Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best graft for root stock stump?

Posted by brownmola So Cal (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 12 at 21:16

Hello, I was in a friend's yard and he was throwing away a pot that had a stump left in it. Upon further inspection, it looks like a trifoliata rootstock (a 2 foot tall, 3 leafed sprout was shooting out of the side of it and whatever was grafted on top was completely cut off except for about 1 inch. I'd like to cut off the top 1" and then graft onto the root stock. The root stock is about 1.5" in diameter.

What is the best method for this circumstance? Or is it a goner? The rootstock still looks alive whereas the remaining 1" graft/trunk above it looks dry/dead. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best graft for root stock stump?

If it is cut off to a 1.5" diameter stump, a bark graft is the best choice and one of the easiest and most successful graft types. Scratch the bark in the area you intend to cut the stump back to and check to see if it is green underneath. I'd probably make sure to cut it below the original graft, no reason to retain any of the original scion as an interstock. If it has been cut in the last few weeks and hasn't been allowed to totally dry out for an extended period, it should be alive. If the scion wood you intend to use is readily available to you, there isn't much to loose in an attempt.

Lots of good videos posted on youtube of bark grafting, as well as other types of grafts. One tip on bark grafts is to shave the edges of the scion bevel cut to expose a sliver of cambium on the sides of the bevel. It can really improve the take percentage and recovery time on problem grafts.

o

Awesome. Thanks! I was thinking of doing a bark graft in this situation. Do people usually nail the scion into the rootstock or just wrap the scion?

o

I think you can cut a notch in the rootstock and in the scion to fit like a puzzle? Would that work with the bark method?

For example, picture a diagonal cut with a notch in it on the rootstock. Now picture the same diagonal cut on the scion with an opposite notch cut to fit in/against the rootstock. Then wrap it up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here