Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mn_citrus

Can Miracle-Gro Shake 'n Feed Citrus be used in containers?

mn_citrus
10 years ago

I just repotted 4 citrus trees, 2 Meyer lemons and a Calamondin from cuttings and a grafted Moro. They're all in 1.5 gallon pots since I'll need to take them inside during the winter. I used the miracle grow citrus/cactus soil with some extra pumice to make sure it was well draining.

However, when it came to buying fertilizer, since I'm in MN my local options are a bit limited. I picked up a bottle of Miracle Grow Shake 'n Feed Citrus off of Amazon, but now that it's arrived I see that you're not supposed to use it for container plants.

http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/miracle-gro-continuous-release-citrus-avocado-mango-plant-food/prod70322/

"While Miracle-Gro Shake N Feed Citrus Avocado and Mango Plant Food can be used on all types of plants, it is not registered for use on container plants. The nitrogen can release too quickly to be safe for the confined root system of container plants."

1) Can I just adjust the dosage and still get away with using this?

2) If not, I can just spread this on my lawn instead, but then what fertilizer should I use? Most stores in MN won't carry citrus specific fertilizer, so I'll probably need a recommendation for something I can easily mail order. I've seen some recommendations for Peters 25-5-15, but I haven't found a place to buy that around here.

Comments (12)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

They say that to cover their butts. I have used their products with no problems. just start with small amounts and see how your trees do.

Mike

• mn_citrus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What dosage do you use? How big are your plants/pots?

10 years ago

I Dont take a very scientific approach to my gardening. I have trees in 1 gallon to 10 gallon. I'll throw a little handful in here and there. Sorry I garden like I cook. never use a recipe. LoL.
    I realize that doesn't help you at all and I apologize.

Mike

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

I'm afraid that I would heed the advice on the label. Since Mike has NO idea of how much to use in a certain sized container, it seems like a smart idea to use that particular product in your garden areas. Right? I took a quick look at the Shake and Feed Instructions and the warning "Not to be used on indoor and outdoor container plants " seems pretty clear, to me.

If you use the 'search the forums ' right here in the Citrus Forum for fertilizers, you'll be able to read the results of hundreds of threads that have been posted on this forum without having to scroll through a zillion pages.

• mn_citrus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm leaning towards ordering a small bottle of foliage pro, but I'm seeing a wide variety of dosing advise in this forum.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Not so much variety, really.

Foliage Pro directions are explicit - 1 teaspoon per gallon of water, once per week. That's the basis of every other fertigating schedule. 1/2 teaspoon, twice a week, for example, and so on and so forth, until you get to 1/4 strength every time you water (which assumes 3 - 4 waterings a week).

Josh

10 years ago

Rhizo is correct I have NO idea how much to use.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Great advice everyone!

Hello, Rhizo, Mike and Josh!:-)

Mike

• Michael Keef
    7 years ago

I know this is late, but I live in the Houston area and have a 4ft+ mango. Keeping it in a large container until I move to Florida. I just take one-half to one-third of a cup off the directed amount for my size plant. Worked it about three inches below the soil surface, then added one inch of Miracle Grow Citrus/Cactus mix potting soil. Flood it daily to every other day when it's producing new growth (because in the summer it grows four inches every one to two weeks). It stays fine. I haven't noticed much of a difference in growth since I added the fertilizer, however. It's like it's just there if it needs it.

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    7 years ago

The label stating that it shouldn't be used in containers is from exactly what Mike said years ago at the top of the thread; it's to cover their butts.

In order for an instruction to be printed on a label the company has to do controlled trials under specific conditions as dictated by the government. Those trials are very expensive and sometimes a company may chose to not do them for certain situations such as in a container. So they can't recommend the product for that use, even though it may work just fine. Hence the disclaimer.

I've also used the Shake n feed in containers just like that and have had no issues.

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    7 years ago

Thinking about the warning not to use Shake n' Feed in a container, it probably is because its rate of release is based on temperature rather than moisture. The theory was that plants would need more fertilizer as temperatures rose from spring into summer when they were in active growth. So, the fertilizer pellets would release more nutrients when plants need it during their most active growth period in summer. However, the "dumping" of the nutrients and consequent burning of the roots was a real problem when the slow release fertilizers were used in hot climates. I think I read that the newer formulas for use in warm climates release the nutients based on moisture and temperature to avoid the dumping and burning. I don't think the "dumping" was as much of a problem in colder climates using the temperature dependent formulas. But even in the cooler areas, dark containers can really heat up, especially when they are in direct sun. That heat can cause the nutrients to be released too rapidly and burn the roots in a container. The soil most likely doesn't heat up as rapidly around the roots of an in ground tree so the nutrients will not be released as rapidly as in a pot or where there is high heat. You can probably find a slow release formula for warm climates that work well in containers. They are probably formulas that are more based on moisture levels than temperature.

Cory