Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnorange_gw

Crowded Fruit Trees

johnorange
9 years ago

Quite a few years back, I planed some Ponderosas along my back fence and more recently planted a fig. At the time, I didn't realize how well they would do so now I have some crowding and it's only going to get worse. In another thread Patty recommended moving the fig. I'll probably do that this winter. The lemons will still be crowded but I like the visual barrier and I have some single trees planted in other parts of my yard.

Of all the problems we might have, isn't overcrowding by trees that grew bigger than we thought a great problem! :>)

Comments (7)

• johnorange
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A "rabbit's eye" view from another angle.

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    9 years ago

Wow! Nice and happy trees!

You are on your way to a lovely lemon hedge. That's a legit way to grow citrus anyway, especially since they're all one variety. Better than a hedge of photinias, lol!

• johnorange
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Barb. Landscaping with trees that give back just seems to make the most sense :>) I'm just thankful the lemons have their leaves back. This past winter was pretty hard on them. A neighbor lost lots of mature satsumas. I think mine are going to have their best production year yet.

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Here's what I told another poster.
    My wife wanted me to plant a live screen fence to hide her solar dryer (clothes line); so I planted 3 Meyers and hedged them; the mission is accomplished and the "fence" produces a lot of Meyer lemons. But Meyers are especially well adapted to hedging; I now have 21,000 trees in the field planted in solid hedgerows.

• bulb1776
    9 years ago

They are a little close together but that is the new trend in commercial citrus. I would just prune especially the middle ones to go straight up and enjoy the growth.

• gnappi
    9 years ago

When I first started planting my yard, I wad told that I'd sacrifice quantity of fruits if they're too close.

Well when I moved in there was a mango and avocado within three feet of one another, the avo is real large, and the mango just 10' and I got plenty of fruit on that little mango so I decided to go against conventional wisdom and keep the rest of the yard planting close... around 8 feet of separation or less between trees or bushes.
    But rather than planting one type of tree I did the opposite, several varieties. I have in a 26x80 yard, coffee(12) sugar apple, atemoya, peach, sapodilla (2), grumichama cherry (4), lychee (2), Papaya (2), Grape vines (6), fig, canistel, jackfruit, starfruit, pineapple(5), avocado, mango, banana(2), guava (3) cukes and even a lime and orange in pots!!

Many are smaller cultivars and I placed them so they all get sun.

All that are of age are producing fruits and some are getting mature enough to fruit next year.

Now maybe, just maybe I'm losing some quantity but the yard is developing a woods like atmosphere and I get variety in spades!

This post was edited by gnappi on Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 21:39

• johnorange
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Johnmerr, WOW! I always wondered how many trees you had in your orchard. I was just reading in another thread where you were "gushing" about the wonders of the meyer...maybe I'll add one to my collection. We had a potted one in the office for a while and all it did was set one bloom flush after another. The pot was really too small for it to support many lemons but it sure tried!

Gnappi, I'm soooo jealous of your climate and soil! It get's too cold here for most tropical fruit but it's really all relative. I am amazed at what folks in northern states are growing by moving pots in and out of the house. My soil is poorly drained clay and the land is so flat around here there is very little downhill relief for creating drainage with french drains. The high places in my yard tend to bake in the sun and plants take forever trying to push roots into the rock-hard clay. The lower places tend to be wet and sticky for extended periods after rains. I have done a little leveling recently with six dump truck loads of dirt and I'm revising my planting methods by planting on a partial mound of dirt/sand brought in from other locations. Unfortunately, most of my trees are planted too deep. I transplanted a kumquat last year and it's finally quit dying back and is blooming now in a new, mounded up, location.