Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djkleen

Minneola Tangelo Tree Questions.

djkleen
10 years ago

Hello everyone.

I found this site via Google and I noticed it has tons of very informative users so I had some questions about the Minneola Tangelo tree and figured I would ask and see what people thought.

First of all, currently I don't have any citrus trees growing. I only have 1 newly planted apple tree. I buy Minneola Tangelos from the grocery store all the time and can only get them during the growing season so I figured I would try my luck at growing a Minneola tree.

I was wondering after I purchase one can I transplant the tree into a nice sized pot and keep it there? or does it need to be transplanted directly into my garden?

I also was wondering if Minneola trees were self pollinating or do I need another citrus tree to pollinate the Minneola? If so what kind of citrus tree would I need?mind you i'm from California(I don't know what kinds of citrus we can and cannot have)

I appreciate any advice given and I appreciate the time taken to help me out. I would really like to grow my own citrus because i'm pretty tired of spending an arm and a leg just to feed my citrus habit!! :P

Comments (10)

• susanne42
    10 years ago

i just bought a minneola tangelo and it will spend its life in a container because it gets too cold in winter.
    when i asked about self pollinating i got mixed answers. some say it needs another citrus, preferable from the grapefruit family and others claim this tree is self pollinating.
    but being in california, you should not have any problems getting fruits on your tree with so many other citrus growing there??

• djkleen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So maybe I can just buy one and see what happens? if anything I can purchase another citrus later if the tangelo tree doesn't end up producing very well?

• djkleen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So maybe I can just buy one and see what happens? if anything I can purchase another citrus later if the tangelo tree doesn't end up producing very well?

• susanne42
    10 years ago

that is what i did. well, but some others too but not because of pollination

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

The Minneola is one of the few citrus that is not self-pollinating; i.e., it needs another variety to cross- pollinate for maximum production.

• Soulfire
    10 years ago

I have a Tangelo. I had exactly 1 fruit last year and I did not have a single other tree. IMO it is capable ot pollinating itself (I helped a bit with a q-tip), but probably does a lot better with another tree(s).

• djkleen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay so I purchased my Minneola Tangelo tree at Lowes a month back and on the little flyer that comes attached to the tree says that the tree doesn't need a pollinator.... WTF? I'm seeing so much mixed advice. And on the tag it say's if I want I can pollinate with another Minneola tree. Is this correct? I can pollinate a Minneola with another Minneola?

• gregbradley
    10 years ago

UCR states that it produces more when cross pollinated. Mine is 20' and in my backyard with other citrus. I would say it produced 300 pounds last season, about the same amount as the Washington Navel that is next to it.

My tree has fabulous sweet tasting fruit but I've heard some say Minneolas are tart tasting. I have heard it takes warm summers and cool winter nights to get the best tasting fruit. Modesto should have that just like Upland.

Why don't you get another citrus? The correct number to have always seems to be "One more".

• djkleen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, Thank you Greg. I've been wanting two trees so I think i'll just go ahead and get 1 more, Should I get another Tangelo or should I get a different "breed" of citrus tree? I'm asking because i'm very VERY new to fruit trees and i'm not to sure if "cross pollinated" means to be pollinated from a whole different breed or if the same breed is okay? I really love Tangelos so I definetely wouldn't mind having two of them if they can pollinate each other. I really appreciate everyones advice and help!!!

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Most mandarin-types are suitable pollinators, with the exception of Satsumas and MinneolaâÂÂs siblings, Orlando and Seminole per UC Riverside Citrus Variety Collection's info on the Minneola. So, pick a nice mandarin, like Clemenules, Gold Nugget, Tango, Page, Seedless Kishu and you're set :-)

Patty S.