Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantasdevida

ID please?

plantasdevida
10 years ago

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot...

A while ago I had taken seeds out of some lemons that I had hoped to be able to grow. I planted them, and four weeks later, which I thought was too late for them to germinate, these little guys came out. Are they the start of lemon trees?

Thanks. Sorry if the pictures are bad quality ones.

Comments (10)

• plantasdevida
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here is another image.

• krismast
    10 years ago

Yup! Those are definitely lemon Congrats! I do hate to be a downer but just to let you know that it will be quite a few years until you see flowers and fruit. sometimes up to 10 or more years, depending on conditions. But it's always a fun experiment to grow from seed!

Kristopher

• plantasdevida
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, I am more then happy I even got to start a lemon tree from seed!

When do you think I should repot them? Thanks.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

hi

here is a link with what I did to grow a meiwa kumquat tree from seed. Kumquats are among the hardest of citrus (fortunella crassifolia). The post will show through many picture with short write-up on the do's that worked and the don't that left dozens of my trees dead. If money is no object use alls gritty mix or equivalent or use my fortunella formula as described in this post. Its not as good but has served me well. This show pots used, what worked, pot systems I am testing now

Click on picture to open display of my tree through its stages of growth. use arrow keys to navigate.

{{gwi:576136}}

Click link below

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg0320572518736.html?7

• plantasdevida
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, I was actually going to use miracle grow citrus and cactus soil for the repotting, but I need to find a way to make this mix. (I don't know if I can get the money for it...)

I have them in a vermont organic soil that is very cheap.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

my fortunella formula is free for guys like me that don't have money of citrus order to spend. all the supplies used are free or very inexpensive. Stay away from commercial mixes. They are design to make profit first then meet minimal need for the plants to squeak by. Citrus is to finicky to squeak by.

The link below cover just about everything you need to grow free You already bypassed the nursery when you planted the seed. Keep bypassing the nursery and other stores

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg0320572518736.html?7

• plantasdevida
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, thanks. I tend to just take seeds out of random places or take plants for free from my friends.

Do you have any tips for the mix? Sorry if i am asking too many questions but I never made my own mix.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

My homemade soil mix drains very well and uses no purchased materials. I use rotted leaves from compost and rotted wood from hollow trees I add a substantial amount of sandy river bank soil, A moderate amount of sand I get by sweeping the street curb gutter Small amount of hard pan clay for nutrients. Crushed brick shards from 1/4 inch to 3/4 inch. Experiment with your own mix. You will have to fertilize on a regular bases With a 5-1-2 or similar fertilizer with -----MICRONUTRIENTS--- or your leaves will turn funny colors.

TO AID IN ROOT GROWTH AND DISEASE CONTROL I USE A POT WITH ABOUT 200 DRAIN HOLE IN THE BOTTOM AND ANOTHER 400 CIRCLING THE SIDEWALLS THIS ALLOWS ME TO DRAW AIR THROUGH THE LOWER HALF OF THE POT TO GET THE MOISTURE DEEP DOWN WHERE THE ROOT ARE JUST REACHING THUS KEEPING THAT AREA FRESH AND OXYGENATED.

{{gwi:32373}}
    potted seed grown nagami and meiwa kumquat trees In their hole riddled salad dressing container and potato salad bucket FREE FROM RESTURAUNT

{{gwi:586188}}
    Gallon food tins free from restaurants, Bottoms removed for excellent draining.

We both live in zone 6a and we only get a handful of true citrus growing weather days. to speed up your tree you will need to provide light and heat for late fall, winter, and most of spring. Thats when you tree will really grow.

{{gwi:39907}}
    Free 5 gallon buckets from restaurant and contractors Aluminium to line bucket from krogers $5 200FT roll. Light socket from trashed bath light stip. Cord from trashed item pick that up on trash pickup day 13W 5300K CFL from home depot, just ask employee for 4 pack $5.99+-
    ROOTS AT HOUSE TEMPERATURE, TOP OF
    TREE 20F WARMER, KEEP TREE AT LEAST 3 " FROM LIGHT BULB
    --------------------------TREE TAKES OFF ---------------------

AERATION OF ROOTS
    use vacuum cleaner or hair dryer on low or just blow. These items you have Picture will tell the rest

{{gwi:590537}}
    Bottomless coffee cup, and clear drink cups so roots are visible. Vacuum cleaner or blowdryer
    {{gwi:575229}}
    AERATED ROOTS MAKES FOR HEALTHY PLANTS. 10 SECOND BLAST WILL DO.

{{gwi:22022}}
    GALLON FOOD TINS. ONE IS POTTED MEIWA TREE FROM SEED THE OTHER IS AERATOR DEVICE

All my picture are public so feel free to click on them to open my photobucket displays an look around for ideas. Click link below to open my google image display

Here is a link that might be useful: https://plus.google.com/photos/111099372377958308731/albums/profile?banner=pwa

• plantasdevida
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the information! I will use all of this for sure. I don't even I have to buy any fertilizer, I think my fish tank water during water changes could work out well, plus when I move back the dorms they will be very very hot, perfect for the trees. :)

I have old compost that I've been making for years, I can just go get some sand and such from my backyard and mix it with that, along with some broken clay parts from an old pot that broke years ago.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

plantasdevida, you might want to search our forum for "511 mix" or "gritty mix". Both are great container mixes that most of our experienced container citrus folks like to use. They're easy to mix up, and provide excellent results. And, for fertilizing, again, most of our experienced container citrus folks like to use DynaGro Foliage Pro, which has an excellent NPK ratio, plus all the micronutients, including calcium.

Patty S.