Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertdance

Help! What is this white lacy stuff on my orange?

We've been busy moving into this house for a couple weeks, and the focus has not been on plants.

This morning, I made my first rounds in a long time and discovered a small recently replanted orange tree with this very pretty, but scary stuff all over it. Of the many citrus here, it's the only one with this issue.

What is it and how do I get rid of it?

Thanks so much!

Suzi

Comments (15)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

I am interested in knowing too

• citrange2
    10 years ago

See below posts re Asian Citrus Psyllid

This post was edited by citrange on Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 15:28

• jean001a
    10 years ago

More likely psyllids. Not good.

See this
    http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74155.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Asian citrus psyllids

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jean001a, I believe you are correct. This particular tree has just put out a flush of new growth and evidently the adults love to lay eggs in the new growth. I read that article, called the hotline, and they are closed on the weekends. I'll call Monday. I fear they will come out and destroy my tree, but I'm hitting it with Imacloprid today. I have other citrus as do acres of citrus growers in our valley, and I don't want to spread this problem. They might have infected my tree. No way to tell. There is a huge citrus orchard at the end of our street...........

Thanks!

Suzi

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Uhoh! Please read the fact sheet provided by Jean carefully. You should call your local extension office and report this on Monday. There's no question about the identity of this pest.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I will definitely call Monday. I tried today, but they are closed.

Suzi

• susanne42
    10 years ago

that is very scary. i thought this pest is not in californian yet??

Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, now that I have looked at links and done a lot of research, it is very much in Southern California, and I doubt the insect knows borders.

I'm just happy that we have Merit (recommended for treatment by UC IPM), and could actually find it mid move. DH just hit all our citrus hard with that stuff. It wreaks havoc with the nervous systems of sucking insects and disrupts their life cycle.

I look forward to my call to the hotline on Monday. I just shot off an email to our local Ag representative with the photo I posted here. I left my cell number. I'll keep you updated with what they say.

Suzi

• krismast
    10 years ago

Thank you Suzi for doing the right and responsible thing!

Kristopher

• susanne42
    10 years ago

so sorry suzi if that means they will destroy your trees.
    don't know the procedure but hope they will spare the trees if there are no diseased trees in your area.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Oh boy. You're infested with Asian Citrus Psyllid, Suzi. Please call your local Ag agent. Now, no one is going to destroy your trees, but they will assist you in treating your trees. You DO want to treat to try to get rid of the psyllid as they are the vector for Citrus Greening (Huonglongbing). So far, we do not have Citrus Greening in California, but we do want to watch carefully for it, and it is important you call your local CDFA agent and have them come and test your trees, just to be sure. Please keep us updated. You are not far from Riverside, where there are some very important trees (the UC Riverside Citrus Variety Collection). I will be interested in following this message thread.

Patty S.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I heard back from the hotline after I emailed them a photo. Here is their response:

RE: Possible Asian Citrus Psyllid Infestation. Photo Attached

From

PDEP, PestHotline@CDFA

Hello Suzi

IâÂÂm going to go ahead submit your information to our visual survey crew so they can contact you with a time and date thatâÂÂs most convenient for you so our survey team can look at your tree further.

Thank you very much for your submission to California Department of Food & Agriculture Exotic Pest Hotline, we appreciate your assistance in protecting California agriculture.

Best Regards

Vanessa

CDFA - Exotic Pest Hotline

Pest Detection/Emergency Projects

800-491-1899 Hotline

(Press 0 for an operator)

So now I wait for their call! I hope they can come soon!!
    Suzi

• fruits_veggies
    10 years ago

please check and let me know whether these bugs are asian psyllids or something else. Also I would really appreciate any suggestions to get rid of these for ever.

I live in Dallas, TX. I got a kumquat tree from local Costco last spring, I think my Kumquat is infested with asian psyllids and they also spread to my Papaya tree, which was near the Kumquat tree.

My plants were in the garage for the winter and I didn't notice these bugs/asian psyllids. Almost 40% of Kumquat is dried.

Attached are the close up pictures

{{gwi:385459}}

{{gwi:385460}}

{{gwi:385461}}

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

No. Appears to be both scale and spider mites. Also, you're much better off starting your own message thread, instead of tacking onto someone else's much older message :-)

Patty S.

• fruits_veggies
    10 years ago

Thanks Patty,

I'm relieved that the bugs in my plants are not Asian psyllids .

I could have stated a new thread but was reading this one and posted my question here.