Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gynot

Fir Bark for Al's Gritty Mix

gynot
11 years ago

I finally picked up all my supplies to mix up some Al's Gritty Mix. I even found 1/8" and 1/16" screen. All my supply brands were the same as what's posted here, except for the fir bark. I could not find the Shasta brand, so I picked up some by a local business, Wolfinbarger. Someone recommended it here, but I can't recall who. I purchased what Wolfinbarger calls "fir mini bark".

I'm hoping I have the right bark as far as size. Anyone?

My concern is that it's too large. Before I start sifting and mixing I just wanted to double check. See link to pic below. And no it's not green, just shot under bad lighting. It is very much brown.

Thanks for any help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mini Bark

Comments (15)

• gynot
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I specifically told the guy fir bark, so I assumed he listened and knew what he was talking about. Guess not.

Since they're closed I went onto their web site and took a look. They have two products that contain fir, "Fir & Pine Mix Shavings" and "Composted Fir Bark". The "mini bark" that I bought doesn't mention what species it is.

See the link below.

I'll be returning it tomorrow. Not sure what to get in place of the Shasta. Maybe Armstrong or OSH will have something close. ??

Here is a link that might be useful: Wolfinbarger

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Really, is Fir bark absolutely necessary to this recipe?

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

It looks like they gave you the aged shavings or course wood chips. You can get the mini nuggets at OSH in a huge bag. Given its not aged pine bark but it is the next best thing.

Oh BTW that website kicks butt! I think they have very ingredient.

• gynotme
    11 years ago

Thanks. Is aged pine what I'm to be looking for?

• gynotme
    11 years ago

Found this (see link below) locally, but also sold at John Deere. I called the company and they said that it has no fines is not a compost and is an 1/8" to 1/2". They could not give me a % of how much 1/8" to 1/4" I'd get from it.

Item Description:
    "Uncle Doug's Deco Bark Bits:
    This decorative bark product provides a small and uniform material to enhance landscape, define planter areas and provide a textured surface for potted plants. This bark product is available in 2 cubic foot bags.

Ingredients: Ground fir, bark.

Usage: Enhances landscape areas, defines planter areas, provides a textured surface for potted plants, reduces soil temperature, retains moisture, suppresses weeds, reduces soil erosion."

Can someone confirm that this will do? If not I'll try to track down Wonder Bark (aka Orchard Bark) or the Mini Nuggets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bark Bits

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

This is the stuff at OSH but I dont know if is the EXACT stuff but I think it would work.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:587857}}

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

This stuff would work well. I think its exactly what the recipe calls for.

http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/productTemplate.jsp?proId=prod70462&itemId=cat60020&tabs=general

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:587858}}

• gynot
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just found this also. Would someone care to comment?

I'm just about to make my screening frames, so I still haven't made my mix yet. Yeah I'm a bit behind.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1/4 CF Fine Fir Bark

• gynot
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just found this also. Would someone care to comment?

I'm just about to make my screening frames, so I still haven't made my mix yet. Yeah I'm a bit behind.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1/4 CF Fine Fir Bark

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Hi gynot...YES, that last picture you posted of the Fir bark should work out well.

I've also used Pine Bark Fines that I've purchased at Walmart for under $3 for 2cf size bag. This is what it looks like after I've sifted all the dust and tiny pieces...

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Wow, puglvr. What a find at Walmart, who would have known. Great tip. Now, all this being said, Mike and all you other container citrus folks, since I live is such a warm and very dry climate here in N. San Diego county, I use smaller bark pieces in my EB Stone Cactus Mix. I actually want/need some water retention or during the summer I would have to literally water my container citrus twice a day. Here's what it contains (I don't know if this is in order of highest to lowest quantity - I need to run out to my potting area to see what the label says exactly), but this is from their web site:

Contains Fir Bark, Lava Rock, Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss, Sand, Redwood Compost and Mushroom Compost.

I know it has sphagnum peat moss in it, which I'm not thrilled about due to the non-renewability of that product, but all other contents seem to be pretty good, and I will post some pics of my little Ortanique tangor that is coming back from death's door. It is very, very happy in this mix, along with some Osmocote. I have to really keep my container stuff in the KISS line of thinking with my very full time job, or they'll die from neglect :-) I'll also snap a photo of the mix so I can get some opinions. So far, I've got 2 citrus in pots that are really, really doing well and have come back from a bad start using this combo.

Patty S.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Hi Patty, That mix you mentioned sounds pretty good (the sphagnum peat moss) is something I use ( a small amount) to help with water retention or my soil would dry out much too quickly too. I don't use it for my Jades and Succulents, but use it for most of my container plants that like it a little moist.

The only ingredient that I see listed that "might" be a problem is the sand. If the sand is very fine it might clog up your mix...but if its a small amount it might be okay.

Congrats on your 2 Citrus doing well, you must be doing it right!

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

It ends up not being very dense, and does dry out pretty quickly, so I have to keep an eye on my citrus in the containers (and my other plants in containers, also, as I use this for most of my container plants). So far, it hasn't presented any water retention issue for me. I use this mix obviously for my succulents and they are also doing quite well. I have many, many succulents in containers here, as they do exceptionally well in my neck of the woods in containers, plus, they're just plain fun :-) I am wondering, though, the best fertilizer. I have been using Osmocote, which my citrus seem to like, but it doesn't contain any minors, so after those are depleted from the potting mix, I expect my container citrus may show signs of micronutrient deficiencies. Som, thinking of switching to Osmocote Plus, which is their new product that does contain minors. I know many folks on the forum use DynaGro Foliage Pro, but frankly, I'm too lazy to mix this up every month, lol!! So, we'll see how they fare with Osmocote Plus. Here's a befor and after of my little Ortanique. First photo was last August, and it was just barely a stick, poor thing. And second photo was taken this morning:
    {{gwi:587863}}

Here the little Ortanique today:
    {{gwi:587864}}

{{gwi:587865}}

Patty S.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Very nice Patty! There's a product by Dynamite for Citrus, but its not available in many places...but you can use the all purpose and its pretty good as well, Its slow release and last up to 9 months. For people that don't like to fertilize often,lol...it has micros in it as well.

I've used the red, green container with good results. Those are available at HD.
    Dynamite Fertilizer Products

Here is a link that might be useful: Dynamite Citrus Fertilizer