Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
persianmd2orchard

Seville sour orange zone 7a protected options?

persianmd2orchard
10 years ago

Hello all,

I love Seville sour orange and am looking for a hardy option to try in zone 7a against a wall. Willing to do minimal protection.

I believe Seville sour orange is used as hardy rootstock in the Middle East for less hardy varieties such as sweet lime and orange. So I think Seville is already relatively hardy--perhaps to zone 8 like a satsuma? Up against a wall, with recent warmer winters, some luck, and a bit of frost blanket or burlap on top if necessary... I'm tempted to just put the Seville orange in ground.

However, if anyone has any options to suggest I'd love to hear about them. I know there are a bunch of hardy citrus... I use the Seville sour orange for salad dressing in place of lemon, for topping on fish, the super fragrant flower probably the best of any citrus (use these in teas).

The trifoliate orange/flying dragon will not do at all--that is a pretty unusable fruit for me. Even though I'm looking for something tart, I want a quality tart fruit. So only requirements are a quality tart but juicy fruit, and fragrant flowers.

Should I just plant a Seville against wall and see what happens?? I don't think I'll like the those cold hardy hybrids to be honest, but I'm not sure many people rag on them would also rag on the Seville sour orange?? But if any of these hardy guys have fragrant flowers, good juice content (Trifoliate is just a hard rock), etc. then I'm all ears. Can't find good info on Seville hardiness--hoping it's similar to Satsuma... which might also be worth a try in protected spot...

Any thoughts?

Comments (6)