Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting a seed...

Posted by Soulfire NJ, 7A (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 10:29

How do you guys plant the seeds and under what conditions, how do you prepare the seeds, etc.

I planted Tangerine seeds about a month ago, but gotten nothing so far. Just curious.

Oh... and yes I am aware that it will take years to fruit. I have other trees for fruit, I just thought it would be fun to try this once.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting a seed...

If you plant the seeds about an inch deep; keep them moist and warm, they should sprout in about 3-4 weeks. Nothing special about germinating citrus seeds; some people take off the seed coat before planting; but I have not found that makes much difference. Most important is the seeds have to be fresh; older seeds or seeds that have become too dry do not germinate so well.

o

click below to see profile of a seed grown meiwa kumquat over a 5 month period

Here is a link that might be useful: https://plus.google.com/photos/111099372377958308731/albums/profile?banner=pwa

o

No secrets really. I use a well draining soil kept just moist. Bottom heat is very helpful, or just outside in a hot summer area. (Only fresh seed, anything else is worthless!)That, and just patience. They really do pick up a lot in growth once past the germination. Most of my citrus are not from seed but have terrific luck with Seville/Sour oranges and Pomelo.

o

I obtained some Flying Dragon rootstock seeds, and put them in Root Riot cubes. I had a very good germination rate, and there are multiple roots on all. I wouldn't recommend the cubes because although they are hydroponic and very friendly to seedlings, Flying Dragon seeds are known to have more than one embryo, and separating them is tough in the cubes!

I learned to take a sharp knife and gently wiggle it between the two trunks. Eventually, I can rip the cube and put an unused half next to it, so there are now two cubes and two seedlings in their own separate cubes. They don't seem to notice, and grow just fine that way. For a while their roots just go straight down. I try to separate prior to all those side shoots.

I stuck mine point up, about 1/2 inch down. There are probably only about 6 true dwarfs in the batch, so I'll get more seeds in September and try it again. Those that rooted did so over a 2 month period. I wanted the dwarf root stock to use for budding varieties I desire, but don't want standard size.

Suzi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here