Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bhhstudios_gw

Meyers Lemon Bonsai questions

bhhstudios
15 years ago

Hey everyone, I have a few quick questions and it seems like this is the place to get those answered.

I am in the process of making a bonsai out of a meyers lemon and was wondering if the "pods" that are on a branch are fruiting or if the fruit was knocked off.

Here are teh "pods"

{{gwi:592677}}

{{gwi:592679}}

Thanks for checking it out, if anyone is interested I will post shots of the rest of the tree.

Comments (15)

• bhhstudios
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anyone?

• meyermike_1micha
    15 years ago

Well,
    If they are fruit developing, those pods will stay on the tree longer than just 2 days. If it is spent fruit in developement stage, and these pods fall off within a couple days, you will know faster than anyone here can answrer. Looks like the base of those pods are turning yellow which suggests to me they won't make it anyways. It is impossible to knock the fruit off without knocking the pod off at the same time though...:-)

• lehua49
    15 years ago

Bhh,

Just my 2 cents but I would say the fruit has dropped off and the base pods remain. I have had some fruit drop on my lemon and they look similar. The base pods are still there after the fruit drop and haven't fallen off or dried up even after a few weeks.

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Wow, did you guys ever see the movie, The Body Snatchers? That's what those pods look like..LOL..I can't ID it. Toni

• bhhstudios
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anyone?

• bhhstudios
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Woops, sorry about posting that again, I refreshed the page and it posted again haha.

Lehua13, that was what I was thinking. I have had citrus fruit in the past and it always seemed like the flower turned right into the fruit, and you could see little lemon / orange balls.

I will give it another week and if nothing shows up I am going to either chop the branch or train it to fill in the back a bit.

Here is a shot of it before pruning and after a "virtual" prune. I did all the pruning as in the pic except I left the branch with the "pods" and you can see it might look a bit better with that branch gone.

{{gwi:592680}}

{{gwi:592681}}

• lehua49
    15 years ago

bhh,

Gorgeous, the virtual pic is so symmetrical. How often do you have to prune the roots? I think a Varigated Lemon might be a nice contrast with your Meyer Lemon.

• bhhstudios
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you. This is a new tree and the roots have only been pruned once when it was potted. I'll have to keep an eye out for a Varigated Lemon. Also I am guessing that the "pods" are not going to fruit since they have turned yellow and now I can chop that branch off :)

• lehua49
    15 years ago

Hi bhh,

I am still awe struck how beautiful your plant and the set up is. Will the fruit grow to full size? Do you leave it outside or it stays inside. If so, any special lighting? Aloha.

• bhhstudios
    Original Author
    15 years ago

From what I have read I know that the leaves will be the same size as a regular size lemon tree. I assume the fruit will also be the same size. I am guessing it will only be able to support a few lemons at a time. I will take more pics as things progress.

I am in zone 5b and right now it is ranging from 65-80 and it has been outside for 2 weeks. There is new growth since pruning and I have heard keeping citrus in smaller pots forces fruiting so we shall see what the buds turn into.

• lehua49
    15 years ago

Thanks bhh,

Very interesting. Let everyone know how it goes with updates. The new thing is gardening DIY diaries on YouTube. You could do something like that. The number of times people watch your video is counted. Fun to watch and learn. Thanks for sharing. Take care. Aloha.

• bhhstudios
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just to update for archival purposes the pods fell off and now the branch is gone. I think that regardless of conditions whatever those pods were would not have gone to fruit. From my limited experience with citrus it seems they may have had the fruit knocked off.

The tree is growing lots of new growth and at least a dozen flowers since the project started.

I will post some pics once the flowers bloom.

• bhhstudios
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just wanted to update people that are interested.

Since pruning there has been an explosion of growth. Clearly I did not kill the tree, if anything I made it happier. There are flowers everywhere and more popping up every day, I will have to prune a lot of the fruit off if even 50% of the flowers turn to fruit. The bees can't wait for these flowers to open cause they just hover around drooling at the mouth haha.

I will bring it into the studio when it blooms to get some better pics but here are a few snaps.

I have watered it twice since the pruning and fertilized it once with a high nitrogen orchid fertilizer 25-10-10.

I can't wait till these flowers pop open.

{{gwi:592682}}

{{gwi:592683}}

{{gwi:592684}}

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

That is a nice little lemon tree you got there. Great job!Great pics also...

• rent4u2
    15 years ago

Where would I get any seeding to start tree stateside...especailly in DSM IOWA USA???
    Very Kewl tree.... almost as amazing as my neighbors fruit cocktail tree....

Txs/DC