Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pummelo tree?

Posted by a.shau 8b (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 14:47

I think what we have in our yard is a pummelo tree, which wonderfully, is bearing fruit. However the last few times I took a fruit off, it looked under developed.

I was wondering how one can tell a fruit is ready/ripened for plucking?

Also, since I live in SF in a transitional area, it might be that it doesn't get warm enough for the fruit to develop properly?

Thanks all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pummelo tree?

Photos, please :-) Pummelo and pummelo hybrids are usually ripe starting in January, through April. The Cocktail pummelo hybrid a little earlier, around Nov/Dec through April. Most citrus ripen in the winter, except for a few cultivars, such as some late mandarins and the Valencia orange. So, now would not be the time to pick your pummelos, if that's what you have. You shouldn't have any issues with pummelos ripening properly. Grapefruits, yes, but not pummelos.

Patty S.

o

I wonder if it could possibly be a root stock? Four Winds Growers use Cuban Shaddock, I think that's a kind of small pummello?
I have one, graft dies years ago and we just left it. It gets small softball sized yellow fruit that looks underdeveloped inside with little juice. And huge wicked thorns.

Like Patty said, pictures would help a lot, of the whole tree and the fruit.

o

Here is a photo of tree. It is definitely a pummelo, as I took a fruit down yesterday (it had started to rot on one side) and cut it open. Pic to follow in the next post. The fruit was very tart when I tasted it. I'm thinking that perhaps it's just not warm enough here or else the tree itself is too young?

o

a.shau, a Shaddock IS a pummelo (just an older name for the same cultivar). Cuban Shaddock is used extensively by Four Winds Growers in California for their citrus trees. What Barb is telling you, is it is possible that you had some other citrus tree growing, and the cultivar scion has died off, just leaving the Cuban Shaddock rootstock to grow. They will look just like other pummelos, but will remain sour. Has this fruit been ripe on the tree since January? If so, then I suspect Barb may be correct - you just have rootstock growing. Can you see the graft line on the trunk? If not, and if this fruit has been on the tree ripe since January (which sounds like the case, since some of the fruit is already going bad??), you've just got rootstock growing.v As I've already mentioned to you, pummelos do not need heat units to sweeten like grapefruit do.

Patty S.

o

Ah - interesting, ok I get it! Will look for the graft line. I don't think I saw one before when I was looking, so perhaps it is indeed the rootstock. Thanks all!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here