Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tcamp30144

I want to built a orangery

I ordered a small green house I might be mad lol but I want to plant a Satsuma tree in the ground in the middle of it. I have always wanted an orangery so I'm going to try it will take picks when it comes and I set it all up.
Trace

Comments (44)

• tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is good starter green house I ordered its 6x8 and 8 ft high.
    Trace

• norwoodn
    9 years ago

That looks like a lovely greenhouse, I really hope it suits you well, I mean it cause I have this life-long obsession of framing my own greenhouse after I do master planning of course.

I would love to stand in that and be all warm and humid on a chilly morning!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank u I'm going to see how it goes.
    Trace

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

congratulations your stepping up into the big league. Is that glass, If so your greenhouse may last the rest of your life. Good luck with your trees. Any plants you put in over the winter should do better than under lights.

I forgot to mention on the kumquat threat that your kumquat tree look really nice.

Steve

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank u its break proof glass whatever that is we will see thank Steve.
    Trace

• Ryan
    9 years ago

Steve is absolutely correct! you are stepping into the big league! Be prepared to invest some money, the purchase of the actual greenhouse is only the beginning. I will offer you thing bit of advise - in the spring & summer be over prepared for heat buildup. Have large enough fans that move enough air, think about shading and have large vents. On a 70F sunny day it can climb over 100F quickly - depending on how much direct sun exposure. On cloudy days it will not be much above air temperature. Start looking into thermostats that will turn on the fans automatically when the temperature is above 80F ish. Think of 80F as your somewhat optimal temperature - at least in my opinion.
    Winter- this is the tuff season. Start your winter planning now. have a heater picked out & tested and setup before you need it. Think about additional insulation like bubble wrap. Its going expensive heating it. In winter you have 2 options do you want your trees to survive? than never below freezing. Do you want your trees to thrive? or do you have other tropicals like bananas? Than never below 45F-50F.

Just know what you are getting yourself into. initially, the first time you go through each season its going to be very challenging but after that first year it gets much easier and you can start to enjoy it more. please keep us updated as you go through the process :)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Tracy

It is not that bad unless you have a winter like this past one.

I live in 6b and my unheated prototype greenhouse kept my peppers and tomatoes alive all winter. however my papayas all died, less than 60 F. The main concern for you with citrus is keeping the soil over 55 F but cool enough that the trees do not grow. The temperature in the green house will remain above freezing almost all the time with a few dips below freezing. Putting in many buckets of water will help even out the temperature..The few days I heated I used 7 CFL's at 13 watts each. The plants will be getting only 10 hours of daytime with much less of that sun light.

Steve

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Bubble wrap was mentinoed....Good suggestion..

Tracy, what's teh coldest it gets there?

Depending on how cold it gets and for how long will determine whether you can afford to heat it or not..

How about summer? How hot does it get?
    They do sell auto vent openers, which has been a God send for me...
    Also, don't forget to open the small door above or the big door before leaving work if you know it's going to get hot in there..

There is skill required and determination, but you will get the hang of it the way I did..It's the best thing I could of gotten myself for my plants..It's fun, nice and warn all winter in there, love the smell of the humidity, and teh sound of a water feature, well at least that is what I put in mine..lol

For me having one is better than having none at all..You are lucky, because you live much further south than I do when it comes to keeping your plants warm. But keeping them cool, definitely figure that out sooner than later, unless you only plan on keeping them in there during the cold winter months.

Let us know whe you get it will you..The toughest part for me was putting the thing together..Tougher than caring for the plants in there...Oh yeah..It will grow algea on the glass..So make sure you keep the glass clear of it frequently..You might want to invest in a scrub sponge that won't scratch the plastic..

Mike

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yep I know all the ups and Downs of green house we have a 20,000 sq ft one at work lol. I'm really looking forward to the challenge Just got sooo tired of my citrus trees getting sick in the winter and having the baby them like crazy. Comes with the automatic vent open are an awesome fan, sure I can find a good heater for it. I plan to do with stone flooring so the heat will radiate in the winter. They said it will ship out tomorrow so as soon as I put together out those pictures. Very excited thank you for all the Positive post very excited about it always wanted to greenhouse. So nothing anyone can say, really scare me away lol.
    Trace

Original Author
    9 years ago

Mike it gets 90s in the summer has got into high 90s in late August winters usely in the mid 30s about 90% of winter. It has dipped into the teens in Jan Feb for a few weeks. The weather in GA is bipolar most of the time very unpredictable.
    Trace

Jan 52ðF 30ðF 41ðF 4.86 in. 80ðF (2002) -12ðF (1985)
    Feb 56ðF 33ðF 45ðF 5.36 in. 80ðF (1989) -2ðF (1996)
    Mar 64ðF 39ðF 52ðF 5.07 in. 89ðF (2007) 7ðF (1960)
    Apr 73ðF 46ðF 60ðF 3.93 in. 93ðF (1986) 21ðF (1987)
    May 80ðF 55ðF 68ðF 4.12 in. 96ðF (1996) 32ðF (1966)
    Jun 87ðF 64ðF 76ðF 4.07 in. 104ðF (2012) 40ðF (1984)
    Jul 90ðF 68ðF 79ðF 5.10 in. 104ðF (1980) 50ðF (1967)
    Aug 89ðF 67ðF 78ðF 4.35 in. 104ðF (2007) 48ðF (1968)
    Sep 83ðF 60ðF 72ðF 4.10 in. 99ðF (1970) 30ðF (1967)
    Oct 73ðF 48ðF 61ðF 3.42 in. 92ðF (1971) 22ðF (1965)
    Nov 64ðF 39ðF 52ðF 4.30 in. 86ðF (1968) 9ðF (1970)
    Dec 54ðF 32ðF 43ðF 4.49 in. 80ðF (2007) -4ðF (1962)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Got Satsuma tree yeasterday green house comes today working to much at work lol. When I get off day will set up and take picks.
    Trace

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Can't wait to see it up and built. You might want to consider some shade cloth in the summer, in case you decide to leave anything inside during the summer months.

Patty S.

Original Author
    9 years ago

I will get to put the greenhouse together this Monday Been so busy at work have not had time to put it together.
    Trace

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Trace

The record cold in the months of november thru march will kill almost any cold hardy citrus tree. Good luck with your greenhouse.

Steve

Original Author
    9 years ago

I know Steve green house with watar heatered system something like yours I should be ok.
    Trace

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Tcamp, your greenhouse should be soooooo easy to keep warm during the coldest part of the year..

All you need is a ceramic space heater with temp control through the coldest days, which should be a heck of a lot less than I since you live in Zone 7...

Do you plan on resting it on the top of the soil, stones, bricks, or cement?
    I dug holes and placed plastic containers that hold water in them. It creates a nice humid environment and the sound of water movement with a pump is so relaxing...

My orchids love it, I can tell you that.

Please let us see it when it;'s done..

Original Author
    9 years ago

I will do a stone floor sunny here tomorrow up at 8am to put it togeather. I will keep it 50 or 60 in winter buble wrap and small heater im super excited.
    Trace

Original Author
    9 years ago

Mike did u get your sumo tree
    Trace

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

That is exactly what I do...I will hook you up with the pool supply store where I got my bubble wrap..It makes all the difference in the world...With it, I could never afford to keep my greenhouse warm nor would it stay warm...Great idea!
    It's the best thing I could of ever done.
    It's called a 'Solar Pool Clear Cover'

Yes, I did get them..I should post a picture soon..Try to get them use to this weather in not easy..They didn't look that good when I got them.I left them in their deep slim pot will repot once this weather warms up, if it ever does.

Stone sounds great...Have fun!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Finished it today just a few more touches but got it together , thanks Mike any help will be welcomed.
    Trace

This post was edited by Tcamp30144 on Thu, May 22, 14 at 0:47

Original Author
    9 years ago

About to get cracking on finishing greenhouse and moving trees into. I have about 2 maybe 3 weeks before colder weather comes here. Will start to post pics as i do.
    trace

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Cool... we love pix.

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

I love it Tracy..your trees will thank you for that I tell you. Yes, please, all the pics you can muster up. I love pics..Good job Tracy!

MIke

• amy_in_sc
    9 years ago

Where did you get it? Can you post a link?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Here u go

Here is a link that might be useful: greenhouse

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Tracy, did you ever finish your stone floor?

Original Author
    9 years ago

No I didn't Mike money is tight going to try before next week if not will be mulch for this year lol. Working on it this Wednesday.
    Trace

• Ryan
    9 years ago

You have a lot of work to do, better get moving. cold weather is on the way ;) Last year I started my current greenhouse in August and just got it finished in time.

One recommendation, get a larger heater then you think you will need. when it drops to 5F you will be glad you did.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Trace Go with mulch. It is a lot cheaper and will stabilize humidity and hold water, heat up in the sun and retain more heat through the night than stone. It will also help with over heating for those unexpected hot sunny days.

Steve

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all starting on it today.
    Trace

Original Author
    9 years ago

Mulched it and sealed all cracks today. Now I have to get big heater and 2 small black water barrels and move all plants in. I used black mulch to keep more heat I hope.
    Trace

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    9 years ago

Very cool! Or actually very warm, lol! Leave a space in the middle for a comfy chair to sit and admire your plants and keep warm on a chilly winter day.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks barb I will lol
    Trace

• MileHighGardener
    9 years ago

Im curious, how much was that greenhouse? it looks high quality built and nice.!

Original Author
    9 years ago

It was 800 and free shipping.
    Trace

• MileHighGardener
    9 years ago

Wow thats pretty good i tried looking for it the other day on the link you posted but i couldn't find it? do you have a direct link to the 800$ one? Thanks

Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok I found the link to the one I have They do still carry it. It takes a bit to put it together but is very well made.
    Trace

Here is a link that might be useful: greenhouse

This post was edited by Tcamp30144 on Tue, Oct 21, 14 at 20:18

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

With a greenhouse like that, you can easily grow your own "organic entertainment"... better living through modern agriculture! LOL

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks John I just hope to keep my trees heathy this winter LOL
    Trace

• garret_87
    9 years ago

Trace, Just wanted to say that I have been following this forum thread for a while and I really have enjoyed watching your ambition with citrus. Seeing your greenhouse coming together has been giving me pause for thought. Are you planting your citrus in the ground (inside the greenhouse) or keeping in pots? I really like what you are doing, and please keep it up, and us posted! I would like to build/buy a greenhouse in the future. I love my citrus so dang much! I have a grafted meyer lemon, grafted eureka lemon, meyer lemon cutting and varigated pink lemon cutting.

What citrus will you be bringing into the greenhouse? Will you overwinter all your citrus inside?

Keep us posted,
    Garret

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Garret and others Im glad you all enjoy my learning curb in my citrus adventures lol. They will be all in pots this year will began moving them this week to greenhouse. I have mandarins,Lemons Kumquats,Key limes Avocado Orange trees a Sumo orange tree Meyers. I could be forgetting a few LOL. I have about 25 to 30 tree if you count my seedlings. Big Trees I have about 10 to 15 when I move them to green house I will inventory what I have. Needless to say I have gotten carried away a bit with the trees. I live In an apartment with 2 huge balconies so I have lots of room for them in the summer. The green house is at my moms 35 miles away from me. So will take me a week or so to move all of them.I enjoy Growing the trees if you get it down they don't take a huge amount of time. Ppl here have been very helpful and knowledgeable. It should be easier this winter with greenhouse will go check on them every 2 days.Last year I greenhouse in one of my balconies. That worked ok but not as good as a greenhouse would. Im just glad we all have this place to share and enjoy growing trees together.
    Trace

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Trace

Did your trees out grow your bucket lights. My trees did. The set up was good for about 2 months because the trees grew so much. I had to build my 2 story grow box to get the trees through the nest 3 months. This year I had to greenhouse the trees. My rooted cutting figs will be bucketed over this winter. I am hoping my cuttings will grow 4 - 6 feet by set out time next spring.

The problem with the bucket lights was that the trees grew so fast that the lights were too much work for such a short usable life of 2 months. Below is sweetlee tangerine tree #2 from seed at 9.5 months old late October 2013.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Mid December 2013 Sweet lee out grew its bucket light and was moved into the large grow box that took her through to April.

Steve

Original Author
    9 years ago

I do use them in winter haven't used them tier this year Steve.
    Trace