Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcogiudice79

Problems Diagnosing Naval Orange Tree

marcogiudice79
10 years ago

i have a Naval orange tree on a swingle root-stock that are about 4 yrs old. This past Fall/Winter it bore oranges. Then this past spring it didn't produce blooms. I just fertilized it and took it as a rest period and moved on.. Then i sprayed it with horticulture oil to stop the citrus leaf miners.. A week later i noticed it started dropping a ton of leaves.. i thought it was due to spray burned.. it went from a bushy full tree to a almost bald eagle.. Then i noticed the leaves were starting to dis-color. I'm not sure if im getting citrus yellowing disease and citrus cankers.. So i need help diagnosing this tree

Comments (8)

• marcogiudice79
    Original Author
    10 years ago

is this citrus canker?

• marcogiudice79
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here's one more

• marcogiudice79
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can't believe no one is willing to help a fellow grower out!

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Marco,

It looks like your tree is quite underfed; which is why it didn't make flowers. Horticultural oil is not a good treatment for CLM (Citrus Leaf Miner); but any oil, if applied at temperatures over 80 F will do serious damage to the leaves.
    You don't say where you live, or what is the pH of you soil and water; it looks your tree is not getting essential minerals like maybe Iron or Manganese. In high pH soils,... over 7... you should probably add chelated minerals to keep your tree happy.
    BTW, I am no expert in oranges; so expect someone smarter than I to give you better advice.

• marcogiudice79
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Johnmerr thanks for responding, i live in south fl and my soil pH for the the citrus tree is at about 6-7 i add fresh compost and cow manure to the top of the soil every spring and fall and i deeply water it 2x a week.. i use citrus formulated fertilizer... Also im not sure if it was the same as horticulture oil, but it was the Ortho Volck oil spray... is that the same as hort oil or different? also what is this chelated minerals you are speaking about...
    Expert or not i appreciate your response and help

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Marco, if you want to spray for CLM, you'll want to combine Volck oil (which is one of the hort oils) and Spinosad. Spray every 3 weeks during your CLM season. Or, you can use Bayer Advanced Fruit Tree & Vegetable Insect Control about 2 weeks before CLM hits, then treat again in 6 months. Can't speak to Citrus Canker, but it does look like what I see in photos when I search for it. I've included a link below, and I would contact your local ag agent for a positive ID. And, I believe you are referring to Citrus Greening disease, or Huonglongbing (HLB). Being in Florida, again, contact your local ag agent for a positive ID, since it is so prevalent in Florida. It does not look like HLB to me, but chlorosis of some kind (iron, zinc, manganese), which would mean apply more citrus fertilizer and make sure it has a full complement of micros as well as your NPK macros. Cheleated micros make them available to your tree to take up. You can find cheleated micronutrients or minerals at your better garden center.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus ID Tools: Citrus Canker

• marcogiudice79
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Patty, Thank you for your response. really quick, I forgot to mention that I had a lot of twig dead back also with the leaf drop.. After further research I think it under nourished. Also will spraying the tree with the volck oil make the leaves drop it temps over 80ð? and will I have to cut down my tree if I have citrus canker, or can I do something about it and just have ugly blemishes on my beautiful trees/oranges? Thank You Again Patty S.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Do not apply any hort oil if temps threaten to be 85 or above. It can fry your leaves and tender branches. Again, I do not know much about Citrus Canker, but your local ag agent will. I would call them for a definitive diagnosis and then treatment options.

Patty S.