Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
renelyn_gw

no blooms

renelyn
12 years ago

I have a 30 year old orange tree that has given us great fruit every year. Ready in late Feb, it always started blooming as I was harvesting. Not this year, and here we are in May and I still don't have any blooms! The tree is in excellent health with dark green healthy leaves, no blemishes or bugs. Not having blooms for the first time ever has me very confused. Any help on why is appreciated.

Comments (3)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Renelyn, I'm thinking it just may be due to our very chilly and very wet winter and spring. We just had some pretty hot weather, so watch in the next week or two, to see if you start seeing a flush and tiny blossoms starting to form. Especially if you fertilized with a lot of nitrogen before or during all the rains. You may have promoted just lovely green healthy leaves, and postponed your blossom time a bit.

Patty S.

• renelyn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Patty! You have just given me hope :-) I think what has thrown me is that I see other orange trees in my area/neighborhood already growing fruit..( and some of those trees aren't even taken care of! ) and here I still wait for blossoms. I have searched high and low on the internet and have not found any postings on the end of blossoming season, but you are right in that we had a wet/chilly winter and sudden hot weather. Thanks!

• sandiegodude
    12 years ago

My orange tree bloomed normally, but my lemon tree was later than last year. The cool winter (and the cool summer last year) might have something to do with it.

Good luck!