Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tango Mandarin suckers?

Posted by timrod98 8 (My Page) on
Wed, May 4, 11 at 22:53

I got this Tango last year at Lowes.
Tango Mandarin
I repotted it soon after I got it (soiless mix) and it seems to be doing ok. It had good growth this Spring and nice buds. A couple of decent sized "shoots" came off the graft area. I didn't think much about it until reading a question on the forum about suckers below graftline. The leaf on these "shoots" were very different from the leaves above the graftline. I pruned 3 of the 4 "suckers"...then ,as an afterthought, decided to post this with a picture. Photobucket

I hope these were "suckers".
Any comment is helpful.
thanks,
htp

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tango Mandarin suckers?

from the pic it looks like they might be above the graft line, but if the leaves are different then cut them off.

whats that long, thin, green branch look like (bottom pic)?

o

Tim, boy, rootstock or not, it IS close. How long did the stems get before you cut them back? Were they thorny?

Rootstock has different shaped leaves and large thorns.

It's best to prune stock when young, otherwise it leaves a scar.
Also, cuts should be made closest to the trunk. I doubt, at this point, it'll heal..

If possible, cut the remaining rootstock, nearest the trunk. Toni

o

Nope. Those do not look like they were suckers. The graft line is that thin line right below where the branches were cut off. Newly grafted trees will send out some fairly agressive shoots that often look like suckers, can have some significant thorns and grow fast. So thorns aren't always an indicator of sucker growth. However, different shaped leaves, especially if they are trifoliate are. You can leave these stubs and see if they bud. But doubtful they will unless you see a wee bud left on them. If they don't, then as hopeful said, best to trim close to the trunk they sprouted from.

Patty S.

o

Thanks for the quick responses. Now I feel like a butcher! Next time I'm in doubt I'll shoot pics and post BEFORE pruning...DUH!!!
These branches I pruned had gotten pretty long...15" or more. I am hoping it does not negatively affect the plant.
I have not had to deal with grafted plants before now. The Tango and the Dwarf Wash Navel are the first. My other citrus plants are all cuttings from the original that I rooted.
Thanks very much for the information.
htp

o

depends on how you want your tree to look. if you like it as a single main trunk tree then cut off any low branches. if you like it multi trunked or bushy looking, let them grow.

o

Not to worry, Tim! As houston said, you'll just now have a nice single trunk tree :-) Citrus are very resilient plants. It will survive just fine and end up having a nice, solid single trunk for you. You may end up liking how it looks better than a bushy-type tree.

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here