Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Citrus tree identification

Posted by havasolv none (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 5:35

So I´ve planted som citrus seeds over the previous years, and some of the trees have died and some have thrived beautifully. The thing is, I don´t know what species some of them are and this one in the picture especially. I would like to plant some more trees, but of different varieties so as to, hopefully, get different fruits from them some years from now. Can anyone help me identify this one? If the picture of the leaves is not enough information to go on to identify the variety, then please let me know, and I will try to get it for you. I think what I have planted during the years are: orange, lemon, grapefruit, blood orange, lime and some kind of mandarin or clementine.

Any help is much appreciated :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Citrus tree identification

• Posted by citrange South UK, z%3D8a%3F (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 8:54

I have grown a large number of unusual citrus varieties but don't recall ever seeing wavy margins like these. In fact at first I thought these are not citrus at all, but looking at the petiole end, and imagining the leaf flattened out, I've changed my mind. Perhaps the wavy edges are the result of some unusual growing conditions or your fertliser program.
From the petiole size and the leaf shape, I'd guess they are a mandarin or clementine, or hybrid of them. How old and tall is the plant? It will be interesting to hear eventually what the fruit is like!
The citrus ID tool link given can be useful, but you need to look at particular named cultivars.

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus id tools

o

I know you don't have many leaves; but if you can crush one of the older leaves and smell it; it will greatly narrow the possibilities. Orange smells sweet; mandarins as well; lemons are definitely lemon/lime; and grapefruit/pomelo smell like themselves.
It is also possible; because you planted a seed, that you could have an entirely new variety.

o

This picture and link made it's way to the Citrus Grower's forum at http://citrus.forumup.org/viewtopic.php?p=65220#65220, and one of the members identified it as a Russel river lime. C. inodorata.

o

• Posted by citrange South UK, z%3D8a%3F (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 17:25

It does look a bit like C.inodora, but my seedlings don't have the crinkly edges. The proof of this variety is whether there are dual spines at each leaf node - it is the only citrus species to have this twin thorn characteristic.
The Russel River Lime is so unusual that you would surely remember receiving seeds - they would only have originated in Australia or in one of the major citrus collections like the one at Riverside, California. You certainly wouldn't have found this variety at a local fruit shop!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here