Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What am I doing wrong?! Please help, seedling problems.

Posted by cynjrana 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 11:01

Three weeks ago I used some lemon seeds and used to the paper towel method to germinate them. I put it on my cable box since its consistently warm, didn't sprout anything instead it looked like i cooked the seeds and puss was either coming out or dried out completely. SO i tossed them. I went to my mom's house two weeks ago and did it for her using the paper towel method and her seeds sprouted within 3 days, she now has them in soil and it sprouted, I also put them on top of her cable box. I came home and did it again using the paper towel method this time putting it on a heating mat, that one failed as well and i had to toss them. I did it again for the third time, this time I was careful to completely peel off the second layer of the seeds so its completely the seeds, and also left some with the second brown coverings. I went to check them today, its only been three days and two of them already looks cooked.

I just can't understand what the heck am I doing wrong? I make sure the paper towel is not dry nor dripping but moist. I leave a little bit of air in there. Basically i did the exact same thing I did for my mom and her plants are doing beautifully and mine are failing miserably!

Please help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What am I doing wrong?! Please help, seedling problems.

I just wet the paper towel, fold it to about 3mm thick and put the seeds inside, fold it over, put it in a small self seal plastic bag with no holes, put it on the bed of the heated propagator and they germinate in a few days,
I dont crack or remove the shell of the pips at all they grow fine on there own, once germinating I move them over to small compost pots about 3oz in volume filled with compost made from 1 part peat, 1part grit/sand and 1 part garden soil, and then put them back in the propagator with a small plastic bottle over them as a mini greenhouse, just until they get growing

I always put the pips in the refrigerator for a few days before germinating as it seems to speed the germination up.

o

If the one I have now don't germinate, im going to do this again without removing the out layer and see how that works.

o

I never used the paper towel process with my seeds so i cant help you there. When I planted my seeds (Key lime) i placed the seeds from the fruit right into my potting mix (50% fine park 50% perlight).I placed the pot in a warm area under lights with no humidity doom. The seeds sprouted (all five seeds) in less then a week and grew very well. The one thing I made sure to do was water from below to lessen the chances of damp off disease. I also placed the pot in front of a fan a couple hour a day to help strengthen the stem. That was in Nov. and there doing fine today. Good luck with your seeds.

o

I just remove the outer layer and place in moist soil with a plastic lid/film.

2 weeks later they're usually sprouted. You can use a propagator but it not usually any better as long as your house is warm.

Regards
Nick

o

Can it have something to do with the lemons themselves? I feel its impossible to have this many seeds not germinate.

o

Well maybe but the cable box will be too warm I would think and I don't think paper towel method is great (personally) for fresh seed anyway (seed that hasn't dried out first).

Regards
Nick

o

I placed my seeds with soil in a small lunch meat container, close the lid and put it in the heating duct of my forced air furnace. They are up quick.

Steve

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 11:15

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here