Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can Miracle-Gro Shake 'n Feed Citrus be used in containers?

Posted by mn_citrus MN (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 15:15

I just repotted 4 citrus trees, 2 Meyer lemons and a Calamondin from cuttings and a grafted Moro. They're all in 1.5 gallon pots since I'll need to take them inside during the winter. I used the miracle grow citrus/cactus soil with some extra pumice to make sure it was well draining.

However, when it came to buying fertilizer, since I'm in MN my local options are a bit limited. I picked up a bottle of Miracle Grow Shake 'n Feed Citrus off of Amazon, but now that it's arrived I see that you're not supposed to use it for container plants.

http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/miracle-gro-continuous-release-citrus-avocado-mango-plant-food/prod70322/

"While Miracle-Gro Shake N Feed Citrus Avocado and Mango Plant Food can be used on all types of plants, it is not registered for use on container plants. The nitrogen can release too quickly to be safe for the confined root system of container plants."

1) Can I just adjust the dosage and still get away with using this?

2) If not, I can just spread this on my lawn instead, but then what fertilizer should I use? Most stores in MN won't carry citrus specific fertilizer, so I'll probably need a recommendation for something I can easily mail order. I've seen some recommendations for Peters 25-5-15, but I haven't found a place to buy that around here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can Miracle-Gro Shake 'n Feed Citrus be used in containers?

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 20:39

They say that to cover their butts. I have used their products with no problems. just start with small amounts and see how your trees do.

Mike

o

What dosage do you use? How big are your plants/pots?

o

Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 9:32

I Dont take a very scientific approach to my gardening. I have trees in 1 gallon to 10 gallon. I'll throw a little handful in here and there. Sorry I garden like I cook. never use a recipe. LoL.
I realize that doesn't help you at all and I apologize.

Mike

o

I'm afraid that I would heed the advice on the label. Since Mike has NO idea of how much to use in a certain sized container, it seems like a smart idea to use that particular product in your garden areas. Right? I took a quick look at the Shake and Feed Instructions and the warning "Not to be used on indoor and outdoor container plants " seems pretty clear, to me.

If you use the 'search the forums ' right here in the Citrus Forum for fertilizers, you'll be able to read the results of hundreds of threads that have been posted on this forum without having to scroll through a zillion pages.

o

I'm leaning towards ordering a small bottle of foliage pro, but I'm seeing a wide variety of dosing advise in this forum.

o

Not so much variety, really.

Foliage Pro directions are explicit - 1 teaspoon per gallon of water, once per week. That's the basis of every other fertigating schedule. 1/2 teaspoon, twice a week, for example, and so on and so forth, until you get to 1/4 strength every time you water (which assumes 3 - 4 waterings a week).

Josh

o

Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 21:54

Rhizo is correct I have NO idea how much to use.

o

Great advice everyone!

Hello, Rhizo, Mike and Josh!:-)

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here