Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf Tangerine Tree Pruning Question

Posted by cmackelvie CA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 5, 12 at 11:59

I have a dwarf tangerine tree that is bush like in appearance with the exception of one branch that sticks straight up, has leaves and thorns on it but no fruit (the rest of the "bush" is loaded with fruit. This particular branch doesn't appear to be a sucker as it is part of the main trunk. I would like to cut it at the base of the trunk but don't know what effect it would have on the rest of the tree. I know I'll probably have to wait until the tree goes dormant.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Cheryl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf Tangerine Tree Pruning Question

• Posted by TimSF CA Z8B/Sunset17 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 5, 12 at 13:17

Hi Cheryl, welcome! Is there any chance you can take a picture and post it here? All you need to do is place your photo in Photobucket, hover your mouse over the image and copy the HTML code and paste it into the body of your message here. When you "Preview Message" you'll be able to see it just as we will.

From your description, it sounds like your tangerine's just putting on new growth and may just be the first of many to come! You certainly can remove these, but future fruit production will usually occur on these new stems. Why do you want to remove? Is it aesthetic? If so, maybe you might consider trimming it as opposed to removing outright. But please do post a picture (and also one of the graft union), so that we can better determine that it truly is not a sucker.

Tim

o

Hi Cheryl....I have the same problem only I have 2 branches growing like a house a fire and those horrible 1" thorns!

o

Sounds like a water sprout which is a sucker that emanates from the graft and not the rootstock (which would be a rootstock sucker). Not unusual for young citrus, and for the sake of the shape of the tree, you can certainly prune it down to the edge of the canopy (NOT to the trunk). They will settle down, lose their thorns and eventually produce flowers and fruit. Tim is correct, if you're sure they are emanating from above the graft, simply prune them to match the shape of the tree. Lemons are particulary prone to water sprouts I've found, and even my Cara Cara and Tango mandarin have produced some worthy water sprouts.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC Davis: Pruning, Thinning & Training Citrus

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here