Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertdance

Help Me! I'm lazy!! If you chose 21 varieties, Which Ones?

I am happy to report that my Flying Dragon rootstock seeds are producing more seedlings than expected.

They will not all be dwarf, but some definitely are! They are rising from their root riot cubes all twisty and little, and they are growing slow. Their Brothers are straight and tall, so not dwarf. I'll use those for practice in budding.

We are planting a row of 21 dwarf citrus on our frontage. So, here is the dilemma! 21 different varieties! Which ones do I want? I would love your suggestions and experiences with the different ones.

All the rootstock is Flying Dragon. I can order budwood from CCPP in July for delivery in September. There are tons of varieties!! I'm not a fan of kumquat, so that is out. Please tell me what you would order if you lived where Citrus thrive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus Clonal Protection Program

Comments (27)

• eahamel
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hmm. Interesting question! Here are some of my favorites:

Cara Cara naval orange
    Rio Red grapefruit
    Bloomsweet grapefruit
    Any mandarin or clementine
    Have you tasted the sweet kumquat, Meiwa? It isn't like the sour/sweet Nagami at all.

• Ryan
    10 years ago

You will want to find out what you like. There are many flavor profiles out there. I would recommended you go out and start tasting fruit and plant what you like.

Here are some of my personal favorites:

Moro
    Tarocco
    Meiwa
    Bearss
    key
    Meyer
    fimenello lemon
    Tango
    kishu
    Dekopan
    USDA 88-2
    valentine
    oroblanco
    Page
    owari
    Seto
    Xie Shan
    miyagawa

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you eahamel! I will add your choices to my pre-order.

We have a Ruby Red Grapefruit, a Valencia Orange, a Bearrs lime, a couple lemons, but no naval oranges. There is one mandarin on the property, so I can get budwood from that.

I have not tasted Meiwa, so maybe I'll give it a chance on your recommendation!
    Suzi

Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow! That's a great list! I'm taking your recommendations under consideration, and will do research on flavor profiles.

Happily we live in Southern California in a micro-climate. There are many citrus orchards in the valley below, and they have freeze protection fans installed. Our new neighbor told me that our hill is much warmer than the valley below. He said you can watch the temperature change as you drive up the road. Heat rises, I guess.

Thanks Ryanlo!
    Suzi

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

"They will not all be dwarf, but some definitely are!" Suzi, Flying Dragon is what it is. Not necesarily "dwarf", as Fly Dragon on it's own eventually can get fairly large, but all your seeds will be the same. You'll not have some that are dwarfed and some that are not. They will all be the same, Suzi. Flying Dragon, when used as a rootstock will definitely impart a dwarfing, and slow growing quality to whatever cultivar you opt to graft to it. So, just to clarify you original statement.

As to varieties, why don't you tell us what you like to eat? No sense in recommending citrus you don't care for. You mentioned kumquats being out. Anything else you don't like, and what do you LIKE? If you can narrow it down, we can then narrow down the suggestions for you :-)

Patty S.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Patty,

To answer your question, I like ruby red grapefruit because it's sweet and not bitter. I like juicy citrus. So, as far as eating fruit goes, I am sure anything that is not bitter or pithy would be great!

I like to cook, and enjoy citrus in salads and salsas. I can make a mean margarita, so all things juicy are great!

I have never tried a blood orange, so that's on my wish list.

I only know what I read in the "other" forum about true dwarf Flying Dragon seedlings must have curved thorns, and twisted stems. The straight stemmed, straight thorned seedlings are Flying Dragon, and will make good root-stock, but will not be dwarf. I'm so new to this, you can call me clueless! :-))

Someone posted a cool article over there, and I found it quite interesting. It's on rootstocks in general. I found the polyembryonic part interesting, and I hope it's true!

Suzi

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus Propagation and Rootstocks

• eahamel
    10 years ago

Washington Navel Orange is also very good. It was the first navel orange and is still found in stores. I don't recommend Republic of Texas, if it's on your list, though. It's really hard to peel, the peel is stuck to the fruit sections and they tear off with the peel. Other than that, it's a great orange, sweet and juicy.

If there's a store near you that carries a lot of citrus when it's in season, maybe some now even, go there and try some. That's how I decided upon a few of mine (Cara Cara Navel Orange and Rio Red Grapefruit and Chandler Pomelo). And that's how I decided not to get a Mineola Tangelo or Page Mandarin, both are too sour for my taste.

Original Author
    10 years ago

eahamel,

I'm with you on "sour," with the exception of lemons!

I will definitely do my best to try at some produce-type stands, or farm fairs. Most citrus here has already done bearing, so I may have to wait until late fall or winter, and my budding should be done by then... BUT since we have several standard citrus on the property, I am pretty sure if I find a winner, I can graft or bud onto an existing full grown tree.

I will say that we do have a small vineyard currently which will extend itself greatly on our new property. I love the layers of flavors that present while tasting wine, so any citrus that tastes mainly of "orange," with a kick of something else is a good thing!

I think I like sweet, juicy, complicated flavors. The unexpected! You eat an orange, and you expect an orange, but it kinda tastes a little like pink lemonade with an undertone of pear.........hmmmmmmmmm...

If there is no acid in citrus, it tastes blah, so not interested in those at all.

I would say I'm not a fan of too many seeds either.

You have all been so helpful!
    Suzi

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much everyone!

I loved your explanations, Patty!

I hope these recommendations help everyone here decide on their next citrus adventure!

I just went out and counted the seedlings, and there are exactly 21 with many more simmering. I can see little green tips on swollen seeds which is a good indication!

Thanks again!
    Suzi

Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I looked up all of these excellent recommendations on the CCPP, and to my dismay they do not offer

Tango Mandarin
    Lee x Nova mandarin
    Powell Navel
    Valentine Pummelo hybrid.

They have all the others, though, and I'll be very busy budding and crossing my fingers! I may try to purchase those varieties separately for another spot in the yard.

Suzi

10 years ago

Yes they do, Suzi, look again. The Valentine is definitely there, is is the first cultivar listed on the Early Release form. So is the Lee x Nova (USDA 88-2 Lee x Nova on the Screenhouse form). Tango is also on the main screenhouse form, last mandarin in the mandarin section. The only one I'm not finding is Powell, but a quick email to CCPP may give you the answer for that one.

Patty S.

Original Author
    10 years ago

My big mistake! I looked on the variety list, not on the forms!

I just sent an email for the licensing agreement.

Thanks Patty!

Suzi

• sugar_land_dave
    10 years ago

Bloomsweet Grapefruit
    Ujukitsu Sweet Lemon
    Moro Blood Orange
    Kishu Seedless Mandarin
    Any Variety of Satsuma
    Rio Red Grapefruit
    Page Mandarin
    Ponkan Mandarin
    Cara Cara Orange
    Washington Navel Orange
    Loquat (not citrus, but a delicious fruit)

• Ryan
    10 years ago

Yes, Ponkan! Somehow that missed my list. very good fruit.

• keylime123
    10 years ago

Minneola tangelos are good

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Okay, I'll bite.

If you like cooking and juicy is important, the overwhelming choice is Meyer lemon. I like to tell chefs that if you don't know the Meyer, you are not a chef... you are a cook.

In addition to my 21,000 Meyers, I have 3 Oro Blanco (maybe the best grapefruit); 3 Chandler pomelos; 3 Washington navel oranges; 8 Cara Cara oranges; 3 Pixie mandarins; 4 Midknight Valencia oranges; 3 Bearss limes; 3 Macrophyllas (for seed for rootstock); 1 Sugar navel orange (nobody likes it); 1 kumquat, 3 Key limes, 1 calamondin; and a partridge in a pear tree.

• User
    10 years ago

Patty, based on your suggestions, I'm trying to locate a Smith Red Valencia, Valentine Pummelo, Lee x Nova (USDA 88-2), and a Powell Navel. What are your suggestions for finding these trees?

How does the CCPP work? I have no idea how to utilize budwood.

• aslan89
    10 years ago

Kishu mandarin
    Page mandarin
    Meyer lemon

If I had access to it, I'd have a Tango mandarin too

10 years ago

Okay, Smith Red Valencia is frequently available - I would try calling around your local larger garden centers. Usually Walter Andersen Nursery in Poway or San Diego has it or can get it, same with Armstrong Nurseries - they can usually find one for you. Not sure if Clausen's has them, you can try calling them to see. Lee x Nova is carried by Walter Andersen in Poway, that's where I got mine. Valentine is propagated by Durling Nursery in La Paz/Fallbrook. That is a HOOF, let me tell you, but they do deliver, and frankly, it's worth the delivery charge as they are way, way the heck west of Fallbrook literally out in the middle of nowhere (almost up against the east side of Camp Pendelton). You can also ask them if they ship their Valentine's to a nursery close to you, and possibly set up a special order with your local nursery through Durling's.

CCPP allows you to order budwood. You would have to know how to cleft of bud graft, you would have to purchase rootstock, and you'd have to have the ability to keep your grafted trees in a moist environment. Citrus grafting is a little trickier than, say, stone fruit grafting. And, there is a wait of several years before you would see a tree large enough to support fruit.

Patty S.

• yukkuri_kame
    10 years ago

Oooh...Deserdance! Late to this thread, haven't read all the posts yet, just jumping in.

I want to order budwood from CCPP, if you haven't already, would you be willing to have someone piggyback on your order?

I have some tiny seedlings, but also a big useless mandarin(?) I want to top work the whole thing.

Planning on making a cocktail tree, so I want variety, but only a few buds of each type. I'd be happy with 4-6 buds of each variety, rather than 12.

Mostly interested in:

Satsumas
    Oro Blanco Grapefruit
    Pommelo
    Oranges especially navels (any type but valencia - have that)
    Meyer Lemon
    Kumquats
    Yuzu
    Otherwise, not picky...

This post was edited by yukkuri_kame on Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 22:26

• gregbradley
    10 years ago

From the Inland Empire, Durling in "way west" Fallbrook is still 40 miles closer than Walter Anderson in Poway.

Armstrong orders are simple, you just tell them the variety and they will get it from Durling or LaVerne. They have been unwilling to order citrus from anywhere else for me.

88-2 could be more trouble than it is worth with all of the readily available excellent varieties like Kishu, Pixie, Gold Nugget, Tango, etc.

I have been unable to find Powell anywhere. The patent holder was bought by Limoneira company. I've been told it is available from Michaelis or B&Z in Porterville. B&Z is across the street from a private airport in Porterville. I may fly up there after it cools off a bit and see if I can come back with a couple plants. They do claim to be wholesale only, but then so does Durling.

10 years ago

Powell was being carried by Clifton's. An expensive option, but they did carry Powell (Australian Late). 88-2 is also carried by Walter Andersen Nursery. But, again, down in San Diego County (Poway would be the closest). And yes, almost all of the wholesale nurseries are kind enough to sell you their trees if you show up at their door :-) I buy from Willits & Newcomb this way (the only place I can get a Santa Teresa Femminello lemon since my Costco's have changed their vendor for citrus here in San Diego county), as well as Clausen's & Durling's. Greg, check your Armstrong and see if they will also order from Monterey Bay Nursery. Most Armstrong's do, but it may be that they are moving out of the citrus business due to the costs of trying to grow the trees and ship them. So, I think Luen is cutting way back on his citrus cultivars, which is too bad. He used to carry a lot of very unusual stuff.

Patty S.

• User
    10 years ago

POWELL - Here’s what John Dhanens (owner of Clifton’s) e-mailed in response to my inquiry about the Powell navel a little earlier: “There was an ag 'issue' they found in some commercial citrus groves just south of our nursery here in Porterville. Long story short, all my citrus inventory has been temporarily put 'off sale' per the instruction and order of the USDA while they sort things out. Call me if you need more info or clarification.” Haven't called him yet.

Spoke with a rep earlier at Monterey Bay Nursery and they don’t have any now and didn’t know if they’d be carrying any in the future. Called Armstrong in Claremont and they won’t do any orders with them until maybe Fall, but more than likely Spring.

What would be a suitable replacement for the Powell considering the challenges getting it pose?

VALENTINE PUMMELO - Durling carries it, but only have large wooden, 24” containers (close to $300), so I’ll wait until they have smaller sizes.

88-2 - I called Walter Andersen earlier. Tyler, the individual who does the orders is out until Monday; will call back then. They checked their stock in SD and no luck.

Thanks Greg and Patty :)

10 years ago

Well, another option for a later navel would be Lane Late, which is used extensively, especially in the hotter inland areas (you'll see folks successfully growing Lane Late in the Palm Springs area), as well as Chislett. I have not tried Autumn Gold, but have heard good things about it. I think Willits & Newcomb propagate Autumn Gold.

Patty S.

• gregbradley
    10 years ago

Lane Late will be readily available and cheap for Ben at Sunshine Growers in Corona or Ontario. Both of them just west of the 15 Fwy, one just south of 60, the other a few miles south of the 91.

• User
    10 years ago

Planning on making a trip down to Durling this Saturday for a Kishu, Gold Nugget and Tango; I have 3 spots ready for these. Need to place my order by tomorrow they said for Sat pickup. Plan to go with 15 gal dwarf trees for each of these so my little girls can enjoy the fruit sooner than later.

As I prep the other area with a French drain per your recs Patty, I'll hold on the other cultivars for now and continue the search. Thanks guys.