Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
korell_gw

New growth on Clementine tree

korell
9 years ago

I have an about 2-3 year old Nules Clementine that I purchased almost a year ago. It looks good, but has not grown much since last year, so I decided to feed it with Romeo Plant Food (24-14-14) from Four Winds Growers. I now see a lot of new growth developing at the base of several leaves and was wondering if that's "good" growth (see attached picture). Since it starts growing between leaf and stem it reminds me of suckers like on tomato plants, but everything I've read about citrus suckers is that they develop below the graft line on the root stock. These are definitely above the graft line in the main plant. I'm new to citrus plants, so my question is, should I let them grow or do they need to be pinched off?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• norwoodn
    9 years ago

if I were you I would be like yaayyy. that there is a good sign. definitely dont be pinching anything unless its dead or infested, or a rootstock sucker!

the bigger leaves look like theyre curling like cigars, how often do you water?

• korell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm definitely excited about the new growth :-)
    There is this one new branch, I swear I can see it grow. It has grown 6 inches in 2 weeks!
    I water about every week or two or when my soil tester shows it to be on the dry side (although it may have received some unintended rain lately). The leaf curling is strangely only on the branch in the foreground. The other ones look pretty good (as you may be able to see on the branch in the background).

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

This is perfectly normal new growth, korell.

Patty S.

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    9 years ago

I know this is old, but just want to give a shout out to Romeo fertilizer! It's a locally made fertilizer that's quite good!
    I have used it in the past, but unfortunately it's retail outlets have shrunk a lot in the past 10 years. I think Four Winds is one of the few retail outlets left.
    Romeo mostly sells to wholesale growers, most of the poinsettias in NorCal are grown with it, and I'm glad they have the business, but I miss it at my local garden center. Good stuff!

• maryjozone5
    8 years ago

You can also buy Romeo fertilizer at CalBegonia. I think I will just buy it from romeodirect.com though and pay the $9 shipping. It is cheaper to buy there than CalBegonia. I was going to buy some for my begonias, and fuschias, and would like to know if it will be good to put on all my other flowers too?

• maryjozone5
    8 years ago

I think I had to pay more like $15 for shipping and handling, but I am so excited to get it! I was able to buy 3 different kinds! 5 pounds of the 18-18-18 for my tuberous begonias, fuscias and annual flowering baskets that I dont' want to get too heavy! Then I got 1 pound of the 24-14-14 for when I am transplanting them when still small. Then when ready to flower I will switch over to 15-30-15 (I got 5 pounds of it), except for my tuberous begonias which they recommended I continue with 18-18-18 the whole summer!! They were so nice and helpful on the phone! I have lots of seedlings and cuttings and tubers growing that I spent lots of time to get to this stage! It will be nice to give them a healthy fertilizer! I told these guys in CA that here in IA we don't have a very long growing season- especially when our spring gets delayed like this year and that I am grateful for all the help I can get. I told them I have been fertilizing with fish emulsion and he said that is good, but this romeo fertilizer is just higher numbers! I am hoping this will last me for a couple years!

• hewatn
    8 years ago

There are loads of fertilizers on the market, making it somewhat difficult to make a selection. All my reading suggested that citrus needs fertilizer that is high in nitrogen, I.e., the first number in the three part ratio. Ideally, it would be 10-1-1. Based on a recommendation from a local nursery I have been using MiracleGro for Azalea, Camelia, and Rhododendron, which is 30-10-10. It has stimulated lots of new growth on my container-grown Meyer Lemon and Orange trees.