Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My citrus curse has lifted!

Posted by andrew78 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 7:31

So just about every winter I end up loosing one of my citrus trees, and without fail, it usually ends up being one of my favorite citrus trees! This year has been a different story though! In my opinion, my biggest victory is that not only did both of my meyer lemon trees survive, but the largest tree held on to all of the fruits that it produced last fall! All the fruits now are all ready growing pretty fast. By the end of July, I will have at least 5 or 6 ripe lemons to enjoy. The smaller tree is very small. I would say maybe 7in. tall. I bought it as a rooted cutting last year for $3 or $4 dollars. Thanks to Meyer Mike, I have become hooked on this particular variety of lemon! My large tree has all ready started putting on a TON of growth, along with flower buds. The sweet scented blooms, and the yummy fruits are what make the meyer #1 in my book. These lemons are the only lemons I can eat without having issues with acid reflux.

My 'Oro Blanco' grapefruit is also going thru a big growth spurt. This morning I noticed it's first flower buds are actually opening! This is also a top fav of mine . Last year I didn't get any grapefruits but I am hopeful that I will get a couple this year.

I will try to get some pics posted of these trees so you all can see how nice they look.

It's so nice to be back here on this forum. I have missed so many of you! Mike, Josh, Patty.... Well I hope you all are having a great year for your citrus!

Take care everyone!
Andrew

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My citrus curse has lifted!

that sounds wonderful. congratulations.
what did you do different this winter?

o

Honestly, I really don't think I really did anything different. I did buy a 600 watt HPS light a few years ago and since then, my citrus have really done 10x's better over the winter.

I had starting reporting my observations the first winter I got my light. Priper lighting and soil structure are critical for citrus to grow and thrive. The 600 watt HPS light also has the added benefit of throwing off a lot of heat which in turn helps to dry out the root ball after watering. My Ruby Red, and both Meyer lemon trees are in a heavier soil mix than what any potted citrus grower would recommend using but the light will raise the temps in the room to well over 90 degrees even in the winter!

It really is worth the initial expense to get one of these light set ups. I had a few people tell me that I should have gone with hallides because they produce light that encourages more vegatative growth and the HPS produces light that encourages more flowering and fruit production, but I am very happy with the results I am seeing.

o

Congrats! I only wish I was as successful with my meyer! It dropped all of its leaves and is putting on a ton of new growth now. So I probably won't get flowers for a little bit. Not really sure why it dropped all of its leaves. It looked good practically all winter and one month before I was going to start moving it outside it dropped leaves constantly until it was bald! Lol

Kristopher

o

Good to hear you've figured out what you need to do in order to have happy citrus throughout the winter. I also have a 600W HPS lamp, but stopped using it around 4 years ago. I never could find the proper balance of conditions to make it worthwhile for me.

o

Its amazing how a little added light in the winter months can make a huge difference. They did for me to.

good to hear of success in citrus

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here