Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heather_leigh

Young citrus look more like bushes- growing weird?

Heather Leigh
11 years ago

Hi there,

I read this forum all the time, and now I am finally a member! I really hope you all can help me.

I moved into a house with a great big yard. The previous owner of the house planted a lot of trees, mainly citrus, about 10 or so- I think from clippings and seeds. I have 2 questions. Part one:

I don't know what most of them are. I know one is a lemon, because it grew one lemon last year, and one is definitely pink grapefruit. I have smelled the leaves and I can't tell what the others are. I think one smells like lime and one smells like orange, but I could be just wanting that. 2 of them have fruit that is shaped like lime or lemon at the moment, but still very green- so I can't tell. Is there a way to know? One of the trees has massive thorns- like an inch or longer and sharp, also very little leaves.

Now question 2: These trees don't really look like trees. The trunk of the trees are all maybe 6 inches, and then they have lots of very long branches growing upwards. Some of them are quite tall as well, maybe 8 feet, but not really shaped like a traditional tree and there really isn't a trunk or outward branches to shape them. Is this normal?

Oh shoot! One more question. The one with the awful thorns has one branch with completely different shaped leaves very long and pointy where the other leaves are very small and oval. Also, the leaves don't smell like much. I checked to see if it was a sucker growing from the base, but it is growing from the same spot the rest of the branches are growing from. However, the trunk of the tree is only about 6 inches tall like described above.

One last bit of vital info. These trees were starved to death for almost 2 years as the house sat empty in the blazing inferno we call summer here in Phoenix. A good portion of all the trees have curled up leaves.

Oh yeah, question 4, if I can figure out what they are, will I know how tall they will get. I've been considering replacing a few with shade trees.

Please help! I've never owned trees before and really want lots of delicious fruit as well as a beautiful landscape and I'm frustrated because I can't find any info about weird shaped citrus trees! :)

Comments (14)