Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swimmingfree

hello all

swimmingfree
10 years ago

i live in Michigan a fue year back a stuck a fue seeds in a pot and thay grow .. its been 5 years now and i have 2 nice plants i kept in pots ... i have done a lot of pruning (roots as well as topping the tree) to keep then small ... last year a friend went south and got me a small Meyer Lemon tree all of 6 inches but i love it now its full of flowers and i no the little tree can not hold all the fruit so most will have to go..
been looking on the internet for info on grafting because i have the 2 tree that i started from seeds i wood like to try grafting other kinds of Citrus to ...

im new to this form and have not fond all it has to offer me ... wood like to no if i can buy new plants here or get some cutting to graft on to my trees .... i think this is not the best time of year to do this but its worth a shot....
thank you for reading this and inny info you may give me...
swimmingfree

Comments (16)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

No, you cannot buy new plants on this forum. In fact, GardenWeb has a policy that you cannot advertise your business on the forum.

If you have an Improved Meyer lemon seedling, no need to graft it to rootstock, Meyers do well on their own roots, especially in containers. And, we do not encourage trading citrus materials on the forum due to all the very serious restrictions and quarantines in place with citrus due to some very serious diseases with citrus that are threatening our USA commercial citrus industry. What I would recommend, if you're interested in grafting, is to order clean and certified budwood from UC Riverside's CCPP program (Citrus Clonal Protection Program).

You can grow your rootstock from seeds if you prefer, or purchase rootstock seedlings from a number of sources (mine are all in California, so don't know if those companies are able to ship outside of the state of California). Here are some links to help you out:

CCPP: http://ccpp.ucr.edu/

Citrus Growers Forum (has step by step instructions on grafting citrus): http://citrus.forumup.org/index.php?mforum=citrus

Save Our Citrus: http://www.saveourcitrus.org/

Also, if we could ask you to spell correctly, use correct punctuation and capitalization, if really helps to be able to read and understand your posts. If not, likely folks will simply skip your post and not bother to respond.

Patty S.

• swimmingfree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sorry about the bad spelling im dyslexia and have a hard time posting ... i do try my best and use spell check thank you for reading my post and the grate info ...
    swimmingfree

10 years ago

Swimmingfree, I, too, am dyslexic. Pretty severely so, in fact. NO excuse. In fact, it is exactly why I had so much difficulty in reading your post. You must be young :-) Stop focusing on dyslexia as a problem, and use it to your advantage. I bet you're very creative and artistic, most dyslexics are. Work on it. I can do it, you can do it! I'm an RN, and in fact, typing on a computer keyboard is used in therapy to assist those with dyslexia improve their reading and writing skills. Your fingers (and then your brain) will "learn" what is correct, and train your eye to believe what your fingers are doing. In fact, the way I know I've made a misspelling or used incorrect punctuation is by feeling the mistake with my fingers. I then have to look very carefully to find the error, but my fingers are never wrong! So, I'm tasking you with doing it right on this forum, you will benefit for this, trust me. After working on my dyslexia for over 50 years, I know this will help you out. Spell check is always helpful, but it is no replacement for overcoming your issues with dyslexia. Sorry for the off topic post folks, but as a nurse, and as a very severely affected dyslexic (I could not tell time until I was in the 4th grade, could not "understand" how the arms of a clock went around), swimmingfree needs some encouragement.

And, good luck with your citrus, keep us posted.

Patty S.

• swimmingfree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i,m in my 50 but have not work on reading or spelling in fact i just got a used computer 2 year ago and internet.. It is a world of info out here and some time i need some help or info on thing... my reading is getting better as will as my spelling but im still not grate...
    swimmingfree

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Have you heard about the insomniac, dyslexic, agnostic?
    He lies awake all night, wondering if there is a dog!

Most of the men in my family are ambidexterous, and that usually means dyslexic. We send all the children early on to special schools to overcome it; but even at my advanced age of 68, I cannot look at an exit sign without seeing "Tixe"

10 years ago

swimmingfree, we'll all support you. The computer will become your best friend! In order to survive as a nurse, I had to overcome my dyslexia, or I was going to kill someone :-) Could not afford to get my doses mixed up, or get a decimal point off. Amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it. And John, yes, there is a higher incidence of dyslexia with left handed people (and those who are ambidextrous have stronger left tendencies) than in right handed people. I had trouble with small words when I was young. Could not tell the difference between "was" and "saw", so I would just read the sentence to see what made sense in the context of the sentence. I was always terrified that I'd say it wrong when reading out loud in class. Remember when we each had to read a sentence in our primers? I'd count out what sentence was mine, check it out to see if was/saw was in the sentence, then figure out in context, which was right. Those were some grueling years, let me tell you. I had special classes in 3rd and 4th grade, with a new, novel approach to correcting my learning disability (no one called it dyslexia back then I don't think). I got to jump on a rebouncer, and then with the teacher's pointer, point to each word on a big flip chart, and learn to read from left to right, top to bottom. It was fun, and my two grad students doing my therapy was young and fun. I went from barely being able to read, to excelling in school, they made all the difference for me :-) swimmingfree, I'm sorry you are still struggling. Should not be the case at 50. I'm a little older than you, and have overcome my issues. I hope the same for you!

Patty S.

• swimmingfree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

old joke lol
    Been doing some reading did not think getting some cutting was a big deal but it is .. ill have to look around Michigan to see if i can find some Citrus tree (plants) to buy...

The trees i stater form seeds will it take about 10 years to bear fruit ??? Is there a way to get then to do so sooner ???
    thank for your time
    swimmingfree

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

swimmingfree, Patty S.

I too am dyslexic, not in spelling reversals but in putting definition to what I see and how to properly word things so they are understandable and not rude. One missed place or omitted word can change the entire meaning of a sentence. While I would not wish this on anyone else, I still glad i'm not alone. I have also found this citrus forum far more useful in therapy than in solving citrus problems, I can assure you that my trees would be DEAD without this forum and I thank every one else for their help. Make good use of the computer. Pay close attention to how you spelled the word then see the correction.

Because this is a citrus forum, I will need to post a picture of my seed grown meiwa kumquat tree to remain in compliance..

{{gwi:1909}}
    MEIWA KUMQUAT TREE GROWN FROM SEED
    Steve

• swimmingfree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

there is a lot more of us out here then people think lol
    swimmingfree

• swimmingfree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

can you tell what kind of tree you have by the leaves ... heres my trees i think there lemon but might be grapefruit...
    swimmingfree

[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img822/5007/picture26676.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img837/4318/picture26675.jpg[/IMG]

heres my lemon

[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img547/1521/picture26677.jpg[/IMG]

thank for your time...
    swimmingfree

• swimmingfree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ok how do you post photo ???
    or you cood post then for me ...my email is
    swimming.free@gmail.com

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

here are your images
    Click link for pic 1

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:590057}}

• swimmingfree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

whats fertilizer to use on my potted trees ??? i live in michigon so we dont fertilizer for just Citrus trees ...

http://imageshack.us/a/img822/5007/picture26676.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img837/4318/picture26675.jpg

heres my lemon

http://imageshack.us/a/img547/1521/picture26677.jpg

thank for your time...
    swimmingfree

10 years ago

Most folks here use DynaGro's Foliage Pro liquid fertilizer on the container citrus, swimmingfree. They will use 1/2 strength with every watering during the winter months, then full strength with every watering during spring, summer, and early fall. It has the correct NPK ratio plus the full complement of micronutrients. Easy to find online.

Patty S.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

swimmingfree

Your photo hosting sight will have easy to use pathways to load photos to gardenweb forums
    {{gwi:590062}}
    {{gwi:590065}}
    {{gwi:590067}}

I use photobucket . It is too hard for me to explain how to load pics, but once you learn its easy.

Click bellow link for slideshow

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/wreristhechimney/slideshow/swimmingfree

• swimmingfree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank for the help will look up the DynaGro's Foliage Pro liquid fertilizer and do some more reading DYNA-GROâ¢
    Liquid Foliage-Proî 9-3-6 ..
    swimmingfree

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional