Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maggyby

My first citrus in Al's 5-1-1 mix

maggyby
9 years ago

Well I finally repotted the limquat in the 5-1-1. It is a year old tree and was in the small narrow pot in the picture. I carefully washed off the soil and soaked the roots for a few hours. I tried to make sure there is no air around the roots.
How long do I need to keep it in the shade and when can I start feeding with dyna grow ? Do I introduce it to the sun gradually? I used repti bark but it is expensive at $25 a bag and that will only do two pots. Bark fines or micro bark does not seem to be available here in Windsor,Ont.
This is a great forum and I appreciate any advise from others. I have 5 trees now and I want to learn how to take good care of them. Maggy

Comments (150)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Maggy Don't waste your money on a greenhouse like the one above. You are to far north for the quality and quantity of sunlight you will need to avoid monster heating bills. I do my citrus trees in the basement inside closed reflective containers under 20 CFL's at 15 watts each. The trees heat up to 80-90 degrees and grow mor in the winter than I ever get in summer growth. The waste heat from the bulbs will do a fine job of warming the unheated sun room.

See pics of my setup. While what I did will not work perfect for you, it will have ideas for you to work from.

{{gwi:557507}}
    2 story grow box for citrus and veggie starts. Beet are growing for their greens on the 1st floor. this heats the roots of the citrus trees on the 2nd floor.

{{gwi:559710}}
    For your smaller trees you can use foil lined 5 gallon buckets to 35+ gallon trash cans. I use one light in a ceramic fixture in the bottom of the top bucket.

{{gwi:39907}}
    My Meiwa kumquat tree next to it's bucket light. As the tree grows I lengthen the legs.

If you paint your sun room bright high gloss white you can use the entire room as a grow box and feed yourselves all fall, winter, and spring on 1000 watts in CFL's along with your citrus trees as I am now doing each winter in my basement. Check the link below Plastic film is the worst thing to use for greenhouse efficiency

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/wreristhechimney/slideshow/sunshine2013

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Maggy. You poor thing and Brian. Sheesh. Lol. No three's for me yet. Although I did have a one.
    The wind knocked my orange tree over and sent the oranges rolling down my street. The dog grab two and squashed them.

Good luck with the water Maggy.

Listen. If you keep that room cool it will be perfect. No electricity and no bugs. The leaves will hang on and your trees will just rest if the temp drops below 55. If above 55. They will be fine too. As long as you don't over water in which that mix will help you a lot.
    If you find that you are losing leaves, it's not always a bad thing. Its the tree way serving through the winter and will review them back as long as you don't over water.
    You may even loose a few branches but it will bounce back in spring.

As long as you use a good mix and watch your watering, you won't be killing the roots while the tree finds a way to strategize.

Maybe you can pull some ideas from Steve's set up. Extra light and warmth will certainly keep your trees active all winter too. I prefer to give them rest or just natural all day sun if I can from a south facing window.

Brian too also made some great points. I grow like he does when it comes to winter and have the same reasons.

A greenhouse like that won't go beyond a couple of years of two because of the material and the weight of snow if you should get some. But it is great to putting your tres out much earlier and bringing them in much later than usual. That would be great

Mike

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Brian,Mike and Steve for sharing all your expertise and experience. One can get very confused with the "overwintering" dilemma so my understanding is one can keep their trees actively growing in the winter by proving heat and lots of light. Or one can place their citrus in a cold room around 55 degrees with less light and let them rest.of course I gave lots of questions but I won't ask them all at once or I will bore you to death..
    Steve you have quite an innovative setup there and obviously it is working well for you. Thanks for the pictures and explanation. Lots to think about
    Brian and Mike I see your trees look great. I think I will use the sunroom with a heater to keep it at the right temperature. The floor is laminate and likely very cold. Would it help to put some kind of rug/carpets under the pots to keep them from being too cold. I have 14 windows so lots of light and little direct sun but suspect I will need to add supplement lighting. I have 4 overhead lights that can be adjusted to different positions. Would ottlite grow lights 75 watts ( 950 lumens) be useful or do I need something much stronger. If I keep my trees cold what will happen to the fruit that is on the trees. My understanding is also that I keep them in the 5-1-1 mix,water sparingly and feed 1/4 tsp dynaGro with each watering. I guess I am wondering if they are resting in the cooler temperatures do I need to give them extra light at all.? I can see it is a balancing act and what works for one may not work for another. Steve has success with his method and your method seems to work for you.
    I have more questions about extending the time outside but will leave that for later.
    Brian I am glad you had a good laugh. My husband freaked out when I mentioned "jokingly" that the front yard had so much sun I think I will put a greenhouse there. I know,limiting myself to 10 trees might not happen.
    Sounds like your day had a lot of challenges. Isn't it strange how when one thing goes wrong it goes downhill. And Mike your poor tree I can imagine how you felt.
    . We decided to try and get out of the disaster mode. Went out last night to play cards with friends and today went to the country to get fresh fruit and vegs and the dogs enjoyed the outing,especially when we had ice cream.
    Brian our trees will be on their way soon. Can't wait. I need to get my other trees replanted before they arrive. Well enough for now. Maggy

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Brian Mike. I have a chance to buy this greenhouse from a guy for $400. It comes with an insulated floor and he will move it for me so I won't have to assemble it. I am going to look at it. What do you think? I am pretty excited about it and my husband even agreed to buy it for my birthday. I think he doesn't want the trees in the house Lol! Since I know nothing about greenhouses I though I would ask for your opinion. Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Maggy that looks perfect . From what I see it looks like a 6x8 . Same size as mine . Maggy what is a insulated floor very curious , I would buy one for mine . Not a bad price see if you could talk him down a little more . Looks like there is no rust. How old is it ? Even at $400 I would probably buy it just for the fact I would not have to assemble it . That's the way to go Maggy it's a nice greenhouse and you do not have to assemlble it , another big plus . Now the only thing you have to worry about like I do is a power failure on a real cold day . With a greenhouse you will see the trees will become Hugh . Glad you had a nice day yesterday . You have to get out of the house once and awhile and have a little fun. My dog loves the car to. Pretty soon you will not have to go out for fruits. I am off this week and we are supposed to have rain on and off until Wednesday , icky . New plants coming in a few days excited . They were supposed to be shipped out this morning . Ya Hooo . Talk to you latter , have a nice day .

Brian

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Maggy you would think at my age I would know how to spell huge . Maggy I forgot to mention with a greenhouse you will not need lighting , you will need a fan for circulation and a 1500 W heater . You will save on the heating , it will cost you less to heat a 6x8 GH than a 10 x 20 3 season sun room in the shade . It will save you money in the long run. Not to mention all those creepy crawlers , my dog loves chasing after those .

Talk to you later

Brian

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Brian.. It is 6x8 . He bought it last year and just used it for the winter. Says he retired and wants to travel so doesn't need it. Now he says he built the floor,plywood covered in something. I am going to see it at 1 o' clock so I will find out. Getting it in my backyard might be a challenge as I have a wooden fence with a 4 ft. Wide gate.. Maybe I could put it in the front yard haaaaaaaa. Thanks for answering . I understand I need a heater and I have a fan. I didn't think I needed a light and how many hours does it need to be on.. I thought I just needed the sun. LOL! So much to learn. What kind of light ? How do you plug all those things. I guess a power bar would work and I have an outdoor plug by the pond. Do you keep your plants in there all winter? I have so many questions. Oh! If my trees could look half as good as yours or Mikes and Steve has some nice ones with his setup.so I have gone from ideas of growing in the living room,to an unheated sunroom to a greenhouse. Goodness! Never thought I would be considering this. Yes our trees should be on their way. If I get the greenhouse I think I won't be getting more trees this year. Unless I buy them and just hide then in the greenhouse. Maggy

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Maggy..Just so you understand citrus trees and how they react in winter will help you decide what to do,,

They don't require FULL all day sun in order to just survive, hold back from growing, drop leaves, or die..

They do require lots of sunliht and supllimental if puhing groth for the winter..Bugs are a persistent issue this way..Will also require fertilizer..

If you would like them to barely grow, stay green, have no pest issues,and just hold on to the fruit intil growing season starts up again, and they will hold on to their fruit, keep at cooler temps, mostly below 60 and they will do just fine.. A fan blowing towards the the leaves..

At just room temps, normal temps as you said you would probably have, all you will need is good light and all those widows are fine enough...

The Greenhouse needs no supplimental lights and the sun will do just fine...Just heat and fans will do wonders..

I do not fertilize all winter and I do use Foliage Pro..

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Maggy you are going to love the GH . You can grow your tender vegetables like tomatoes and green peppers that need lots of heat in there in the summer and you will not have any blemishes on them . Maggy all you need is a heater one with a thermostat that will shut off at the temperature you set it at . Handy for when the sun does shine's , the heater will most likely shut off when the sun's on the GH . You will need a good quality high Guage extension cord one that will at least take 1600 watts because you have the heater and fan , and a good quality power bar. You will need to water , do you have a retractable hose you could use from inside your house to the GH? You can buy an adapter to hook up to any faucet in your house . Just dont get those guys who wore working on your basement to set that up . You might also need a blow torch to melt the ice that forms around the door track .That's a beautiful greenhouse you should show it off in the front yard .

Brian

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Maggy

1) It will probably cost less to heat your 10 ft by 20 foot sun-room than the greenhouse.

2) Inexpensive heating pads can be used to keep the pots warm (70F )

3) using lights to heat the room will provide all the light for growth and health.

4) Ceiling fan on low will provide all the air movement needed.

5) You and your spouse can throw out your sleeping pads and bags in the room among the citrus flowers and pretend you are on a get-away-excursion after a hard week of work.

6) You will be amazed at how much heat to bodies can put out over night.

7) Don't forget about the carbon-di-oxide you'll give the plants.

8) imagine the Smores you can make over an electric burner, NO MOSQUITOES.

9) Micro greens, fresh peppers, cherry tomatoes, eggplant, basil, arugula, spinach, broccoli, snap beans, and all the veggi starts to make you the envy of the neiborhood when yo pick your first bigboy tomato in early June.

1. After all this your husband will not question your gardening needs

Steve

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Steve,Brian and Mike for your encouragement and advise. I appreciate it very much and I have the greatest respect for your wisdom.
    Steve ,I am beginning to think you have a vivid imagination like Brian's . Your comments about what I could do in my growing room are hilarious. Probably would be fun and maybe my husband would be happy about my citrus obsession.
    Mike,I understand that you use your greenhouse to keep your plants at a low temperature in winter and they do not actively grow during this time. Brian do you do the same as Mike or do you keep yours actively growing. So you don't fertilize at all in the winter?
    I went to see the greenhouse and the pictures did not do it justice. It is beautiful. I imagine my self in there in the middle of the winter,in a lawn chair drinking a margarita amongst my citrus trees. Oh! My! I saw a greenhouse exactly like it last week at Lowe's for $899 ( picture included) and that didn't
    include taxes ,the insulated platform or setting it up.
    My luck has changed. Last week felt like we were doomed.now I am so fortunate. Of course I bought it and it is being set up on Sat. Morning at 8am.
    Brian ,he built a plywood platform,put insulation on the bottom and covered it with some kind of tape. What a lovely couple. They bought this greenhouse last year and you should see the tomato's .I swear they are 10 feet tall,covered in ripe tomato's .they had never gardened before. The flowers they grew are amazing. I am just so excited. Now I just have to figure out whether to keep my trees active or dormant .It will be a new experience and I hope I don't bug you all too much for advise too often. I promise I will get it right eventually. I can hardly contain my excitement. He also had a light ,metal halide I think with bulb,reflector and ballast but wants $300 for it. I didn't buy it but if I need something I am sure there are cheaper options. My backyard has some sun,hope it is enough. A lot of the trees will have shed their leaves so it will be less sheltered. I still have the sunroom if I fill the greenhouse with trees LOL , so much for a limit of 10 trees. Sorry for my ranting. Someday I will be showing you my beautiful trees filled with fruit.
    Maggy

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Maggy..I saw this greenhouse and I just about fell off my chair!! Yahoo..You will love having that, trust me..All you have to do is keep it abover freezing and you are GOLDEN...That's so cool..I didn't have time to read everything else here at work, but I will be back...

Mines look almost like that..They are VERY durable and wil withstand your winters for sure...Mine is 3 years old and still looks like new..

Listen, make sure you get yourself a good fan, preferrably black, a good couple of spacde heaters, a an auot vent opener, hook to hand things up on, and a few shelves. That company should provide that all..

While it you are at it..Look at pool supply companies and keep your eyes open for sales...You will need a Solar Pool Cover, a thick see through one, it looks like bubble wrap that will save you heat and tons of money come winter...It will insulate that house more than you know..For me, the best investment I ever made .

Just awesome..

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 16:16

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Maggy I am so excited for you WoW . Your fortune has changed . All the bad stuff is behind , ok maybe just a little bit . There is only one way up and your off to a great start . You will get lots of fruit and you will actually be able to eat them and they will taste better than anything you can buy at the supermarket . Wait till you try those limes in your margarita's simply amazing .

Maggy I greenhouse grow my citrus the exact same way Mike does , by the way Hi Mike . I set my thermostat at 55 degrees , I am lucky to hit 45 degrees if it is cloudy and cold like last winter . I sometimes have to fertilize a bit at the end of February if my trees start blooming . That only happens if the winter is exceptionally sunny and it does happen. Maggy just like when the trees are outside you will have to make a watering schedule . I water on every second Sunday and I am not joking when I say I need a blow torch to get in the greenhouse . My doors are facing east the wrong way , I would suggest you face your entrance facing south so your door doesnt freeze up .

Congradulations Maggy your playing with the big boys now. Your going to love your new greenhouse as much as we do.

Maggy at my age all I have left is my imagination lol.

Brian

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Brian, just heard from Mike. You guys are awesome. I can hardly contain my excitement. It is so nice to share it with people who are so enthusiastic and understand the joy we get . I agree about the imagination . That is one thing about being "more mature" we developed an appreciation for the humour we can depict in every day life. Sweet!
    I have 38 limes on my tree,two oranges and maybe 20 lemons. Babies but still. I realize some of them will drop.
    So I am up there with the big boys. Yahooooooo! This is going to be quite an adventure.so much I don't know but exciting to learn new things.
    We just got a weather warning,thunder storms,high winds,maybe hail. I just brought my trees inside. Maybe not necessary but not taking any chances. Both my dogs are here and Teddy in on my lap shaking like a leaf. No pun intended.
    Usually our winters are much milder than your' or Mike's I think both your climates are similar to what I was used to in Halifax. Windsor is the most southern point in Canada ( Point Peele) with the exception of this past year.
    That should be an advantage. Most winters we barely have snow and if we do it disappears quickly. Brian do you use lights in your greenhouse? Mike said he does not.
    I really don't like the soil my three trees are in. It is wet and heavy. I have to get them out of there soon. I am so fortunate to have the advantage of your experiences and helps me avoid some mistakes. I am sure I will make some.
    Maggy

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

I find all this very interesting. I have chosen a path to deal with winter totally different from everyone else but Tcamp30144. She to appears to be doing the light bucket system. I hope thing go well for both methods of growing.

Steve

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Steve . It is interesting . I can see you are having great success . So it seems there is success with both methods. It is a dilemma .I do appreciate your advise and I hope you do not feel that I took it lightly. I have decided for now to try the cooler temperature and see what happens. I will be looking forward to hearing how your plants are doing and respect your views and input. Thanks and always like hearing from you. Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Maggy it is so nice to help you . You are an extremely nice person and so is Mike . It is very hard to find today nice persons like yourselfs . This has truly been a pleasure for me . Anytime we can help we will be there either in words or pictures . Mike and I will get you through this, don't worry .

Maggy I do not use a light . There is much more light in the GH even on a cloudy day then is inside the house. The only problem that might arise is that your trees are going to become so large that they will start to block out the light to your smaller trees . That's not for a couple of years. Your fruit should not fall off when you bring your trees in the GH. A GH is the next best thing to having the trees outside.

Oh Maggy bragging about how beautiful your winters are compared to ours , well your right , I think we are the coldest capital city or second coldest in the world, how nice is that

Brian

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Brian. I am cooking my husband a prime rib dinner. How is that for appreciation. I have to keep him happy. Thank you so much for your kind words. You and Mike are so kind as are others on here .i will try not to be a pest but will call on you and Mike for advise.this is such a great forum and I am so glad I joined here. I know sometimes in life we meet people who are narsicistic and self serving but I have" weeded my garden" of these people. Life is too short for that and it is nice to meet genuine people who care. Your the best. Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Oh Maggy how we think alike through their stomachs . We are conniving .How did you know our favorite food is prime rib .Our flight will arrive in a hour . Thank you also for your kind words , we will be there for you . I hope everybody there made it through the storms , calling for big ones tomorrow . Have a nice night.

Brian

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Brian, thank you so much. I appreciate all your help.You are too late for dinner. The prime rib was delicious. So tender. My husband loves it too maybe a little conniving! .I often buy it on sale and have it in the freezer. I can see why you both like it.
    My husband is afraid I will spend all my time in the greenhouse .i have another hobby as well. I am a hooker. A rug hooker that is. I belong to a group that meets every two weeks and we make rugs from wool ,like the Acadians used to make. I dye my own wool,cut it and hook with it. Very relaxing. Perhaps I can do it in my greenhouse. Retirement is wonderful. So much freedom to express one's self without worrying what anyone thinks.
    Have a great night Brian .Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Good morning Maggy a beautiful warm morning here, they are still calling for some pretty nasty thunderstorms late this afternoon.

Maggy I can't believe what I am reading your a HOOKER ? I knew it would take just a little time for your big secret to come out . It is amazing how accepting people are now . Your still A OK with me . :) Funny stuff Maggy .

It is going to be a really good week for you Maggy , a new greenhouse and some new trees to go with it. Very exciting.

Prime rib is without a doubt my most favorite . I also pick it up when it is on sale , that's the only way I can afford it . I have one in the freezer I might just have to cook it this week .

My trees that are in the pro mix are really catching on now . My tango is really starting to go through a major growth flush and the same with my minneola , really nice to see . I don't think I ever ever seen all my trees so green and healthy looking . Must be all the humid weather we are having. Well back to the garden to stare at my trees , I love it .

Have a great morning

Brian

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Brian, Slept in with the pups today. Must be the dark and dreary weather or I exhausted myself by being so excited about my greenhouse. My husband seems pleased about it but I suspect it is because the trees will not be in the house. I do think it will be a big advantage for the trees though.. Well Brian I am pleased you still except me in spite of my other hobby. Haaaaaa. It is good to have a laugh.
    Our trees should be here tomorrow maybe. They will be baby trees that we can watch grow. I think Dave said they didn't have a lot of leaves yet. I know what you mean about staring at your trees. I do that all the time. Isn't it great.
    Does you greenhouse get a lot of sun ? I have huge trees in my back yard but a lot of them shed their leaves in the fall.i hope I have enough light.
    It is raining so hard here now and humid. I brought all my plants in yesterday and the storm didn't come. What you bet I leave them out today and we will have a major storm. Perhaps they will like it. Teddy is already scared and shaking. Hope you are enjoying your vacation. Have a great day. Maggy

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Maggy..You have nothing to opologize to at Steve..

If anything, he should opologize for all the times we commend him, and then hardly ever taking the time to acknowledge that..To busy trying to prove his style or methods instead of learning from others. It's k, he is a nice prson despite and very genuine....I'm sure he has not taken offense...

Maggy, why are you bringing your trees in? Because of wind? The rain, well that's another story..It's the best thing you can expose your trees too...

Your greenhouse will get plenty sunlight in there year round, unless of course it is surrounded my pine trees, ever greens...If maple and the like, the sun will find a way to sit in there, especially when the trees go bare..
    Much more light than inside for sure...You are so lucky to get a greenhouse...

Brian, new trees? Yahoo. right? lol
    I can't wait to see what you got...Please share when you do....

By the way, feelings the same about you two..I am glad to have met you and a few other very close friends here...

IMIke

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mike, I just wanted to let Steve know I appreciate that he took time to share his methods but that I am more comfortable with the cooler temperature method. Perhaps I could have been more forthcoming in saying so. Thank you for comments .
    I didn't bring my trees in because of rain or wind but we got a weather alert saying we might get hail. I thought surely that will not be good for my trees. Perhaps I am a bit over protective and I don't want to kill them with kindness,
    I think the ones in the nursery mix are not drying out and when Friday comes,my feeding day ,they are still wet. Just haven't gotten around to repotting them yet. It won't be a issue with the 5-1-1
    I do have pine trees and evergreen in my back yard but lots of maple and others that shed their leaves. So hoping I will get enough light.
    Do you use a 1500 w heater with a timer on it? I was wondering if I will be able to plug a heater and fan into my outside outlet with out shorting it out. If I need a light as well that might be a problem. Getting the greenhouse will be wonderful.
    There are very nice people here and I am thankful that you and Brian have been so kind and generous in helping me and sharing. Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi Maggy its raining cats , dogs , frogs, and pollywogs it's really coming down . The pup and I are hiding down in the basement again . I started writing you earlier this afternoon and then I Accidentaly hit a button and lost everything , then I fell a sleep sitting up on the couch . I just love being on holidays . Maggy they are saying were going to have the polar vortex thing again remember last winter. Next week they are calling for 48 at night and the mid sixties in the day . Great our trees are going to go into hibernation .

Maggy before you bring your trees in for the winter you should put up some bubble wrap on the inside walls and the inside roof , that will give you a little insulation . My greenhouse gets about 5 hrs of sun in the winter , my neighbors house blocks out the morning sun . Yours sounds like it will be in a sweet spot in your backyard getting lots of sun in the winter, trees will be no problem after they loose their leaves .

Here's hoping for some nice looking trees tomorrow maybe , they did say 3 to 5 work days . Maybe with this cold weather coming I might just place it into the greenhouse until it warms up.

Keep me posted on your new trees

Hi Mike I hope you are doing fine . I hope you guys don't get this polar vortex thing like we will be getting mid next week . I am very excited about the new tree , I am pacing back and forth waiting for the stork to deliver my new baby .

Have a nice night Maggy and Mike.

Brian

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Brian, we had that kind of rain this morning.every time I got ready to go out it poured. Eventually it stopped and I managed to do some shopping.then it got real humid. If we get the polar vertex then it will not make our trees happy.
    Are you saying you put bubble wrap all over the inside. Won't that block out the sun? I probably won't get more sun than you. I get the morning sun in the front and I have lots of 50 yr old fur,pine,spruce but also lots of trees that lose their leaves. However my herbs,tomato's garlic rhubarb do well back there and I notice morning sun as well as afternoon.
    Hope our trees arrive tomorrow but I think it might be Thru. Or Fri. I am anxious too. I think tomorrow I will repot my Meyer and lime , I find the soil holding too much water and don't like it. I only have enough 5-1-1 mix to plant two. Need to get more repti- bark. At $ 25 a bag I buy a bit at a time. Can't find any small bark . Maybe when I am in Toronto.
    Yes it is nice being on holidays. I am retired but remember how much I enjoyed being away from my work. Let's you regroup.
    Enjoy your evening. You too Mike. Maggy.

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi Maggy. The bubble wrap does not make any difference with the amount of light that will go in your GH . I think just about everybody here on the forum that has a greenhouse lines it with bubble wrap . I believe Mike bubble wraps his . Well worth it Maggy it will save your costs on electricity . With all the money you save you will be able either to buy more trees or prime ribs . It's pretty bad when a prime rib roast costs more than a citrus tree. You really made the right decision by going greenhouse your going to love it.

Have a nice night Maggy . One more storm to go through then bed.

Brian

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Brian Bubble wrap wow! Interesting. Makes sense . So you know I will have a ton of questions now. Do you buy rolls of bubble wrap in any specific place ,like a packing company etc? In my search I see it comes in different thickness. Does that matter .I assume you tape it somehow to the walls. Do you put it on the ceiling as well? Do you wrap your pots in it during the winter.? Please excuse my lack of knowledge here.
    So I need a heavy duty power cord,heavy duty power bar, fan and heater.
    Is there a specific heater I should get that I can set at a certain temperature and will a pedestal fan work.? Home Hardware has one on sale with several settings . Do I need timers? So sorry Brian, How do you get humidity in your greenhouse? Watering might be an issue. I like the idea of the coil hose but my kitchen has a tap with a sprayer on it I couldn't attach it. So many challenges but I am sure they will all be resolved. Lots to think about but you and Mike have discovered what works and I have such an advantage from your experience. Can't wait for my greenhouse to get here so I can play some more and dream about my trees all happy in there.
    It was sunny early this morning but looking cloudy now. I am going to repot some of my trees today. So are you anticipating receiving your new tree today? I bet you are excited. I am thinking mine may not arrive until tomorrow or Friday . Winnipeg is a long way and if I expect it today I am afraid I will be disappointed.
    You are right about the price of prime rib.I always wait until it is on sale and buy two or three for the freezer.
    Have a great day and let me know if you get your tree. Thank you for all the advise.Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hello Maggy , cold day here 64 degrees and the wind is howling . Mike mentioned on another post maybe this one about how he almost put sweaters on his trees well I was seriously thinking about that this morning. I was at 2 garden centers this morning and they both had citrus and I walked out of there empty handed , pretty amazing . Well I did buy some potting soil Fofard urban mix , I am not sure if I picked the right one .

Maggy you can buy bubble wrap at a moving supply company . I bought the least thickest but should have bought a slightly thicker wrap . You also need wrap Maggy because your leaves are going to touch the walls and eventually the ceiling and you want to protect them from getting their leaves freezer burnt . Some of my trees leaves burnt because I think the bubble wrap wasn't thick enough . We bought our heater at Costco , they sell the same one every fall . I can't remember the name brand I will find out for you, it is buried at the back of the shed . This heater pivots and has a thermostat so you will not need a timer . It will keep the temperature a what ever your desired temperature is . Watering is always a challenge thank goodness I only do that once every two weeks. I have a portable roll up hose that rolls up inside a case . You will see Maggy that your door might freeze up , never fun. You might want to tape a plastic sheet over the door on the outside to prevent any drafts from getting in there and to stop your door from freezing up.
    . I mention about the door freezing up because you mentioned about humidity . It's is the humidity that helps freeze up the door and snow and rain that falls freezes inside the track of the door . You will have to keep that track clean . If it snows remove the snow from the track . If it rains take some paper towel and remove the water before it freezes . The more trees and plants you have in the greenhouse the more humidity you will have in there . By the sounds of things Maggy you will have it like a tropical rainforest like mine soon . My fan has two fans an upper and a lower fan they are stacked . I bought it many years ago at Rona .

No trees yet :-(

Have a great afternoon Maggy . Don't let all this stuff scare you . If I can do it anybody can , it's just another routine you will adapt to .

Brian

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Brian,
    I am a little overwhelmed. But as you say it will become routine eventually. I searched on line and the widest bubble wrap I could find was 24' but I think it comes wider than that. I watched a couple of U Tube video's re putting bubble wrap inside the greenhouse but they didn't explain how to fasten it. I am sure I will figure it out. If you could find out the name of the heater from Costco I will check it out before winter.
    I have enclosed a picture of blossoms on my Washington orange. I must be doing something right. I do notice the new growth on my Meyer lemon is curling. It is not dry and no sign of critters. I think it is the soil.
    Brian,I can't believe you are walking away from garden centre's empty handed. Good for you. No sign of my trees yet either. Getting anxious for them to arrive .
    I am going to make a rhubarb cake as I picked fresh rhubarb last night. Then spaghetti sauce from my fresh tomato's I canned last year with fresh basil from my garden and freshly grated Parmesan .And homemade Italian bread . Oh and a nice bottle of Pinot noir from the Niagara region.
    I have one more question that I have been thinking about. It may sound like a ridiculous question but is there a safety issue with having an electrical heater and fan in the greenhouse when you are watering the plants. I am sorry Brian if I seem anxious about all these things and thank you for reassuring me that I can handle it all. Hope I am not driving you crazy.
    Nothing happening in our basement. They are coming tomorrow morning with the insurance adjuster to look at it. I miss our family room as it is full of storage right now.
    Take care Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Maggy I noticed your one more question wasn't what time can you make it over for supper . That sounds so delicious .Barbecue hamburgers for us tonight I will save the prime rib that is in the freezer for when I order another citrus tree . Your husband is going to wonder what is it this time . Maggy I think all bubble wrap comes 2ft wide , it is the quality or thickness you want to look for . I guess what we bought wasn't the best of quality . You will know when you go to buy some , test them squeeze the bubbles you will feel the difference in quality .

When watering Maggy keep the water away from the heater and the fan . I do not have a power bar in my GH . I have been growing in th GH for 10 yrs now and never had a problem . I always rest my cords on top of the pots not on the floor because your floor will become quit wet. Just remember to lift the cord when you are going to water the pot your cords are resting on . Maybe someone else (Mike) could hop in to this conversation about safety because I am curious to . You can't water when you are tired you don't want to Accidentaly water your heater you have to remember where it is at all times .

Maggy what a beautiful picture . You do know what you are doing. That flower must smell amazing . I don't know if it is the flowers or the fruit that give me the most pleasure , they both are pretty equal. Maggy my navel
    orange flowers are very white could this be from one of your lemons trees ?

Brian

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Brian, How rude of me.of course you and your wife can come for dinner. We will be eating around 8. In the meantime I am enjoying a glass of wine.
    You are right of course about the blossoms. This morning I moved my plants around and forgot. It was the Meyer lemon. The orange is also in bloom and the lime has two fruit and no new blossoms. But that is a young tree, about a year old .but those blooms smell heavenly.
    I found a place in Toronto that sells bubble wrap 1/2'' x 48'' x 250â - $38.99 . It is big bubbles. Would that be too thick ? My husband thinks 48" would be too difficult install,due to the size. Could you just tell me how you anchor it. Do you use tape? The more I read online the more confused I get . There are always so many views and opinions that I decided to stop reading. My husband also thinks we should put in a power source outside just for the greenhouse. That would be helpful. I don't know how much the plug out there already would support as it was there when we bought the house and it is used only for the pond pump.
    Hope your weather warms up. We were 76 today ANC tonight will be 56 . A bit cool but no rain.
    No trees arrived today. Sigh! Maybe tomorrow.
    Enjoy your hamburgers . I think that is what we will have tomorrow night.
    Take care. Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Thanks Maggy I should have taken you up on the offer . My hamburgers were so dry we could have used them to play street hockey . At least the rum and Pepsi with a nice slice of lime turned out well. Maggy I think the 4 ft bubble wrap should work out well because I think the side panel and roof panels are 4 ft wide . We have the 2 ft wide bubble wrap and we have to place two strips side by side . That will eliminate alot of taping . I tape the wrap every year because the heat from the summer makes the tape not stick and it all comes down except for the sides . We drilled a hole through the metal at the bottom of the greenhouse and ran the extension through that . Is there not something you can rent that you plug into the outlet and it will measure the current running through your outlet ?
    You know Maggy you might not even need the wrap because you guys are alot warmer than we are . Try it without for a year . I would still put plastic over your door .

Have a fantastic night

Brian

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Brian, sorry to hear about your hamburgers. I have an excellent recipe that turns out moist every time. I just slap them together,throw them in the fridge and take out about an hour before grilling on BBQ. So simple and delicious. I can give you the recipe if you want.
    Maybe the trees will come today. Wouldn't that be exciting? It is a beautiful sunny morning and I have already been outside playing with my trees and getting bitten by the misquotes .
    You might be right about the bubble wrap,I may not need it . Usually our winters are mild. The man that I brought the greenhouse from didn't use any insulation but then he ran hot forced air from his heated garage directly into the greenhouse. I still have lots of time to decide..
    We have someone coming to do some work for us. He wired our kitchen when we redid it so I will ask him about the power outlet. He will know and if it isn't adequate I will get him to install a new one on the outside of the house.
    Are you enjoying your vacation? Can't believe you have resisted buying new trees. I still haven't repotted mine . Hope to get it done soon.
    I don't have any questions today. LOL! Have a great day. Hi to Mike. Maggy

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Hello guys anad gals..I hope you are all right! I have no time to read but toi quickly help..
    I'll be back later to catch up but I wanted to let you know what cover I use...Inexpensive! The best investment you will make...Hope this helps...)

Get get the right size to slip over yor green house so that all side meet the ground and the bungie cord them on...Easy

MIke

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 12:57

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Mike, Hope all is well with you. Thanks so much for the info re the solar cover. Sounds like a great idea. I know you are busy but when you get time,I had a couple of questions. I assume you put it on the outside right? How do you fasten it? I think that might be an option .Best wishes Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hello Maggy and Mike . What an outrageously gorgeous day we have going on . One of those days we thank God we are alive and healthy .

Maggy my hamburgers normally turn out pretty good but we had unexpected visitors drop in just as I was barbecuing and I left them for a few minutes unattended and voilÃÂ hockey pucks . Maggy I hear people are mixing ground pork with their hamburger meat to make them more juicy , I wonder if this works .
    Having my parents for supper tomorrow night , out comes the prime rib for dinner tomorrow . Maggy I took the dog for his walk around 9.00 am and when we got back I went straight into the garden . I just came inside and it is 2.30 , lots of fresh air I Love it . Trees are starting to grow like weeds , I have some major trimming to do to get them back in the greenhouse this fall . I hate doing that but it has to be done , you will see yourself one day .

Maggy still no tree here , double :-( :-( . I sure hope the come tomorrow .

Mike you have my curiosity up and I am sure Maggy's .Is it a clear plastic sheet you place over it then secure it with bungies ? Do you use bubble wrap ? I hope Mike you are having the weather we are having right now . It is so nice to open all the windows and let that beautiful air in . Boy O Boy does fresh air give you an appetite . Hope everything is is going well for you and your Frogs and not to forget your trees

Brian

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

I tell you what really taste good is a mix 2 parts chicken or turkey grounded for patties and mix with 1 part raccoon ground. Normally the raccoon is to strong and gammy to use pure. But ohhhhh what a treat it is with the 2 meats mix and add chopped onions and barbecue sauce.

Meanwhile some thing keeps digging up the Poncirus I have planted next to my meiwa for bend grafting porpoises.

Steve

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Brian, all this talk of food is killing me...I'll tell you another friend here who has a taste for good food, Josh!

Man, I have yet to cook on a grill...I have never even cooked a hot dog..I wouldn't even know how high to put the fire for that one..What I would love to do is have someone teach me how to make a great tender steak, juicy and tastful..

Oh yeah, citrus...

Yes, that is one huge piece that you drape over the whole house..Then I use the Bungee Cords you get at Home Depot..I think they come 6 to a pak and they are about 3 feet long so they stretch pretty well.
    Once the plastic is over the greenhouse, I secure the bungee cord hook on the bottom of the greenhouse where it will grab, under the frame and then connect a couple to each other so they can be pulled over to the bottom of the other side where I hook it again on the bottom frame.
    I do this twice near the fron and rear..
    Then I use enough cords to wrap from the back to meet the front and then hook again.
    This keeps the plastic on securely.

To get in all I do is unsecure the hooked bungess at the front and then lift the plastic to get in..Works like a charm!

Maggy..All you have to do is call the company and ask them what size you will need that will cover your greenhouse completly on all sides...Give them the size of your greenhouse..You might need a hand putting in over the house and removing it, but I do it by myself..It can be a challenge. I find myself laughing at myself when doing it..I seem to end up underneath it trying to find my way out..lol

What's ythis I hear about the Polar Vortex? I knew it. And I knew it would happen on my vacation...
    I am a humid warm thunder stormy type of guy and the cool dry weather makes me just depressed..Above all times to hit, on my vacation in a convertable mustang..I hope it's not that chilly to ride to Vermont and New Newhampshire or for the beach..(
    We had a huge storm last night which woke me up and I am so glad it poured..My trees were doing the chicken dance this morning...They love the storms.

Hope all is well and you are all prepared for what will be a short lived summer at this rate. Take it while you can. I keep telling people by August we are going to get much unusual cold weather at night and no one believes me..We shall see..I see frost before the end of that month..

MIke

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mike, come on over and we will cook you a tender strip loin steak that will melt in your mouth and at the same time teach you . It is so easy.
    Brian I have never mixed pork with hamburger. I take a slice of bread and make it into crumbs and add 3 tablespoons milk ,let it sit a few minutes and throw it in the beef with an egg.chopped onions ,dash Worcestershire , salt,pepper and a bit of catsup ,mix and voila! You would never know the bread is there and they are moist and juicy every time. My favourite way to make hamburgers. Sounds like you enjoyed your time outside . It is so refreshing and relaxing. Sometimes we get so busy with life we forget the simple pleasures and the joy they bring.
    Now citrus. Mike May I get some clarification please ? Do you run the bungee cord from the
    Side across the roof to the other side and then one from front to back across the roof. The roof is pointed so I am unclear about the front to back part and am thinking it would slide off. If I can figure this out it seems like it would be the solution.
    I checked the link where you got yours but it seems they will not ship to Canada. So far I have been unable to find it in Canada. But I might find something similar.
    I do hope we do not have a " short lived summer" and I couldn't stand another winter like last year. I can always go live in my greenhouse I guess.
    Mike are you going on vacation. ? Who will care for your trees? Hope you have a great time. Vermont and New Hampshire are so beautiful.
    Brian hope our trees arrive tomorrow. It is difficult to wait .Have a great night.
    Both you and Mike. Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hello Mike , I am so jealous your going to be on holidays next week, mine are finished this weekend after 2 weeks it's never long enough dreading Monday . Maggy thinks she cooks the best prime rib but truth be said I do . Maggy cooks the best hamburgers . Maggy that recipe sounds pretty sweet . Mine are similar with the egg , bread crumbs , ketchup , onions and that's it . I will definitely try it your way next time. Steve can you substitute hog jowls for raccoon ? Hope everything is going well Steve . Funny stuff Steve .

Mike my friend have a great vacation , beautiful country , Vermont and New Hampshire . I heard there is a hotel somewhere in New Hampshire that is very haunted , I would love to spend one night there . Maggy is right Mike about the care of your plants when your on holidays, you must have a lot of trust in someone , you are so lucky you have someone you can trust with your plants . Your idea sounds very interesting and probably much easier than hanging bubble wrap . I don't know if I will be able to do it , we placed the GH 2 inches from the fence and we screwed tightly the GH to wooden beams . I really hope it is hot for you but I think your right Mike that we are in for an early frost and early fall . It's very funny all the meteorologist are saying we are in for a warmer than usual fall, here's to hoping. Don't forget to wear your sunscreen and have a great holiday .

Maggy no plant I am so sad hopefully tomorrow

Everybody have a nice night.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

20 years ago I planted a 10 by 10 patch of corn. I harvest 1 Kg of corn and 48 Kg of raccoon. I did a lot of experimenting on how to best prepare a raccoon. They are rough animal. I finally rested on the 2/3 1/3 chicken to coon formula. Chicken is so flavorless and raccoon is to strong. The final conclusion was I was to grow trees and then kumquats. The kumquats are useless but the Meyer lemons, Tangerine and poncirus grow very well. Only the Meyer lemon is of mature wood and capable of fruiting. Hopefully it will fruit soon. I hope things go well for you.

If the bubble wrap is lined on the inside it will offer much more insulating value as it will not blow around in the wind. I am hoping your green house glazing is a rigid form. They insulate much better if the wind does'nt move the surface like plastic sheets..

Steve

• tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
    9 years ago

I will use this this winter for my trees
    Trace

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Good morning Maggy another fantastic day here. I am going to cry buckets next Monday . I am truly going to miss my garden . I am so used to watering and searching for bugs in my trees , believe it or not I find this so relaxing . I am sure my trees will be happy I am going back , I think they are getting tired of me washing them everyday . Oh well not that many years to retirement and I do have a week's holiday left in August . I can smell the prime rib now hardly wait . Hopefully plants will come in today . Have a fantastic day in the sun Maggy. Oh there was a bird trying to make a nest in my Valencia tree , bad enough bugs now birds . Then there was a big branch broken on my Page , I guess some 4 legged visitors at night .

Steve funny story . Yes the bubble wrap is placed on the inside of the GH , taped up with packing tape . The only problem in the winter is it gets very humid in the GH and the bubble wrap starts to come down from the ceiling not the sides . Trying to retape is almost impossible because the ceiling becomes very wet , a real pain .

Tcamp very nice GH your trees will love you for it . You will not loose any more fruit they don't drop their fruit when you bring them in a GH . Now your going to start enjoying winter a little more .

Maggy as I am writing this just received a text tree came in . We had it delivered to a friends work because we were not sure if we were going to be home . SO EXCITED . Yours will be coming to .

Brian

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Maggy I have just seen a texted picture of my new baby . Looks fantastic , almost as beautiful if not as beautiful as the trees we bought at Home Depot very nice .

You will be very happy .

Brian

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Brian . My trees just arrived also. They are so cute. Here they are. I watered them and put them in the shade. Not sure if I should repot them right away or wait until they recover from the shock of travelling. It is exciting for sure . It looks like they were grafted only 3 months ago and look delicate. Dave did a good job of packing them . My new little babies. So sweet!
    I can understand your not wanting to return to work . I remember that same feeling and my husband still works and he feels the same as you. He hates to go back to work after vacation and on Mondays. Retirement is great,but you wonder how you used to find time to do everything.
    It is a gorgeous day here as well. My trees have been fed this morning bad pampered.
    Now do you really think your prime rib is better than mine. I think not! LOL,! You know those are pretty strong words Brian. You enjoy your dinner tonight with your family. Sounds like fun. We are having BBQ hamburgers tonight and will sit on the patio and enjoy the evening. The milk with the fresh bread crumbs really make the hamburger moist. I thought it was odd at first but only do them that way now.
    Steve we have a problem in Windsor with raccoons invading backyards. The city has a program to relocate them. Maybe they relocate them to you. Haaaaaa.
    Trace. What a nice greenhouse. You must be as excited as I am to have one this winter. It looks like you are in a zone similar in climate to mine. Will you insulate with bubble wrap or solar blanket? I am having fruit drop from my lime. As Brian says the greenhouse will prevent that.
    Mike. How exciting for you to be going on vacation. I hope you have great weather and a great time. I imagine you have left your trees in good hands. Just have fun . You deserve it and I know you will savour every moment.
    Well I have to go and clean up the back yard and find a spot for my greenhouse which will arrive tomorrow morning at 8 am.. I will be playing out there all day tomorrow and imagining all the plants happy in there in the winter. Take care everyone. Warmest wishes Maggy

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Brian, I would like to see a picture of your "new baby" Maggy

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

They look really nice

Steve

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Very nice Maggy , those trees have found their way to a good home . Your kaffir is so cute and the Kishu is nice and full. My Kishu has 1 long branch looks like a couple of feet and lots of leaves . Yours is nice because it has a couple of branches . Great plants for a great price and remarkably healthy looking considering the long trip they just made . I would say we are going to have to celebrate with a few drinks tonight . I was joking about the prime rib just trying to get a rise from you , it worked lol. I think your doing the right thing by not repotting right away , let them settle down for a couple of days . Your poor husband is still working , he won't be able to afford to retire with all theses new trees your buying . Lol . It must be hard on him to know he's going to work and you will be playing in the garden under that beautiful sunshine . Your not retired either all that cooking and cleaning and now gardening , the pups you probably don't have to much time to just put your feet up and relax . I guess being retired is not that easy .

Enjoy your afternoon Maggy and enjoy your new arrivals .

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Steve and Brian. I am pleased with the trees . I have always gotten good plants from Dave. I thought it was a good price and they look good after the long trip. Yes a few drinks tonight are in order. I knew you were trying to get my going about the prime rib. You will enjoy it. I sometimes cook tenderloin but I think prime rib is better.
    My poor husband is still working .I am sure he must think about me home playing while he is working. I worked for more years than I want to say .In my past life I had a great career but retirement is the sweet reward. Life is much simpler and less stressful. I do a lot of cooking , gardening, spending time with the pups but I have to confess I have a cleaning lady every two weeks. It is something I hate so I gave myself the gift of a clean house and it is worth every penny. My philosophy is life us too short and I want to spend whatever time I have left enjoying time with those I love and the little pleasures of everyday. Life is good.Take care .Maggy