Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bchumbley_gw

Calamondin Questions

bchumbley
14 years ago

About two months ago I purchased a small calamondin tree from the hardware store down the street. When I got it it did not have very many leaves on it and was in a very small pot. The day I got I replanted it in a bigger pot with potting soil and watered it with a little "Acid-loving plants Miracle grow" in the water. It immediately reacted and grew many new leaves. After only a couple weeks though it started losing many of its original leaves and now has non of them. After reading some of the posts here I changed my watering habits so that I water less and I mixed in some coconut husk into the soil so it drains better. It has not shown any signs of new growth in a few weeks now and I am worried I am still doing something wrong. Also I keep it in side by a west facing window but I like to put it on the patio when its warm out. so It gets lots of direct sun light after about 1pm. I spray it with a mister bottle sometimes but I will admit I forget to do this most days. Any advice I can get to see more growth from my tree would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments (10)

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

I would say...Just be patient...

It went through a shock of some sort. Whether you fed it, or repotted it, or because it is in a different enviroment, it is just reacting to it, but probably not dying..

Just let it settle in a well draining soil, keep it in a spot with lots of warm sun, and I gaurentee you it will flush with new growth faster than you think.
    The most important thing is not to overwater right now since it is probably not drinking much until it starts to function properly again...

Keep us up to date..ok

What temps do you get at night now?

• bchumbley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the advice meyermike_1micha. Im trying to be patient but my tree is getting much worse and I dont really have any faith that it will make a come back.
    My condo stays very warm all of the time and I only open the window or the door next to the plant during the day, so its about 70+ most of the time.
    I would like to post some pics to give you a better idea of what is going on but I dont know how. All of the leaves are dead now but havent fallen of yet and the branches are turning black from the top down. The plants decline started almost the day after I put the coconut husks into the soil, but I did not disturb the roots when I did this. Also I have not been watering very much at all, maybe once a week.
    Thanks again, any additional help would be very much appreciated.

• kylew
    14 years ago

I know of 2 experienced citrus growers in Colorado that do well with CHCs. So, when I started my citrus collection that is what I used. I then watched my plants die.
    Just because experts use a media does not mean it will work for everyone. For instance, I do not have a greenhouse as these other 2 growers have and I likely water more than they do.
    When I inspected my dead plants I found that almost all of them had a high perched water table and the roots were rotting. I suggest you pull your plant and look at what is going on at the roots.
    You mention you did not disturb the roots when you added CHCs- this means to me you probably did not actually alter the drainage properties of the soil at the roots.
    I have switched to Al's gritty mix- should be much more favorable to an overwaterer such as me. It is still early but I am am pleased so far.
    Also, I have my plants outside in our weather (I am in Greeley).
    BTW- what hardware store had a calamondin?

Kyle

• lali
    14 years ago

If your nights are above freezing, you can put your calamondin outside without issues. I looked up weather in Denver, CO and it seems that nights are around mid-40s+, so it may benefit the plant to put it outside to dry out the medium a bit and give the plant some light (start out with bright light, not full sun).

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Just to confirm what Kyle is saying...

When "coconut husk chips" were first gaining popularity, I too planted several of mine right in them, even after barerooting some, and some not.
    Well, I can attest to this day I will never do that again, since I lost everyone of them to rot. You REALLY have to know how to work with this stuff, since the husks can hold moisture for DAYS even though the outside of them may seem dry.
    BTW, I too use Al's gritty mix, and my plants have never been better!!
    If you insist on using coconut at all, why not try the coco fiber or coir.
    I had a couple of meyers and a ponderosa that lost almost every branch and as far as I was concerned, dead by Feb of last year..
    One this year, because I overwatered it when it had no leaves, dormant for the winter.
    So not to waste my gritty mix, I use what fiber and coir I had, 1/2 perlite and half coco, and they have ALL come back to life with full vengence in the full sun..
    I hope it all works out for you...
    Mike..:-)

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

One of the cool things I read about Calamondin is it's hardy to around 20°. Although, I live in Fl and its not anywhere as important for me than most of you that grow here, we do still occasionally get "freeze" warnings. Its nice not to have to protect and cover my Calamondin and Kumquat. I have many young tropical fruit trees that I have to protect during our few nights of freezing temps, so one or two that I don't have to protect is always a plus.

Personally, I love Al's gritty mix for all my plants! I bought a Calamondin a few months ago, originally my goal was to try and shape it like a bonsai, so I root pruned almost half the roots, removed all the peat soil and stuck in in a very small pot(bought it in a 3 gallon pot on clearance)...a few weeks later, when I started to see blooms, I changed my mind and decided to let it grow in a little larger pot and let it do its thing. I thought with all that root disturbance and pruning the branches would have put that poor calamondin into shock? Thank goodness, that tree is very strong...now it is growing really well, lots of blooms and baby fruits. I can't believe how well this little tree is doing considering all that I've put this thing through,lol...I still want to do a Calamondin bonsai, but I will start with a smaller plant.

I agree with checking your roots and see if it is rotting, could be from the soil staying too wet...I would try and do a repot using a fast draining soil. If in fact it is in a decline, you have little to lose. You can at least try and save it...Good luck!

Below is a link to a great Calamondin article...note the hardiness according to them...20°

Here's some pictures! I'm not suggesting you do this to your tree in fear that it will not turn out for you, just letting you know what I've done with mine.

Right after I bought...Before surgery
    {{gwi:588334}}
    Pruned almost one half of the roots
    {{gwi:588335}}
    After removing all the peat soil, had to cut off a little more roots to fit in the pot.
    {{gwi:588336}}
    Now three months later...blooming and baby fruits
    {{gwi:588337}}
    {{gwi:588338}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Calamondin Link

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

You can't tell me it is the Florida weather on your side nancy, cause I know many that fail even there.
    It is a unique gift you have to make things grow so beautiful, no matter where you live, and a gift to have you show us how to do it...;-)

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Thanks Mike :o)!! That means a lot...you are a very nice guy!!

• ajaysr5
    14 years ago

When i 1st got my calamondin it went to shock and leaves started falling.I called the nursery i got them from and he said to re-plant them but put palm and cactus mix as the main soil.within a couple of days i started to notice no leaves were dropping.This is how the plants look like now after 2 months.(note:that leaves you are seeing is caused by my 1.5year old son)
    {{gwi:582918}}

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Ajay, NICE Variegated Calamondin...I love the pretty leaves. Hopefully I will see some yellow ripe fruits in several months. I think they take almost a year to fully mature...is this right?