow on the edges a bit now and has dropped 7/8ths of her fruit, but still has a bit.

{{gwi:587838}}

Thanks!

Jon

Comments (11)

• lgteacher
    11 years ago

It's a little hard to tell if it's an iron or zinc problem. For iron deficiency you should use iron chelate. For a zinc deficiency, you could use a foliar spray. If you have a good nursery nearby, bring a leaf to them and see what they recommend. Why are you using white vinegar?

Here is a link that might be useful: What's Growing On?

• jean001a
    11 years ago

It's not a zinc deficiency. That efficiency is called "little leaf" for a reason -- the new growth is little.

Likely it's generally stressed from being in a container for who knows how long and never given any fertilizer of any kind.

If you're going to repot, do so. Then apply a "citrus fertilizer."

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

I would say the beginning of zinc deficiency

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:587836}}

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

But then again looks like the beginning of Manganese deficiency

But I think jean might be right. Just start to take care of that thing and feed it for starters.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:587837}}

• ideal2545
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi All, so I just got back from a weekend trip and the entire tree has pretty much turned yellow. I was playing with the dirt trying to stick my shaved pencil in it today and it was almost hard as a rock! I'm going to transplant her into a gritty mix or a cactus mix from a my local nursery and start applying fertilizer, hopefully she wont need to get tossed! I feel like im rescuing a kitten or something.

• johnmerr
    11 years ago

Maybe you ought to just trash this tree and start with a new one that is better. My concept of trees... you are going to live with this tree for a LONG time; why not start with a good one? It is sorta like buttoning your shirt... if you get the first button wrong, it doesn't matter how careful you are after that. Commercially, when we have a bad tree, or a weak tree, we take it out and replace it with a strong one. It's a personal thing with me, but trees are like children to me and I really HATE to spend my energy caring for a tree that is not worth the effort. Okay, it's a bad metafor... you have to love children, even if they are not perfect; but trees are not children.

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

johnmerr. The OP rescued this plant from certain doom and is trying to save it while his "full time" tree recovers from transplant shock.

In this case I dont think its about trashing the tree or keeping it forever (as the OP already has a tree), its about the idea of bringing it back from the brink and hating to see it trashed. You know?

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Why is everyone so ready to state what is lacking in these trees and suggest products that may or may not help, infact, firther along an alreafy bad situation, with no knowledge of the kind of cultural care it was given before you saved it?

Why not try an easy and practical approach first and give it the kind of good cultural practices it needs?

Why not check the mix to make sure it is not inhibiting good root growth and function along with good nutritional uptake?
    Then, why not give it a good porous mix of it needs be?
    After that, why not a good well balanced fertilizer and a whole lot of warm sunshine?

I'll bet this poor tree was missing one of these and it will respond quicker than you think as mine did. Picture to come later.

Mile

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Sorry, one other thought. Have you even thought to flush the mix of all salt deposits incase the previous owner watered in sips or over fertilized ?

Mike :)))

• ideal2545
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Mike,

So I just flushed it yesterday and put it in the sun and gave it some f-pro, its about lost all its leaves except for maybe 10, all fruits dropped. I did however notice that the leaves that remain after the flush look very happy when they were looking quite sad. Hopefully she'll put on some new growth. I'm thinking of re-potting her into a plastic square container I have with some extra cactus mix from my local nursery that my dwarf key lime seems to be loving.

• johnmerr
    11 years ago

Okay, let's accept that it is a "finicky" Meyer... overwater it, it will drop its leaves; let it get too dry and then water it, it will drop its leaves; drastically change the light environment, it will drop its leaves.

Be of good faith, do what Meyermike says, have a little patience; and it should be healthy again soon.