Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Satsuma curling leaves

Posted by houtexgarden none (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 14:27

Please help let me know what is the symptom of these curling leaves on Satsuma after I put down the tree and fertilized it with one Miracle-Gro and general fertilizer from Nursery. This symptom also happen to other Kamquat trees.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Satsuma curling leaves

Are there squiggly gray lines on the leaves? If so, it's citrus leaf miner.

Kristopher

o

Was it recently purchased and re-potted?

Did you follow the directions on the fertilizer package?

Josh

o

Well, I used only one Miracle-gro and a minimal amount of general fertilizer. There are also many small black ants on these citrus plants...This symptom of curling / white stripped leaves also occurs with my other 2 Kumquat plants in their pots. Here is a close up picture on the leaves...Is this leaf miner, please help confirm.

o

Well, I used only one Miracle-gro and a minimal amount of general fertilizer. There are also many small black ants on these citrus plants...This symptom of curling / white stripped leaves also occurs with my other 2 Kumquat plants in their pots. Here is a close up picture on the leaves...Is this leaf miner, please help confirm.

o

Yes, definitely leaf miner!

Kristopher

o

Thanks Kristopher. I just used Bayer Insect Control and hope it helps saving my plants.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/10/10095a92-5ed4-44f3-a400-97ee192b2c41.pdf

o

HAVE YOU TRIED A SPRAY TO FEED? I JUST PURCHASED ALASKA FISH FERTILIZER (5-1-1) TO TEST ON A FEW SATSUMA'S (WE HAVE 600); HEARD IT WAS GOOD AS A NATURAL PESTICIDE AND FOOD.

HAS ANYONE SPRA YED CITRUS USING ALASKA FISH 5-1-1?

o

Citrus lead miner, larve of small whitish moth. they lay their eggs on the new leaves. i spray once a week when the new growth emerges. Spinosad is a great spray.There are several other that work well

o

Message should have read citrus leaf miner instead of lead miner, my mistake.

o

Houston, this is Citrus Leafminer, and the damage is done. You can stop further damage, but the affected leaves are damaged. Now, this is not fatal, it is mostly just a cosmetic issue, so not to worry. You now know when CLM hits in your area, so next year, be sure to put down Bayer Advanced about 2 weeks before now (say, early June/late May), and your trees will be protected. Don't worry about the ugly leaves, leave them on the tree as your young trees need all their leaves right now to generate energy for the tree. For those who do not want to use Imidacloprid, you can spray with a combination of Spinosad and a hort oil (like Volck or Neem oil), every 3 weeks during the season. Just do not use hort oils if your temps threaten to go above 85 degrees. Which is nearly every day now, in Texas.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aggie Hort: Citrus Leafminer

o

Actually, Patty, it's way over 85° every day here. It was officially 107° yesterday, a new record!

Houston, those Citrus Leaf Miners have been around for a while now. You can either use the Imidacloprid like Patty says, or use Spinosad one week and Neem oil the next week, alternating the two, for several weeks, while they are actively laying their eggs, which as you can see is right now. The TAMU article doesn't give an exact spray schedule, but that's what TreeSeach Farms recommends, and they grow most of the citrus that are sold here, and have researched varieties that will be healthy and productive here. You need to alternate the two so the CLM won't become resistant to either. If you only use Spinosad, then eventually resistant CLM will show up.

I haven't treated them at all, and my citrus all look bad, but they are still productive.

Citrus doesn't need fertilizing very often, I do it about once a year. They don't need to be fertilized when they're newly planted, it can damage the roots (this goes for any plant). But please don't use Miracle Gro. Are you close to Southwest Fertilizer, at Bissonnet and Renwick? They have two different citrus fertilizers. And they have some organics that will work well on citrus, too, if you prefer that. Buchanan's in the Heights will also have citrus fertilizer, and so will RCW, which is on the northwest side of the Beltway.

And in our area, you shouldn't let it produce fruit the first year. It needs to spend a year making a strong root system, rather than focusing its energy on fruit. You'll be rewarded in the future if you do this with large harvests. I have a satsuma and it is about 6 years old and I'm getting about 15-20 fruit every year now. It's hard to pick those small fruit off, believe me, but it's very rewarding in the future.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here