Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jazzyfool

Lemon tree - dust and webs

jazzyfool
9 years ago

Hi everyone - I have a genoa lemon tree that is not doing well right now. I've noticed a light brown dust that is coating some of the branches and leaves as well as some white webbing. Leaves are falling off really easily and are a very pale green.

I don't notice any insects but they may be hard to see. Can anyone help on what this stuff is or if it's related to the tree's health? The tree was received about a year ago as a gift and I believe was 3 years old when purchased.

Thanks! I can post more pictures if requested.

Comments (10)

• cfox248
    9 years ago

I'm not sure about the white in the picture, but webbing is spider mites. Very tiny, very hard to spot - put a piece of white paper under a branch and shake it, black specs should fall onto the paper.

Blasting it with a good spray from the hose and giving it a spritz of neem oil every few days should keep them in check.

I can't tell you what that white is, though, because I have no idea :/

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

The webbing shown in the image is not that from spider mites, at least not as shown on my computer. Can't tell for sure what the brown stuff or white stuff is from the image. Perhaps mealybugs., or scale insects.

Your plant could have spider mites, but the picture does not do a good job of showing us anything of the overall condition of your plant. Spider mite webs are minute webs strung like a real spider's web from leaf to leaf all around the plant. One can see the eensy mites traversing the webs like little trapeze walkers.

Give us more information about your plant's growing conditions, maybe some more images of the white and brown stuff, the leaves, etc., and perhaps we can better help you.

• jazzyfool
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sure - wish I could upload more than one picture at a time.

The tree is in a medium-large sized pot. It stays outside but until a recent relocation wasn't getting a lot of sun. We've had some off and on very wet weather but overall tend towards less water (believe the roots don't like staying wet).

Here's a picture of the white webbing - seems like a few people believe this to be spider mites. I'll post again below with a clearer picture of the brown dust.

• jazzyfool
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here's another picture of the brown dust. I suppose the two things may be related.

I hope this helps. Thanks for your help. Let me know if more pictures are needed.

• jean001a
    9 years ago

The "dust" is apparently scale.
    The fine stippling on the leaves is due to mites feeding from the undersides of the leaves.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

I agree with the infestatoin about the scale, but I also believe your tree is infested with spider mites. You have the classic stippling pattern on the leaf that is indicative of spider mites. First, give your tree a good hard blast with water to knock off as much mites as possible, targeting the undersides of the leaves. Then, treat with Neem oil (as long as your temps don't exceed 85 degrees). Leave the tree in the shade when treating with Neem if you can, to avoid sunburn. You may need to treat with Neem several times, you have a very heavy infestation of both, it appears.

Patty S.

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Yup, been there and done that..

Patty's suggestion is a good one..Worked well for me in the past.The key is to spray at the right time and to keep up with it..

Rhizo..So happy to see you back! My mom says to give you and Patty a smile and hello..

MIke

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Get yourself a 10x loupe; it will give you a much better look at what is attacking/infecting your tree. Some things you just can't see with the naked eye.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Hey, Mike, tell your mom hi, and bet you all are glad for your great spring weather!! And, John has a great idea, it is very helpful to have this in your tool arsenal. Rhizo, WHERE have you been? We are missing our bug lady. Jean has been doing a good job holding down the bug fort, though :-)

Patty S.

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

When I go into the field to check my trees, I "arm up" like I am going into battle; I take my water bottle, my pruning shears, my camera, my ugly hat (a prerequisite at my properties) and my 10x loupe.
    Each of my property administrators also has a 10x loupe; and they are trained to look for the "normal" pests that plague our trees... abnormal things are for me to diagnose... or to ask here of those who know a lot more than I .