Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msugrl2010

New Cara Cara Orange Tree!! :)

msugrl2010
10 years ago

Hey All!

My cara cara orange tree came today! I planted it in Al's gritty mix. mix is a ratio of 1:1:1 of granite grit (chicken grit), turface MVP, and fir bark (repti bark). I sifted out all the small particles, then mixed it all in together. Then I rinsed out the rootball of the tree and as carefully as I could planted it in the pot with the mix. I hope I did a good job potting it! I took some pictures, what do you all think?

question about fertilizing. I'm going to use dyna gro foliage pro, and on the bottle it says fertilize once a week, but I've heard people fertilizing as much as everytime they water! how often do you guys fertilize (for those who use dyna gro).

I took a picture of the root crown too, anyone think too much is exposed or is it just right? I just really want this tree to thrive!

I'd love anyone's opinion!

Comments (6)

• msugrl2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the root crown

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

I hope someone answers positively for what you did. That is exactly what I started doing 3 months ago and I had a fatality rate of 25 % . last year my fatality rat was 99.3% before I started lifting the root up by 1/2 inch. However you might want to shade the roots to prevent sunscald.

{{gwi:576119}}
    the root started at the seed leaf and that junction is 1/3 inch above the soil line

• Ryan
    10 years ago

I think it depends on what environment(s) or climate your tree will be living in. Not knowing too much about Michigan's climate (I assume this because of the MSU part of your - Michigan State University?) I may not be the most qualified to answer this.

I'll just assume for the most part the tree will live inside for most of the year- 6-8months?. If this correct, AL's mix is probably perfect for your tree. AL's mix is best for indoor/outdoor trees spending most of there time in partial or some shade when outside(around 6hours of direct sun). If your tree is exposed to much more light(10hours+) you will find AL's mix is not Ideal for your tree. It will dry out too quickly. As with any soil type, its a balancing act. Not all soils are good at everything. So, as long as you have an indoor/outdoor tree and when outdoor it receives medium about of direct light it should thrive in that mix.

The depth of the root crown is not low enough. It's probably not enough to require a re-pot but, that's probably the best thing to do. If you don't want to re-pot you can push some soil up around the crown to cover it, creating a small pyramid type shape.

As far as fertilization rates Its probably best to fertilize once a week and allow runoff, and in between watering with no fertilizer allow for minimum runoff. This way, for the most part the fertilizer is not washed away on in between waterings. Of course watch the tree and adjust as necessary.

• msugrl2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nice tree poncirusguy!

Thanks for the comment Ryanlo!, yes I went to MSU, so I'm in Michigan :). The tree will be outside from May-Septemberish (depending on how warm September will be this year) and it'll be inside October-April. I'll add a bit more of the mix to cover the root crown a little more.

How often should I water? it's harder to tell with this mix than with regular soil as to when the tree needs water. Right now the temperature is in the mid 60s to early 70s, if that helps. Thanks for the tip on fertilizing! Should I fertilize it for the first time after it has been in its new pot for a week? I just don't want to stress it out and make it drop its leaves LOL.

Thanks for your help! If Meyermike is still around it'd be great to get his opinion too! :)

MSUgrl2010

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Hello! Nice work!
    Yes, cover those exposed roots, just a light covering.

Use a wooden kabob skewer or similar dowel stuck deep into the container to determine when to water. While the tree is establishing its roots, you *do* need to keep the mix more uniformly moist in the upper layers (where the roots are). Many folks fail to water appropriately and end up with lots of dried, dead roots - which either kills the tree or lengthens the recovery.

Next item: relocated the stake. I like to place the stake about an inch from the edge of the container, on the side opposite the direction the tree wants to lean. Then, just loosely tie the tree to the stake with some twine.

Fertilization: two weeks after re-potting, begin fertilization. I fertilize once a week (Fertilizer Friday), with a full-strength dose of Foliage Pro. I water 2 - 3 times a week during the hot Summer season. If you wish to fertilize twice a week, simply cut the dose in half. If you wish to fertilize every time you water, cut the dose to 1/4 strength.

Josh