Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meyer Lemon is loving the great outdoors

Posted by sunnysideuphill 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 30, 12 at 12:48

Ok, so right after I brought it out, late May, there was a monster storm, with big hail. It didn't do any damage other than knocking off the larger of the two little fruits.
But after a month - lots of new leaves, and the remaining lemon is now the size of a kumquat! It blossomed late March, and set fruit in the house.
How big will it get, and will it turn yellow to let me know it is ready to pick?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meyer Lemon is loving the great outdoors

The fruit needs about 5-6 months from flower to mature, which is defined as 8.5 Brix (% sugar). If you have only one it may get to be the size of a coffee cup (1/3-1/2 lb).
If it bloomed in March, it will be ready to harvest first of November; you can leave it longer, as the longer it stays on the tree the more yellow it will get, but it won't get "riper", only more colorful... some of that depends on your climate and how cool your nights are.

I would recommend you don't leave it on the tree past the end of December, as it will retard the next bloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here