Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kippy_the_hippy

Help Me Pick-SoCal

Kippy
9 years ago

My son gave me a gift card to Home Depot with the caveat that I not buy materials or the other "work" things I need but instead by a plant I want.

I do still have a couple of spaces for citrus trees, seems our local Costco is not bringing in plants guessing due to quarantine issues, so I could buy a tree from HD instead.

Today they had:

Dancy Mandarin
Murcott Mandarin
Encore Mandarin

Minneola Tangelo

Lane Late Navel

Lisbon
Ponderosa
Eureka

Nagano Kumquat

Here is what we have:

Lemon-Eureka *
Lemon-Pink Varigated Eureka
Lemon-Meyer Dwarf
Lemon-Meyer Standard
Lemon Monachello
Lemon root stock

Oranges (6x Navel all probably planted by 1900)
Oranges-Blood Moro
Oranges-Blood Tarocco
Orange-Cara Cara

Mandarin-Satsuma? (large, old and heavy bearing)
Mandarin-Clementine
Mandarin-Golden Nugget
Mandarin-Seedless Kishu
Mandarin-Page

Lime-Key
Lime-Bearrs

Australian Fingerlime
Nippon Orangequat (mom loves this one fyi)

*we have a big what I think is Eureka but it is in a bad spot guessing it has a few more years but should be replaced at some point if I want that type of lemon

Any thoughts or suggestions? Nothing is really calling me

Comments (12)

• bulb1776
    9 years ago

I would go with the nugget and the cara. Page is good too but has seeds.

Just make sure you do not get one of those little trees they call semi dwarf at HD. My experience with them has been disappointing. At HD try to get the larger trees on sturdy looking rootstock.

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, the top list is what HD has, the bottom list is what I already have :)

• bulb1776
    9 years ago

Sorry i speed read because i am impatient. Boy that's a lot of citrus trees. What about an anna apple or a red bartlett pear. lol.

I guess from that list late lane and dancy

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have one Anna and mom wants a Barlett, only HD does not have them. I can wait some and see, but it already later than I would want to plant anything and my son would like to see what I picked.

Maybe a trip to a different store will get me a different selection

• bulb1776
    9 years ago

go for the red barlett and get the deangio pear (not the right spelling lol) as the pollinator. see if you can find an organic grower in the outlying areas and take a drive. The big box retailer trees can be good but are inconsistent imo. I don't buy them anymore.

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gift card is to HD only or I would not be having trouble picking trees :)

We have two other pears, but want new new for different locations

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

I would pick Minneola tangelo (yummy) and lane late navel. Navel blossoms have an amazing scent and the fruit are excellent.

Brian

• gregbradley
    9 years ago

I'm in SoCal. The local HD carry trees from LaVerne Nursery. I have found some good ones but they have lots of junk.

My Minneola Tangelo is really excellent, bordering on too sweet late in season. People that are in cooler climates say they aren't sweet enough. I understand they take time to produce good fruit, like most Pomello or GF hybrids. Mine is 30-40 years old and it gets pretty hot here.

I got a couple nice Cocktail Grapefruit from HD. They are fabulous even when young. Completely different than anything else.

I have two mature Washington Navels and they produce LOTS of fruit. Even trimmed back to 15'x15', they are producing 300+ pounds each per year.

I've considered an Encore since it seem very, very late or holding on tree in Summer. They do have seeds.

Can't see a W. Murcott, when the seedless version is available - Tango.

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

I don't see a juice orange on your list. I just ordered a Midknight Valencia from Four Winds for my son in Sacramento; it is supposed to be the best juice orange in the world today.

• gregbradley
    9 years ago

You can order Midknight Valencia thru Home Depot via PlantsExpress.com if that is the way you want to go.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Kippy, does HD not have an Oroblanco? I don't see a grapefruit on your list. It is very sweet and quite good. If not, I'd go with a Minneola. You can juice any orange, just refrain from refrigerating navel orange juice as it can become bitter. I juice my navels all the time, I just juice enough to drink :-)

Patty S.

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Patty. I forgot to list the grapefruit they had, something Red, we have two grapefruit already likely oroblanco I might see if I have to drive up north beyond SLO and see what they have there

Thanks for the reminder on navels and juicing

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz