Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No Fruit on Calamondin Orange Tree

Posted by diddywy2 (My Page) on
Wed, May 24, 06 at 20:32

I have a Calamondin Orange tree now for 3 years. I bring it indoors for the winter but it spends spring and summer on my patio. It flowered and produced fruit the first year but the last two years it has flowered but no fruit has followed. It looks very healthy otherwise. Any ideas how I can get it to make fruit again?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No Fruit on Calamondin Orange Tree

Let it undergo a little bit of water or cold stress, like slight wilting of leaves by withholding water but not to the point where it dies. Then resumer fertilizing and watering.

Pampering it all the time without any stress discourages blooming.

o

Did it produce a lot of flowers the last 2 years with no fruit, or just a few?

o

Yes, it has produced a lot of flowers the last 2 years but no fruit follows.

o

Hmmm, thinking of things that would interfere with fruit set.... I don't think that temperatures are the answer, if you got flowers to form and I'll assume the temps are good and warm since it spends spring and summer outdoors. I don't think calamondins need lots of heat to set fruit, plus it has spring and summer to do so ( where are you anyway?).

How about adequate moisture? If the tree gets too dry it will bloom as joereal stated, but if you don't resume good care then it may not keep those flowers/fruit.

Maybe adequate nutrition? If there isn't enough energy for the tree to maintain the fruit you'll get more drop, but you state that the tree looks healthy--you must be giving it some sort of fertilizer.

Any other stressors?--like lots of wind when outside maybe? Or anything different from the first year to the last 2 years?

HTH.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here