Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timrod98

Nugget vs Mini Nugget

timrod98
12 years ago

I repotted my new Ponkan Mandarin yesterday. I have been using Pine Bark Nuggets with Sphag Peat, Lime and Perlite. It seemed like the Nuggets were a bit large and made moisture metering tough .. so I got 2 bags of "Mini Nuggets". I mixed up a batch, then put some of the regular nuggets in the corner to compare..

What do you think?

{{gwi:589149}}

thanks

htp

Comments (3)

• cebury
    12 years ago

I'm bad at comparison unless I have a good frame of reference. Got a coin or pop can to put into a new picture?

But yeah, those nuggets appear huge and would have limited benefit to create a good 511 mix. They door store & release water just like mini's, but I think the downside is obvious when they are oversized.

Otherwise, yeah the mix looks good except for the excessive woody material in the mini nuggets. I personally wouldn't have used that particular mini-nugget bag with so many "matchstick woody pieces". However, I do know other people have from reviewing the bark packages they used.

If I recall correctly, the risks were 1) faster compaction/breakdown of the entire mix, 2) [possible risk for] excessive high temps in the mix, albeit temporary, while it decomposes, like in a compost bin, and 3) additional tying up of even more Nitrogen (related to #2). Obviously #2 is the big risk, and the only thing I've heard Al say is at 10% or less woody material you are safe. Couldn't give you any estimate on high-end % for risk.

If you only need a relatively small amount, take a look at Repti-bark pieces at your local pet store. There are no woody pieces and the small bags have perfect sized bark. http://dwni.zoomed.com/html/repti_bark.php

Since you already mixed it, maybe create a new post in the Container forum and ask him to look at this one for ya. He's a good enough bloke to do such a thing.

Congrats on your Ponkan. I hope you get tasty fruit from it!

Chris

• jojosplants
    12 years ago

Hi Timrod,
    Cebury is right about it helps to have something in the picture to help judge size. :-) A dime is the most popular to use to see size. But from what I can see the mini are the better size.

The ideal size for the 5-1-1 is 1/4" to dust, some have used 1/2" or 3/8" and done O.K. I'm using a 3/8" screen and really like how it turns out for my veggies.

And true about the sapwood(match sticks), but It's hard to say if what you have there is too much without seeing how much mix is made up. I've made a few mixes that seemed to have alot of sapwood, so I get my son to help me pick it out. ;-)

If your still needing help, containers would be a good place to find it. :-)

JoJo

• timrod98
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Excellent feedback friends. I appreciate your input. I have thought about stopping at our local PetSmart many times but have yet to do it. Maybe I'll remember this week. Most of my containers are 15 to 20 Gallon size so it takes a good bit of mix to fill them.
    I am trying out some Vigaro fertilzer (for Palms). Hi Nitrogen and decent elementals. I'll let you know how it works.
    thanks again for your help.
    htp