Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sulleys_mum

New Meyer Lemon Tree

sulleys_mum
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to grow a Meyer from seed for months to no avail, and then stumbled upon some at a local hardware store, so I bought one.

All of the plants were in pretty rough shape and mine is no exception. She appears to be planted in something similar-ish to a 5-1-1 mix, loose with bark and some peat as far as I can tell. She is holding on to some very small (maybe 1/4'') green fruit at the moment. Her top leaves are showing some yellowing along the edge and the bottom ones are very, very curled, dark green and feeling almost crunchy. They don't crumble, but they are a far cry from the supple feel of the leaves on the top half of the tree.

When I got her home, I gave her a good watering in the kitchen sink and the mix she's in seems to drain very well. I also gave her some of the general fertilizer mix I had here on hand (just a general miracle grow, nothing fancy). I have her sitting on top of a plate in a pie tin that has a little bit of standing water in it, but not enough to touch the bottom of the pot and I'm misting her a few times a day to try and build up some humidity. I also put a plastic shopping bag over her at night to try and hold as much humidity as I can over night. She also sits in a south facing window, so she gets as much sun as I think I can give her.

My understanding is the 'crunchy' leaves are a sign of needing water and the yellowing is a sign she's low on food stuffs and needs fertilizer. I've ordered both Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro and Osmocote Plus from Amazon and they should arrive Monday or Tuesday, so I'll have a more appropriate fertilizer for her shortly.

Any other ideas on how to get her to perk back up? anything I'm doing totally wrong or totally missing? I'm a citrus virgin, so I would appreciate any tips and advice anyone had to give.

Comment (1)