Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asrar_gw

Meyer : Is it looking fine ? suggestions

Asrar
9 years ago

Hej,
I just brought my lemon tree out in my balcony on eastern side, Before it was "inside house sunny eastern window" and was placed very close to glass of window, almost touching it. Temperature suddenly changed from inside to out from avg. 24 to 14 celsius and in my house it is bit dry not so much humidty. burning marks appearing and growing on the tip of leaves since i brought it home from shop and they were not there before. Any precautions or suggestions to me, before i look for suggestion on very sad plant.
Yesterday i gave first time fertilizer vitagro 4-1-3 since i bought it, which is after 3 weeks. And two weeks ago i changed and increased the size of pot with citrus soil. But first time i gave yesterday whole 1 liter of fertilized water and let the water drain from pot holes. which gathered in the bottom of pot tray and i threw it, i did right! right ? I put few stones in tray on these stones i placed lemon tree pot, so water drain really well, i did right ? Well, please commend about this plant. I am thankful to you.

Comments (7)

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Where do you live, what Zone?

Yoiur planyt looks perfectly fine to me and in fact healthy for now..

You said only East sun? Anything more than that if you are getting into summer can burn it ..Well direct sun on the hours between 11 and 2...

Providing good drainage is always a great thing..Good job.
    As what your tree is planted in? I'm not sure how it will work for you in the coming cooler months if you get them.
    But you will have issues with salt toxitity if you keep fertilizing and not flush your mix out..

That means watering with just plain ole water and letting it drain out from the bottom for at least a minute once a month or so.

Go easy on your fertilizer too..I would use a 1/4 strentgh at recommended dosages more often...

Pinching the fruit off that tree at that size is a personal choice..Some would to encourage more tree growth ,while others would not to enjoy the fruit even at that tree size.

I love that tree..I see great potential.

MIke

• Asrar
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi,Thanks for encouraging reply. You are the only one who is responding me on this forum mostly. Thanks for that. Well, I am living in Stockholm.
    Hardiness Zone Map for Scandinavia & Baltics (zone 4).

And sun rises here around 3:30 am sun shines on eastern side till 11 am i guess. But here sun light is very sharp in summer and i think leaves got burn when they were inside the house & 28+ Celsius temp & direct sunlight & plant was really close to window & low humidity.
    But now it is out with temperature approx. day 20 celsius & night 10 celc. & giving good amount of water+fertilizer & placed in east side balcony. In winter I am thinking to put it inside close to south side my small window and use grow light (recommend me one) & will use humidifier.
    Is it good to use grow light and humidifier in winter inside house?
    Plz comment on my description i gave and on pic from my plant also... thanks again.

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Asrar...I have never been to that part of the world..Sounds very nice..

The leaf looks so nice..Does that white stuff come off easy if you rub it? Probably water deposit or fertilizer deposit from before..Looks nice.

Humidifier never hurst a thing and in fact benefits mots living things in winter..
    A grow light would also be nice if you plan on keeping your plants warm and active..But it must be a light that is gets the job done and placed close to your tree..
    I stopped using them years a go so I am not sure of what to recommend...I think there is still a few here that have great results with them..Maybe they will chime in.

Sounds like you have a good plan set up..Yes, watch out for burn and introduce your tree slowly to sunlight levels stronger than the morning or late afternoon..

Basically, think of your trees leaves like that of your skin covered by clothes all winter...At what point do you get sunburn in your area? Think of your tree getting burned at those times until you it gets use to the sunlight little by little. The worst that could happen is that your leaves could burn, but they will either look ugly or just fall off to be replaced by ones that are use to the sun.

MIke:-)

• Asrar
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think in summer when it is full sunny day and temperature is around 28 then standing in direct sunlight without any sun protection cream etc, one can burn his skin in 40 or 50 min. It happened with me when i was fishing few years ago.
    Well, i m sending leave pic again after rubbing it.
    temp is around 50 Fahrenheit in the nights :( and leaves tips are bit yellow now...

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

The meiwa kumquat tree to the left fits into the light bucket. The buckets can be 5 gallon buckets or big trash cans. I am using a 13 watt CFL in a ceramic fixture. The buckets are aluminum foiled.

Steve

• Asrar
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks poncirusguy. That's really inspiring but would love to have my plant in living room and light on it. Just like a ordinary lamp style but of course with grow light. So, 13 w CFL will be good enough to just realize a plant the presence of light using living room ordinary lamp or i have to follow your method. Or your method is a special treatment under normal days or in vinter ?

• eSilviu
    9 years ago

If the tree bends towards the light source in your room, it obviously likes your bulb. If it bends to the window, the light bulb is useless.
    I had a 30W white LED bulb (equivalent visible light of 150W incandescent) and a 60W incandescent, placed at the same distance from a citrus seedling. The leaves have bended straight to the incandescent bulb, probably because of higher amount of IR (heat).