Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which citrus cultivar do YOU want??

Posted by norwoodn none (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 0:53

Let's say you want a new citrus tree, but what to choose?! There are so many great varieties to have. But everyone has their own circumstances, so feel free to post which cultivars are on your wish list and why.
Ex, I want a ponderosa lemon for the huge, fragrant peels.
Also im not sure what grapefruit variety, there are some good ones and im looking for a vigorous grower.

So, ladies and gentlemen which would you choose?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which citrus cultivar do YOU want??

My only interest is meiwa kumquat. It produces small fruit that can be mess free pop-in-the -mouth. They go for $7 /pound if you can find them. They are small-ish trees that pot well. They provide fresh fruit while my other fruit trees are dormant. They are very attractive and good to have indoors as an air freshener. While I like citrus, I am not going to spend the time and money growing something I can get at a fruit store for $1 / pound. There are too many other fruits I can grow that are much easier.

To those who grow citrus up north I'll wish best of luck. Citrus is mot at all easy to grow.

Steve

o

I want the pink-hued Australian finger lime as well as the Shiranui.

o

I would like to purchase the following, mainly because I've read so many good reviews from growers on this forum these varities.

Ponkan
Xie Shan Satsuma
Clemenules
Ponkan/Shiranui

However, I can't find nuseries or a BBS on the island of Oahu or any of the other Hawaiian islands that carry those varities. The problem I have is that the state of Hawaii only allow live plant shipped into the state via bareroot (ie, no soil or mix allowed).

As far as I know, Four Winds Growers is the only online citrus tree vendor located on the Mainland that ship citrus trees to Hawaii. I've purchased numerous varities from them, but they don't carry those varities.

Would appreciate any information if anyone knows of any other citrus tree vendors that can/would ship their plants to Hawaii.

Mahalo, Barry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here