Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wilmington_islander

Citrus Greening found in Savannah..whole state

now under quarantine...found on a lemon tree ( I assume a Meyers). Be on the lookout.

Comments (5)

• tolumnia
    14 years ago

Here is a link

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus greeing in GA

• brass_tacks
    14 years ago

It would be interesting to know what people are doing to protect their trees.

I have been spraying with Surround WP since before the flush. I had to get myself a motorized backpack sprayer and probably should get the fogger attachment. I probably would get better coverage. (Stihl sprayer that holds 4 gal.) I tried using the pump sprayer, but the droplets were too big to get even a fair coverage -- maybe if I was spraying a little tree it would not be so labor intensive.

The Kaolin clay (called Surround WP)powder is totally organic and a sticker is added. The supplier that has the best price is 7Springsfarm.com in Check, VA for $27. How I got my latest shipment of 10, 25# bags was by calling them and it just so happened that they had a new customer in Valdosta, GA that had placed a big enough order to have a truck delivery of their products. My order got placed on the truck and I paid $30 for my part of the shipping.

Here is the drawback -- you mix the powder (3 cups to a gallon of water is the ratio). While you can get fair to good coverage of the leaves, it requires a second coat. The spraying needs to be applied after a time -- depending on the dew, the rain, the wind, etc. It rubs off. So while we sprayed our trees just before a rain, to spray again within the week would just mean we would have to spray again, and again -- that's the problem.

However, I justify the application even if I don't know if the Asian psyllid is around here by knowing that my trees are being protected from other anthropods -- including aphids and maybe even leaf miners. I haven't seen any leaf miner damage so far, and that is out-of-this-world!! I don't see evidence of rust mite either -- although that damage is too early to detect (I think). Scale, none.

The other day when it felt like 100 outside, my cucumbers didn't even feel warm. I spray all my vegetables with it.

Maybe I should tell that I also use K-Phite 7P. That's a systemic organic fungicide/bactericide.

In Oct 2008 the Citrus industry in Florida had decreased by 30 percent. This Greening disease is a total tragedy.

• honeybunny442
    14 years ago

You have not been able to buy Citrus from Georgia since the beginning of Aug or Sept of 2008, although there was a guy Gizmo selling on ebay after that.

I didn't know that the quarantine was in effect when I bought mine from him, the USDA was very nice when they showed up at my house and expressed regret for having to take my plants and destroy them.

• brass_tacks
    14 years ago

So the plant police are out there stalking e-bay? Is that it? So your trees were confiscated because they were obtained after the fact. This would make a good movie.

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Hi
    Curious if you're going to be compensated by the seller. ?? i had a similar experience with citrus canker . Ended up being compensated by the state. Certainly worth a shot!! Also had an experience with "importation",orchids in this case, though they had a certificate was not recognized by state . Got money retured from seller in this case. Good luck gary