Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
venom21

meyer lemon and dynamite

Venom21
9 years ago

hey all,

my meyer is not doing so hot now. looks like its strugging and there arent many leaves on it. right now it is in 511 mix. havent done anything as far as fertilizing goes so far, which might be the problem. ive read good things about dynamite. does anyone use this? and if is what is the npk ratio of the one you use, as there are several of them. i saw one that is for palm and citrus but the npk is 13-5-11 and from what ive understoon 5-1-3 is what you want to shoot for.

im in NJ and the weather has been pretty nice and warm.

any recommendations what i should do are welcome. ill also snap a pic tomorrow and post it.

Comments (9)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

You want something with a ratio close to 5-1-3, but it doesn't have to be exactly 5-1-3. That ratio is close enough. And, you want the fertilizer to also have all the micros as well. Most container folks use a combination of a time-release granular fertilizer as well as a liquid fertilizer such as DynaGro's Foliage Pro with every watering. Photos of course are helpful for us to further recommend things to assist your tree. It's hard to guess what might be going on without seeing your tree. Make sure you don't have anything of a pest nature going on as well - scale or spider mites.

Patty S.

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Fertilizing is VERY important especially in the 5.1.1 and gritty mixes...

I actually am very liberal with it using Dyna-gro or Foliage-Pro almost every time I water in these growing months..

If you don't, you will have weak spindly plants suseptable to pests that will just stgagnate..They will barely grow at all and looses root mass eventually leading to death..

So, fertilize, feritilize, fertilize....That's the gift os using these porous mixes...

By the way, I also like to use a slow release just incase I get a bit lazy about it.....I use the MG tomato plus calcium and so far sooooooooooooooo good!

MIke

• Venom21
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here it is.

• Venom21
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another

• Venom21
    Original Author
    9 years ago

any one last one

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Pics prove that your trees severly needs a lot more fertilizer along with lots of sunlight...

MIke

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 18:17

• Venom21
    Original Author
    9 years ago

it gets sun for almost the entire day. its 5 oclock and still getting sun.

should i use any vinegar in the water as well? i potted it in the plastic pot last season. dont know what the pH will be at this point.

i defintely want to put in some crf fert. ive heard dynamite is good.

ALL PURPOSE 18-6-8
    ALL PURPOSE SELECT 15-5-9
    FLOWERS & VEGETABLES 13-13-13
    PALM & CITRUS 13-5-11
    ORGANIC ALL PURPOSE 10-2-8

which would you suggest.. thanks for the help btw

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

If you are lax about watering with a good soluable every time you water, well at least most times, I would use slow release..I do many times..

Use the all purpose 18-6-18, 15-5-9 or the 13-5-11 if its water soluable..
    Vinegar won't hurt even if your water is already acidic, but would be wasteless if your water is already good..I would definately call your water source and ask them the pH of it.
    Or test it with pH strips..You might be surprised at how high the pH may be or how good it is depending on your area.
    Not everyone needs to use vinegar.Many of my friends here do well without it while others depend on it as I do.

The key is to fertilize frequently...

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 18:41

• Lars
    9 years ago

Why is it in such a small pot? I have mine in a wine barrel planter, but then I never move it and use a planter so that I can put it on a concrete patio. Plus I have very bad soil (I have orange trees in the ground that are doing nothing). Once a year, I take it out of the planter and add soil to the bottom, and I use slow release fertilizer.

Lars

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH