Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Worm castings

Posted by sandiegodude SoCal (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 2, 11 at 5:06

Hey all--I bought a big bag of worm castings at the farmer's market for my garden, and I have a bunch left over.

Do citrus trees benefit from worm castings? I have a young lemon tree, a young orange tree and a young avocado tree, and they seem to be doing OK. I just wondered how much they would benefit if I spread some worm castings around their drip zone.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Worm castings

I dont grow in the ground but I dont see where this would hurt the trees. someone smart will chime in soon.

o

Absolutely, Sandiegodude. I put down worm casting under all my fruit trees, citrus, avos, stone fruit. Also under my roses. I topped that with composted mulch. It really helps to restore micronutrients into the soil, keep the harmful microbes down and keep the soil moist. I do this at least once a year, and if I'm not too lazy, twice a year. We have a couple of worm farms here in SD county, and they do a very nice job of producing castings. I get mine a the Vista Farmer's Market :-) Just make sure you keep about a 2 to 3" clear diameter around your trunk mulch-free to prevent the bark from staying moist and rotting. For us in S. Calif., mulching can improve our soils, reduce the pH a bit, and help retain moisture. Now, in other areas of the country, mulching citrus may NOT be a good idea, as it may cause to much moisture to be retained and lead to root rot, but for us in S. California, it appears to be beneficial.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas A&M: Compost Effects in 'Rio Red' Grapefruit Production on a Heavy Textured Soil

o

Worm casting would always be of benefit to the soil, and subsequently to any kind of plant planted in the soil. The only time I would not suggest that you use them (in large amounts) is in container gardening, where they might 'clog' up the porous potting mix texture that is so essential to healthy container grown plants.

o

Thanks guys!

@Patty -- I got this bag at the Vista Farmer's Market too. It's been sitting in my garage for a month and then it just dawned on me, I bet my fruit trees would love it!

I have a very clay soil so any opportunity to give it more nutrients I'm up for.

I'll do that this weekend. Thanks everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here