Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
citrus soil

Posted by jstn01 ca (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 12 at 22:42

I think its time to switch the soil in my citrus containers. I was hoping to get some recommendations on soil. My containers are 38 gallons each so there good size. Im switching it up cause of the work I been putting in on the soil conditions for the last two years. I was hoping that with everyones help I can find a easier and more effficient way on taking care of them. The citrus are in a azalea mix and potting soil mix 50/50 I know there is better ways but before iinvesting alot of money I wanted some thoughts
Thanks
Justin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: citrus soil

Justin,

I have mine in a mix of peat and rose soil, top dressed with 2" of cow manure compost and she is three years strong (changed her mix this year and shes looking really happy)

Happy Citrus!

o

If you browse the forum or do a forum search on "potting mix" "gritty mix" or "drainage", you will find complete diatribes on the topic LOL.
There are a million posts here regarding potting media- literally chapters have been written on the very question you are asking.
Click the link below- I've run the first search for you (for free!) and the results will help you decide which mix to opt for.

Here is a link that might be useful: Potting mixes

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Thu, May 3, 12 at 16:36

I would not use the gritty mix. Besides the cost for 38 + gallons the weight alone would break your back. I would either use Al's 5.1.1 or or a good bagged mix like Fafards "heavy weight" mixes. You might get away with good ole miracle grow with added perlite.

Mike

o

I guess I should've mentioned that I have 26 of these containers so price will be a issue. I will go ahead and go through the forum and see what I can find and look at the various methods
Thanks everyone
Justin

o

Justin: Very ipmortant

I think an even more important thing you should learn is the concept of growing in the confines of a container and how container soils work in relation to water movement.

Once you learn this concept, then you will choose what mix best works for you and especially your trees:-)

Enjoy

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Container soils-Water movement

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here