Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gregbradley

Planting a Meyer with "wet feet" issues

gregbradley
9 years ago

I have two Meyer Standards awaiting planting, which should have happened a while ago. They have been in the sun all winter and under the eaves on the north side of my house as it started to get hot.

I didn't realize that the heavier mix in the Durling tree was holding water much better than the other until the leaves started to yellow a bit and some new lemons started to turn black. I can see now that the soil has been too wet. The other one in the same location with the same watering and fertilizing is doing well.

I will probably have a hole for one of the Meyers ready by tomorrow. I can plant the one that is doing well or the one that has had its feet wet too much. It hasn't lost a single leaf but most of them are drooping and less green than they were. The one that is doing poorly fits the espalier in that location better.

Should I plant it as-is? Should I let it dry out a bit and let it recover in the pot? I was thinking I might take all the mix off the roots and plant it in the hole with minimal amendments.

Comments (3)

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Without fotos of the trees and the roots, it is hard to advise.

I would probably plant your problem tree first; Upland is a pretty dry place. Check the pH of the soil; if it is over 7.5 you will need to take special care regarding ferts and minerals.

I wouldn't leave it in the pot another minute. Planted in the ground in your climate you will find your Meyers to be very easy to live with and they should produce a mountain of lemons. Look for some good citrus fertilizer with an NPK ratio of 3-1-2 or close to that with Mg, Ca, Fe, and Zn and when growth starts (not before) begin a regular fert regimen according to label instructions; when fruit starts increase to 1.5 label instructions. Can you tell us what rootstock you have? Perhaps the most common 'standard' in CA is Carrizo, which has a Phytophera problem... probably not an issue in Upland.

Simple fert options: Vigoro Citrus and Avocado, or organic... Espoma Citrus Tone.

• gregbradley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks John,

Durling uses C-35 for their Standards in general. I assume they don't use it for all cultivars.

I've been using mostly Vigoro Citrus on the mature Citrus and Avocado planted in the ground. My backyard used to be a citrus grove but I've not tested my soil.

I've just received some Jack's 25-5-15 but if the Meyers prefer 3-1-2 ratio instead of 5-1-3, I can do that easily as the two Meyer Standards will be making one big espalier.

The citrus I've potted are getting Vigoro in the pot and Foliage Pro as a foliar. FP is 3-1-2 ratio plus Micros. I adjust the water for the potted ones to PH 5-6 at Ieast every third watering as my water is PH 8-8.5. I noticed the potted LImes want more N than that.

Below is a pic of the center of the problem Meyer. Light green leaves instead of dark. Starting of yellow veins. Some curling. All 10-15mm fruit turning yellow or black. 20mm fruit still green as is tiny fruit that just set. Black fruit and just set tiny fruit are in center of picture.

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Your Meyer is a bit underfed; they tend to look like that if they are hungry. C-35 is a good rootstock; it should not be a factor in your climate. The principal issue with Meyers is food, food, and then a little more food and when bearing they need 3-1-2... unless you just want to grow pretty green plants. Mg and Ca are crucial, Fe and Zn less so.