Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Disease ID on Citrus Bush

Posted by aberry1401 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 13:38

Please help if you can. I just started gardening a little over a year ago, so every new obstacle in the garden is a new research project, and the latest has me pretty confused. I have three citrus plants: one Meyer lemon, one blood orange, and one mystery citrus bush that I believe may be another Meyer lemon. All three are in the ground in my back yard in San Antonio, TX (zone 8), and all three have received the same treatment this year, BUT the mystery citrus has had a rough time lately. (The other two are doing well, growing fuit for the second summer in a row.)

About the Plant (believed to be Meyer lemon, but I did not plant it, so I do not know for sure):
This bush or tree has not successfully produced a piece of fruit in the last two years (the only two years that I've been in this house with it). This year it blossomed like crazy, then had severe leaf drop followed by complete shedding of all the multitude of little baby citrus fruits that were starting to grow. Some of the fruit yellowed before it fell off, some did not. After that, some of the leaves began to regrow, but there is definitely still something wrong with some of them. They are discolored with randomly distributed yellow spots on the upper leaf surfaces of affected leaves and rough brownish patches showing on the undersides.

I am thinking about removing the bush since I don't want a non-producer (or a disease spreader) in my limited back yard space, so please help if you know what this is.

Here are the questions I'm trying to figure out:
What is this disease (see pictures below)? Is it responsible for the bush's leaf and fruit loss? What are the chances that whatever this is will spread to other nearby citrus plants? What are the chances that it's in the soil and will spread to a new citrus bush if I were to try and replace this one?

This post was edited by aberry1401 on Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 13:29

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Disease ID on Citrus Bush

maybe a fungus?

o

Maybe greasy spot.

o

One more thought. Have you examined very carefully for scale?

o

This definitely looks like Greasy Spot. This is a fungal disease that can happen and can easily be treated. Your citrus tree is not a "disease spreader", but you do need to take care of it :-) Be sure you're fertilizing regularly, and if it is an Improved Meyer lemon, it will need a little extra helping. They can be VERY prolific producers of fruit when they're healthy, so let's work on getting your tree back to optimum health. Just contact your local garden center or ag agent for appropriate fungicides to treat. I believe this is very easy to treat if you stay on top of things.

Here is a link that might be useful: Greasy Spot

o

Thank you to susanne42, yakkwak, and hoosierquilt for your helpful input! I will treat for greasy spot and search for scale forthwith. I will also try to remember that this particular plant may require extra helpings of fertilizer, and we'll see what happens next year.

o

Here's what TAMU says about it
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/citrus/l2315.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: words from TAMU

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here