Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonechickchris

Greenhouse citrus and shade cloth question?

bonechickchris
9 years ago

Hi guys, I just had a quick question that I am mainly focusing on citrus growers of the northern half of country, or North East growers in particular.

I live in NJ which is obviously not a local citrus region. I grow my citrus in a Solexx greenhouse which is great, however, I have been having some overheating problems even with an exhaust fan and vents. Sometimes even with the fan on and vents open, it still gets to be in the upper 90's or 100'sF. I wanted to get a shade cloth, but was weary about purchasing one because I know citrus are a very sun seeking tree, and while I want to cool off the greenhouse I do not want to compromise the citrus by weaking their light needs by using a shade cloth. I know in Fla where the sun is closer to the earth, a shade cloth is fine, but being in the north east, I am wondering if a shade cloth would take away too much light need for the citrus.

So I was curious if anyone in a similar region who grow citrus the same way have been successful with using a shade cloth while growing citrus and if they are successful, what % shade cloth block you are using that is with citrus?
Thank you so much! Christy

Comments (2)