Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I want to built a orangery

Posted by Tcamp30144 7b (My Page) on
Fri, May 2, 14 at 23:32

I ordered a small green house I might be mad lol but I want to plant a Satsuma tree in the ground in the middle of it. I have always wanted an orangery so I'm going to try it will take picks when it comes and I set it all up.
Trace

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I want to built a orangery

This is good starter green house I ordered its 6x8 and 8 ft high.
Trace

o

That looks like a lovely greenhouse, I really hope it suits you well, I mean it cause I have this life-long obsession of framing my own greenhouse after I do master planning of course.

I would love to stand in that and be all warm and humid on a chilly morning!

o

Thank u I'm going to see how it goes.
Trace

o

congratulations your stepping up into the big league. Is that glass, If so your greenhouse may last the rest of your life. Good luck with your trees. Any plants you put in over the winter should do better than under lights.

I forgot to mention on the kumquat threat that your kumquat tree look really nice.

Steve

o

Thank u its break proof glass whatever that is we will see thank Steve.
Trace

o

Steve is absolutely correct! you are stepping into the big league! Be prepared to invest some money, the purchase of the actual greenhouse is only the beginning. I will offer you thing bit of advise - in the spring & summer be over prepared for heat buildup. Have large enough fans that move enough air, think about shading and have large vents. On a 70F sunny day it can climb over 100F quickly - depending on how much direct sun exposure. On cloudy days it will not be much above air temperature. Start looking into thermostats that will turn on the fans automatically when the temperature is above 80F ish. Think of 80F as your somewhat optimal temperature - at least in my opinion.
Winter- this is the tuff season. Start your winter planning now. have a heater picked out & tested and setup before you need it. Think about additional insulation like bubble wrap. Its going expensive heating it. In winter you have 2 options do you want your trees to survive? than never below freezing. Do you want your trees to thrive? or do you have other tropicals like bananas? Than never below 45F-50F.

Just know what you are getting yourself into. initially, the first time you go through each season its going to be very challenging but after that first year it gets much easier and you can start to enjoy it more. please keep us updated as you go through the process :)

o

Tracy

It is not that bad unless you have a winter like this past one.

I live in 6b and my unheated prototype greenhouse kept my peppers and tomatoes alive all winter. however my papayas all died, less than 60 F. The main concern for you with citrus is keeping the soil over 55 F but cool enough that the trees do not grow. The temperature in the green house will remain above freezing almost all the time with a few dips below freezing. Putting in many buckets of water will help even out the temperature..The few days I heated I used 7 CFL's at 13 watts each. The plants will be getting only 10 hours of daytime with much less of that sun light.

Steve

o

Bubble wrap was mentinoed....Good suggestion..

Tracy, what's teh coldest it gets there?

Depending on how cold it gets and for how long will determine whether you can afford to heat it or not..

How about summer? How hot does it get?
They do sell auto vent openers, which has been a God send for me...
Also, don't forget to open the small door above or the big door before leaving work if you know it's going to get hot in there..

There is skill required and determination, but you will get the hang of it the way I did..It's the best thing I could of gotten myself for my plants..It's fun, nice and warn all winter in there, love the smell of the humidity, and teh sound of a water feature, well at least that is what I put in mine..lol

For me having one is better than having none at all..You are lucky, because you live much further south than I do when it comes to keeping your plants warm. But keeping them cool, definitely figure that out sooner than later, unless you only plan on keeping them in there during the cold winter months.

Let us know whe you get it will you..The toughest part for me was putting the thing together..Tougher than caring for the plants in there...Oh yeah..It will grow algea on the glass..So make sure you keep the glass clear of it frequently..You might want to invest in a scrub sponge that won't scratch the plastic..

Mike

o

Yep I know all the ups and Downs of green house we have a 20,000 sq ft one at work lol. I'm really looking forward to the challenge Just got sooo tired of my citrus trees getting sick in the winter and having the baby them like crazy. Comes with the automatic vent open are an awesome fan, sure I can find a good heater for it. I plan to do with stone flooring so the heat will radiate in the winter. They said it will ship out tomorrow so as soon as I put together out those pictures. Very excited thank you for all the Positive post very excited about it always wanted to greenhouse. So nothing anyone can say, really scare me away lol.
Trace

o

Mike it gets 90s in the summer has got into high 90s in late August winters usely in the mid 30s about 90% of winter. It has dipped into the teens in Jan Feb for a few weeks. The weather in GA is bipolar most of the time very unpredictable.
Trace

Jan 52°F 30°F 41°F 4.86 in. 80°F (2002) -12°F (1985)
Feb 56°F 33°F 45°F 5.36 in. 80°F (1989) -2°F (1996)
Mar 64°F 39°F 52°F 5.07 in. 89°F (2007) 7°F (1960)
Apr 73°F 46°F 60°F 3.93 in. 93°F (1986) 21°F (1987)
May 80°F 55°F 68°F 4.12 in. 96°F (1996) 32°F (1966)
Jun 87°F 64°F 76°F 4.07 in. 104°F (2012) 40°F (1984)
Jul 90°F 68°F 79°F 5.10 in. 104°F (1980) 50°F (1967)
Aug 89°F 67°F 78°F 4.35 in. 104°F (2007) 48°F (1968)
Sep 83°F 60°F 72°F 4.10 in. 99°F (1970) 30°F (1967)
Oct 73°F 48°F 61°F 3.42 in. 92°F (1971) 22°F (1965)
Nov 64°F 39°F 52°F 4.30 in. 86°F (1968) 9°F (1970)
Dec 54°F 32°F 43°F 4.49 in. 80°F (2007) -4°F (1962)

o

Got Satsuma tree yeasterday green house comes today working to much at work lol. When I get off day will set up and take picks.
Trace

o

Can't wait to see it up and built. You might want to consider some shade cloth in the summer, in case you decide to leave anything inside during the summer months.

Patty S.

o

I will get to put the greenhouse together this Monday Been so busy at work have not had time to put it together.
Trace

o

Trace

The record cold in the months of november thru march will kill almost any cold hardy citrus tree. Good luck with your greenhouse.

Steve

o

I know Steve green house with watar heatered system something like yours I should be ok.
Trace

o

Tcamp, your greenhouse should be soooooo easy to keep warm during the coldest part of the year..

All you need is a ceramic space heater with temp control through the coldest days, which should be a heck of a lot less than I since you live in Zone 7...

Do you plan on resting it on the top of the soil, stones, bricks, or cement?
I dug holes and placed plastic containers that hold water in them. It creates a nice humid environment and the sound of water movement with a pump is so relaxing...

My orchids love it, I can tell you that.

Please let us see it when it;'s done..

o

I will do a stone floor sunny here tomorrow up at 8am to put it togeather. I will keep it 50 or 60 in winter buble wrap and small heater im super excited.
Trace

o

Mike did u get your sumo tree
Trace

o

That is exactly what I do...I will hook you up with the pool supply store where I got my bubble wrap..It makes all the difference in the world...With it, I could never afford to keep my greenhouse warm nor would it stay warm...Great idea!
It's the best thing I could of ever done.
It's called a 'Solar Pool Clear Cover'

Yes, I did get them..I should post a picture soon..Try to get them use to this weather in not easy..They didn't look that good when I got them.I left them in their deep slim pot will repot once this weather warms up, if it ever does.

Stone sounds great...Have fun!

o

Finished it today just a few more touches but got it together , thanks Mike any help will be welcomed.
Trace

This post was edited by Tcamp30144 on Thu, May 22, 14 at 0:47

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here