Return to the Citrus Forum

o
My first citrus in Al's 5-1-1 mix

Posted by maggyby zone 7a (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 15:24

Well I finally repotted the limquat in the 5-1-1. It is a year old tree and was in the small narrow pot in the picture. I carefully washed off the soil and soaked the roots for a few hours. I tried to make sure there is no air around the roots.
How long do I need to keep it in the shade and when can I start feeding with dyna grow ? Do I introduce it to the sun gradually? I used repti bark but it is expensive at $25 a bag and that will only do two pots. Bark fines or micro bark does not seem to be available here in Windsor,Ont.
This is a great forum and I appreciate any advise from others. I have 5 trees now and I want to learn how to take good care of them. Maggy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My first citrus in Al's 5-1-1 mix

Congratulations Maggy! That's a nice tree. I potted up 5 citrus trees today with 5-1-1 and was going to ask the same questions. Right now they are under the shade of a tree and will get maybe 3 hours full sun, the rest is shade. Some one on this site told me to put a stake against the side of the pot and tie a branch to it to help stabilize the tree while the root system gets stronger. That's my task for tomorrow.

Chris

o

Thank's Chris. So far so good. I was hoping someone here might be able to answer my questions about shade and watering. Although I am new to growing citrus I love growing them and this forum has been so helpful .Here are my Persian lime,dwarf Meyer lemon and Washington orange.Presently they are in the nursery mix of perlite and peat moss but I don't think they are draining well. I am reluctant to repot them in 5-1-1 as they seem to be doing well in spite of that.What do you think? Maggy

o

Maggy nice job of repotting trees look really nice to. I have never placed my trees in the shade after repotting, never never had a problem . I just repotted a bunch of trees , summers are just way to short in Ottawa . They will need all the sun they can get before i bring them in . Watering just drill alot of extra holes on the bottom of the pot if you are not going to repot .

Brian

o

Thanks once again Brian. Yes Ottawa can have a short growing season. Windsor ,although the most southern point in Canada seems to have all too short hours of sunshine as well. Once I bought my first citrus tree I am afraid I am " hooked" .Unfortunately they are not easy to find in this area. However the nursery where I bought them will be bring in more next year and I have already put in my order. My husband thinks I have enough but of course I can never have enough. When do you start feeding them after repotting? Have you had any problems overwintering them inside? Do you use grow lights? Sorry for all the questions .Great to find others who grow citrus in our climate.Best regards. Maggie

o

Hello)

Brian is right, I too never have an issue with mine when put right back in their usual spots....But that's because we bare root properly...
Personally I use to loose a few plants until I learned how to properly bare root wiuth this new mix..
Precaution is the term I like to use when suggesting the shade thing..It never hurts and it fact has saved a many trees when roots are disturbed like that.

If you don't feel comfortable with your process, placing them in the dabbled light for a week or two will be fine.

The same goes for fertilizing..I will usually tell many to hold off for a week or two but I still fertilize right away..Our mix allows us to do that without any harm at all.

Since you barerooted, it will take some time for the roots to fill the container, so if you make sure that the area where the roots postioned are kept stay moist until they fill the pot, they will be fine..

That means water more frequently, more than you would if you were waiting for the whole container to dry out.

You folks remember how far down your roots extend, right? That's important..

Beautiful trees to the both of you and great job...They will thrive in porous mixes like that..It just requires more diligence in the watering department, a worthy trade off as to mucky mixes..

Mike

o

Maggy I Love Windsor. My first 2 citrus trees came from there 12 Years ago . I bought a navel and a valencia orange tree from Colasanti . Do they still stock citrus trees?

Mike is right with the fertilizing I would wait a week .
Like Mike said keep it moist water a little more frequently for a couple of weeks .it's so hot now it will evaporate pretty fast so you don't have to worry about over watering. Always after repotting the first watering is the most important you really have to give it a good soaking .

I have a greenhouse to store them in the winter . I am not allowed to bring them in the house because of the mess they make . I have about 15 trees all beautiful. Some of them are extremely large , in September I cut a foot of the tops or they would not fit in the GH. That really pains me to do.

Are there varieties you are still looking for?

Your trees will do very well with all the heat and humidity you guys get in the summer.

Brian

o

Thank you for your advise Mike. I read all the posts here in an attempt to learn as much as possible. I see you have such a passion for growing citrus and I have the greatest respect for your knowledge and your generosity in sharing .
I did barefoot my trees and soaked them for a few hours. I will provide so e shade and will hold off fertilizing. They are being cared for like little babies.
I was a little reluctant about using the 5-1-1 mix but I love it. It is light weight and easy for me to move my pots. The two trees I planted yesterday seem happy so I think I will repot the other three soon. I really appreciate your expertise. Maggy

o

Brian, I would like to thank you also for sharing your experience and expertise as well. I am very appreciative . The enthusiasm from you and Mike is heart warming. Interesting that you bought your first trees in Windsor. Colissanti's doesn't have any citrus . I got three of my trees from Anna's in Kingsville but they won't be getting any more until next spring..
Wow! 15 trees and a greenhouse. That would be my dream. How lucky. I would love to see pictures of your trees. Do you have a favourite? I have 5 trees meyer lemon Persian lime,Washington orange,limquat but I think the variegated pink lemon is my favourite ( found this at Home Depot). I like the foilage,and the pink blossoms. I would lime to have a kaffir lime,a key lime and a calamondin .
Where do you buy your citrus in Ottawa? Or do you order. They are difficult to find in Ontario. Isn't it a great hobby? So much satisfaction taking care of them and watching them grow. Sorry for the lengthy message. Best wishes Maggy

o

Maggy, we are very gratful to meet people like you that have such a passion as we do..You will find this a very good forum for any questions you have..

Brian..I have ONE, count that, one citrus planted in my ground in the greenhouse and I have to lop the top right off every few weeks..It kills me ..lol. I hear ya.

Mike

o

Maggy your very welcome . I sure hope you become a regular member of the citrus forum. The folks on this forum are friendly , caring , and sometimes pretty funny .

There are a few places that sell citrus in the Ottawa area . Richmond nursery have a fairly large selection but most are not on rootstock. I believe they have Kaffir limes and key limes. Check out their website or give them a call they are a friendly bunch. Emery on the Gatineau side had a few citrus . They had a hamlin orange , I almost picked one up last weekend. Without a doubt Home Depot here had the best looking citrus I have seen and they have now carried them 2 years in a row. Maggy I would go on a Home Depot road trip. Hit every town and city there is a Home Depot , I am sure you will find what your looking for.

Here is a pic of my navel that I brought back from Windsor . Excuse the blur sun is so strong right now.

Brian

o

Maggy a picture of my valencia orange which also came from Windsor.

Mike we are in for a heat wave 90 degrees for at least 3 days in a row starting this weekend Ya Hooo!!!!

Brian

o

Hi Maggy,

Sorry for the delay, it's been a bit hectic. It looks like you got some great advice from everyone (I know I appreciate it too). These folks know far more about this stuff than I do. There is one thing that I did think about when you mentioned your other trees in the nursery mix. I would go ahead and put them in the 5-1-1 mix if for no other reason to make the roots happier. The 7 citrus trees I have were all either severely root bound or had some high degree of root rot going on and they all were in the nursery mix. I would have never know that unless I re potted them.

Chris

o

Mike, Thank you for your kind words. I am very happy to be here .It is an excellent resource and such nice people .It must be painful for you and Brian to have to cut the top off your trees.
Brian,Wow! What beautiful trees. Thank you for sharing the pictures,they are amazing. So healthy and strong looking. I appreciate the info on where to find citrus . I will check the nursery's you mentioned in Ottawa. We have two Home Depots in our area. I checked one so will check the other. There are lots of HD 's across the bridge in Detroit but unfortunately I cannot import citrus from the U.S. Is it true that once you get a few trees you are on the lookout for more and different varieties? What a great obsession.
Chris,nice to hear from you again. I will take your advise and get the other three out of the nursery mix and into a 5-1-1 mix. Wish I could find a sourest for the bark but for now I am using the repti- bark.
It is getting humid here in Windsor and will be in the 90's here as well Brian by the week- end. The trees should like that.
Thanks again everyone. Maggy

o

Hi Mike,Brian. I have a question already. Here is a picture of my Persian lime that I am going to repot in 5-1-1 mix. Do I cut off the growth on the bottom?
My variegated lemon is showing some signs of stress since repotted on Sun. The top leaves are a bit droopy but I assume this is normal after repotting.?
Brian I read that you are using pro- mix I use it for most of my garden. Which one are you using for citrus? Do you add anything. ? Thanks once again. Really really humid here. Maggy

o

Hi Maggy I definitely would. The lower one is probably rootstock . If you wanted you can let them grow a bit more and try making cuttings with them but I would cut them because they are robbing the upper part of your tree energy. I am at work in downtown Ottawa and it has been pouring all morning , I should have put some flotation devices on my trees before I left this morning.

Thank you for all your kind words Maggy.

Brian

o

Thanks Brian, I thought I should remove them. I contacted Richmond nursery. They say they have lots of citrus and kaffir lime is one they have in production but they do not ship their plants. Too bad .But thanks for the tip. Hope your trees don't float away. Maggy

o

Maggy,

I had a hard time finding the bark as well. I finally drove to a company that sells mulch in bulk even though they told me they didn't have any pine bark fines. What they did have was what they called pine bark triple cut. To me it looked like the pictures people have posted of pine bark fines. So at $30 a yard, I had them put it in the back of of my pick up truck. That should keep me stocked for a while. Now I need to go get more trees so I can use the pine bark! :)

Chris

o

Maggy try geenbarn in Montreal I believe they ship. I believe that is there name

Brian

o

Brian, you are such a wealth of information. They have lots of citrus. I will contact them. Also in my research I have found Plant World and Jade garden that sell citrus in Toronto. We are going there the first week- end in August. Now if I can convince my husband to go citrus shopping. Maybe ,if I can make him think it is his idea! We are having a huge thunder storm right now and tons of rain. I love storms but my little puppy is shaking like a leaf. Hope the plants like it. Maggy

o

Chris, isn't it fun. We find citrus and we have to find the growing medium. Then more citrus to go in it. Brian just told next about the Green barn nursery in Montreal that sell citrus. I am going to see if they ship. Also plant World in Toronto is expecting a new shipment in the next couple of weeks and Jade Gardens ,also in Toronto sell citrus. I will be checking them out. Where do you live? Maggy

o

Maggy just think how many Home Depots there are in Toronto lol. Everyman wants a new barbecue. Just visit them all until you find your right citrus I mean barbecue. After all that then you try jade and plant world .

My dog is terrified of thunder as a matter of fact so am I , I guess we will both be down in the basement tonight nervously shaking . They are calling for lots of thunder and lighting tonight.

Brian

o

BRian..Please send some of that thunder my way! Use to be exciting when we use to get them several times a year over 25 years agao...But now rare and it's disturbing around my parts...
I get a mini drought in all the surrounding communities all summer..Depressing..lol

MIkw

o

Brian , yes there are a lot of Home Depots between here and Toronto as well. Maybe my husband needs some new tools. I just heard from Jade gardens and they are sending me a list. I will be visiting them and Plant World .I have been doing research all afternoon on my iPad. Good thing we have leftover's for dinner. LOL Are your plants in pro- mix ? Do you use the 5-1-1 or gritty mix.? Our storm has stopped and my dog is out of hiding. Maggy

o

Maggy,

That's great that you have some many places around there that have citrus trees. I live in Charleston, SC. There are a few nurseries around here but they're expensive so that leaves Lowes, Home Depot, and Walmart. The HD trees leave a lot to be desired so my trees have been coming from mostly Lowes and Walmart. I think a grapefruit may be following me home tonight from Lowes. :) Maybe my wife won't notice if I hide it in the back with the rest. Have fun citrus, I mean, barbeque grill shopping. Oh, and we have been getting some thunder storms here as well. The dogs come running up stairs and kick me out of my side of the bed so they can get some attention from my wife. Yeah, the dogs have a higher status than I do!! LOL.

Chris

o
RE: yMy first citrus in Al's 5-1-1 mix

Maggy I can't see across the street . No watering required tonight . Bacon and tomato sandwiches tonight .Maggy can you let me know when they send you the list if they have Kishu .

Thankyou .Oh good as I am writing this the rain is stopping Ya Hooo. My plants are in pro mix I guess I will find out how good the mix really is.

Brian

o

Roll out the barrel we'll have a barrel of fun roll out the barrel etc. That's what these guys are going to do tonight PARTY.

Chris the plants Home Depot supply us with up here are fantastic and at a good price.

Maggy the pro mix worked fantastic I tried the lifting test and the pots seemed reasonably light and it was not muddy. We probably had a couple of inches of rain. Lots of major puddles every where.

Brian

o

Brian....Lol...Love the snail..lol

Listen, this mix, please, it's important that is holds up to its level of expectations within a few weeks from now and especially through the winter into next season as it does today...
Even the worst mix in a bag such as MG can be perfect to start with and then decline rapidly putting your trees at risk unexpectantly..
Becareful with fertilizing and make sure that mix does not harbor disolved salts because the gritty and 5.1.1 do not. That's the benefit of using a much more porous mix than one with many fine particles...)
One has to watch how much they fertilize and how much they use in finer mixes...One can fertilize freely in a porous one...

I would really appreciate it if you kept us updated through the winter right into next spring..

Have you had any trees in this mix through at least a year yet? I can't remember....
But if it hodling up now, congrats buddy!
Let it rain let it rain let it rain and I wish here.

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 18:16

o

There is a lot of activity going on here. Great. Brian I checked the two places in Quebec who will mail me a kaffir lime. Green barn a 3-5 ft grafted for $125 and $49 shipping .Floraexocita in Montreal has a grafted 3 ft for $60 and $39 shipping. Is that pricey ? Peter has lots at Richmond nursery . He said someone went out of business and he bought all their trees and has tons of Kaffir lime but says he won't ship because they don't ship well. I couldn't convince him to send me one LOL! !My son will check the Home Depot in Toronto so it has now become an adventure. I am on a mission now. Which pro mix are you using? I will check with Jade garden to see if they have Kishu. Also will look when I am in Toronto,but that will be a August.
Chris hiding trees hasn't worked for me. My husband aka Columbo always finds them. My dogs also crowd the bed so they can get my attention when it storms .
Mike hope you get some rain. Maggy

o

Mike : Maggy and I are going to huff and puff and blow all the rain your way. Are you sure your going to want it ? We know you love sun and heat. Thanks Mike for the heads up on the soil , I will carefully watch it and if it turn out to be a problem I will not hesitate for one minute to change the mix . I also did not know about the fertilizing problems that might arise with using such a mix. Thankyou so much. My trees that are above Mike I used the cheapest potting mix there was out there and they have been in the same pot for 8 years . I am mystified why they are still doing great, there can't be much soil left inside those pots. Must be all the fertilizer from my partying friends keeping those trees going .

Maggie Richmond nursery had a lot of kaffir limes but they were I believe not on rootstock I don't know if you would really want that . I was there a while ago and they were not that large between 1 and 2 ft. I believe they were 39.99 not 100 percent on that . The price of of flora seems not to bad but the shipping ouch. Maggy I am on holidays next 2 weeks can you see me smiling , I will keep an eye open for a grafted kaffir lime . Trust me every Home Depot between here and Kingston will be visited.

Thanks again Mike it's always nice learning something new thx Buddy.

Brian

o

Maggy It appears that the lower branches are above the bud graft which was on the right side. The lower limbs will fill in nicely and protect the trunk from sun burn. Any potted plant will do better if it branches out lower to the ground and is less likely to blow over.

Chris It is even worse for citrus trees here in Cincinnati.

Steve

o

Thanks Steve, I am wondering if it is more wise to leave the new growth as you say ,to prevent the tree from being top heavy and protect the trunk from sun burn. or to remove it to prevent it from taking energy from the rest of the tree as Mike has suggested. Being new I have the greatest respect for the experienced growers here and appreciate all of the advise I receive.
Brian have a great vacation. No,I probably will want a grafted kaffir lime and thank you for keeping your eyes open.
Dave Hanson who owns Sage Gardens in Winnipeg has Kishu citrus .Here is his contact info
Telephone: (204) 257-2715 Fax: (204) 256-1847
email: sage@herbs.mb.ca
Mailing Address: 3410 St. Mary's Road, Winnipeg, Manitoba R2N 4E2 Canada
I have brought numerous plants from him over the years such as allspice trees,cinnamon tree ,bay leaf etc and he has always mailed them to me. He has even called me to see how they are doing.
Here is the list from Jade garden in Toronto
We have the following Citrus trees that are between 3.5- 4.5 feet tall
Nagami Kumquat 149.99
Sweet Meiwa Kumquat 89.99
Moro Blood Orange 98.99
Armstrong Satsuma 98.99
Meyer Lemon 98.99
Sunburst Tangerine 89.99
Thornless Key Lime 98.99
Ponderosa Lemon 98.99
Persian Lime 98.99
Flame Red Grapefruit 89.99
Ruby Red Grapefruit 89.99 A bit pricey.
Vermeers in St. Catherine's has 25-30 citrus trees priced from $35- $105. I spoke with them today.They have a nice selection including a mandarin but they are not sure if it is a Kishu. Neither of these nurseries will mail trees but I will be visiting them the beginning of August .So if there is something you want let me know. I am sure we could figure out how to get it to you. I have already convinced my husband to take an extra day off so we can go citrus hunting.
I have a question,if a plant is not grown on grafted stock but is a cutting will it produce fruit.? Maggy

o

A rooted mature bearing age cutting will bear fruit with out the years of waiting. I am the least experience of the citrus gurus as I am the new guy on the block. My experience is with seed grown citrus and 2 inherited rescue rooted-cutting Meyer lemon. Any one of my trees can send up a stalk from the roots and it will be true. If You can verify that the graft is in the circle you can do either. do you want a bush or a tree.

Steve

o

Maggy your an angel! !!! Thank you for all your trouble and time . Your husband sounds like an angel to let you go citrus hunting for an extra day . When I want to go hunting it's do you really need another tree or where are you going to put that it's not coming in the house. I guess your not at that stage yet . Your a newbie collector . Maggy there is only so much they will take lol. Imagine kishu in Winnipeg that sounds as funny as Kaffir limes in Ottawa , who would of thunk. Sounds mighty interesting.

Maggy they will fruit from cuttings myself I have always found grafted plants much easier to grow .I have lost about 4 trees in the past and they were from cuttings . Myself I would not try another one. They all died the same way foot root . Not to say you would not have better luck than I . I do have 3 extremely large trees Satsuma and a lime and murcott mandarin from cuttings doing extremely well. They are about 8 years old and I get lots of fruit from them . I guess living in Windsor shipping will always be expensive. Flora in Montreal is not a bad price for a 3 ft grafted Kaffir lime.This is probably going to be the going rate in Nurseries.

Enjoy your trip Maggy try not to poop your husband out sounds like a really nice guy.

Mike is it thundering yet .We only had about 3 inches of rain last night. I am telling you Mike once it starts your going to wish it stops . Prepare your rubber dingy. I am sorry Mike yes this is my first time using pro mix . I hope I am not going to have trouble.

Maggy I forgot I still think you should cut those lower limbs . I don't think it will help to much with the wind sorry . Sun burn i'm lucky if i get a burn in the summer definitely not Arizona here . Ihave a couple of Bush looking citrus trees and the wind if strong enough will blow them over . Not only that your tree will look so much nicer . You will also be letting the air down at the bottom of your tree .

o

Please Brian and Maggy..Send the horrific dowpours my way! I have not seen one in months and no thunder for two years...It's a sin..They are just 50 miles of me and can never creep in here..
They blame it on too much developement which has wiped my surrounding forrest away..I'm saddened..

We've created a micro climate of drought and Arizona weather...Well, the greedy developers have..

Brian, 3 inches of rain???? I don't get that in 4 months of summer..It's back to deep watering and a high water bill every year. I miss the old days when we had rain every week. The summer I had 15 inches of rain and flooding, my trees thrived..lol
They were the greenest ever.....My orchids loved it too.. I never had to use faucet water which they despise.

Maggy, thank you, you are sweet as Brian says and enjoy your trip! I'll keep you updated if it rains more than and inch or so..Keeping my fingers crossed or I am going to do a rain dance.

By the way, I would nip all the growth off if you are wanting a tree like plant..That's just me, a bit impartial..I hate the bushy type citrus..They always get to wide and I can never fit them all together in a window come fall..

MIke

o

Steve, yes the circle in the picture appears to be the graft. I think I prefer the look of the tree as opposed to a bush .glad you are enjoying growing your citrus. I see from older posts you have put a lot of effort into your trees and you seem very passionate about them.
Brian,you made me laugh. My husband is a very nice guy . We have only been married 4 yrs so I imagine he will only allow so much! We met late in life so by that time he gets fed up with me I will either be too old to care or I won't remember LOL! Not only that ,discovering my citrus passion at this stage it is likely my trees will out live me. Then who will take care of them or want them.
It is interesting when one starts a search for citrus trees and as you indicated, we sometimes find them in the most unlikely places.
I agree with you about cuttings. I likely won't try cuttings. But after reading of all the varieties that might be the only way I could every try them.
I have a sun room that has 14 windows but unfortunately it is unheated and not insulated. It only gets afternoon sun as well so likely isn't a good option.
The next challenge will be over wintering inside.
Would someone comment on my Pink Variegated lemon that I repotted? It is starting to droop. Is that stress from repotting. ? Do I need to do anything? I think I read somewhere that this is normal thanks. Love this forum Maggy

o

Hi Maggy...Especially variegated droop...All mine did was fall from wind the other day and fell out of the pot for maybe 3 minutes...I put it back in and it's been drooping ever since...Looks like its dying..lol
Once the sun drops, it should perk back up again.

II must say in my experience these variegated ones are the hardest to keep happy and bug free..That is why I only have one left...I got tred of keeping all of them happy..

I'll tell you, for me cuttings is the way to go along with grafted...I like both...I see no difference in growth except that the grafted ones always turn into trees faster and develop thick trunks much quicker...

All my Ponderosa Lemon trees are from cuttings and some huge now..One so huge, I have to cut it back 3 times a year..

MIke

o

Hi all. I am beginning to notice that if I leave buckets of water outside to de chlorinate that the plants (citrus and blueberries) do better.. Something to try.

Steve

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 16:13

o

Oh Maggy and Mike you guys are funny . I was reading your last post to Maggy ( Mike) and all kinds of funny things popped in to my head but not going there. My trees droop after a heavy rain especially the new growth even after the leaves have dried .This has been a fun posting and dam it we need a little fun after all the hard work we do with are trees. I was just in the GH and some of my cuttings worked . I took the cuttings from all the trees I chopped in May now if I could only remember which is which. Talk about old age .

Thx Maggy and Mike !!

o

Hi there, I thought I answered Mike's message but don't see it here. Must be the wine I was drinking and I pressed the wrong button. LOL! Brian I am glad you got a laugh and that you have a good imagination......I agree it is good to have fun.
Mike thanks for the information about "drooping" .i am sorry to hear the variegated citrus are " fussy" this of course is my favourite.
Glad to hear both you and Brian have success with cuttings. Are they difficult to root? Where do you obtain them or do you take them from the trees. You already haveI love the grafted but it can quickly become expensive.
Speaking of citrus we were in Portugal in May and we bought a bag of 25 lbs of oranges for $6.00 fresh off the tree. The biggest oranges I had ever seen.We had fresh orange juice every day. Heavenly. Maggy

o

Maggy , funny imagination not going there lol. This is a good time to take cuttings when the trees are growing really well. I like to take back up cuttings of my trees just in case the parent tree for some reason dies. Now I heard pro mix works well on cuttings and so far so good. Now if I could remember which is which I thought I would remember not to bright. I broke the new growth off one of them when I lifted the plastic covering ( Darn) . Oh Maggy I remember every year walking through an orange grove at blossom time in Florida when i was young it was pretty amazing. I guess this is where my crazy love for citrus came from.

Brian

Looking forward to some wine on my holidays. Enjoy.

o

Brian, I heard from Dave at Sage Garden, this is what he said
"We do have kishu seedless mandarin. These are first year grafted stock,
about 18" tall from soil line, in 11" deep root developer pots. They are
well established, but not very branchy yet. These are $21.95 and shipping
would be about $16 - 18 " This might interest you,I thought it reasonably priced. He is a nice guy and always willing to help. I have bought all my spice trees from him for the past 10 years. ( my other hobby) He has quite a variety and I am thinking of the star anise plant but it is huge and expensive. And I want more citrus oh! the sacrifices we have to make! Maggy
Hot and sunny here today.

o

Thankyou Maggy lots of hugs. That is a great price. I won the hockey pool a couple of weeks ago and I said if I win I was going to treat myself to one tree . Thanks again so much. Will you order your Kaffir lime from there ?

P's here comes another argument with the other half lol.

Brian

o

Brian, all you have to do is tell her you will do all the cooking with all the spices of citrus added to culinary dishes and she'll let you buy all you want..lol
No argument there..

Maggy, get ready to buy more citrus! There's always more room for one...Once you get the citrus fever, it's impossible to get rid of it..Of course, my fever almost did this year when I got tired of all this cold and lousy cloudy days for growing....

Brian...Too funny..That's exactly what I remember about Florida and in fact every time we went, my first priority was to walk around an orange grove before Disneyworld..lol..

Rootings are so easy....Just take them from growth no older than a year or so and cut the leaves in half on the cutting to preserve energy into root making..Keep the cutting warm and moist..Good to go..It's expensive to buy cuttings, just look at Logee's...I too like to start them incase an adult tree of same like goes..

By the way..2 inches of rain last night! Yahoo...Everything looks great this morning...

Mike

o

Hi Brian and Mike, I think I will try some cuttings. It's true once you get the citrus fever it is impossible to not buy more. Brian, Dave at Sage Gardens unfortunately does not have kaffir lime but I might buy a mandarin instead. I will drop him a note and see what else he has. My birthday is coming up so I can tell my husband I want citrus trees.After all I only have 5 . Funny how we can always rationalize why we need another tree and how we can get it. My variegated pink lemon is looking very droopy today. I might lose it.
Mike,do you keep the cuttings in the sun while they are rooting? I have a heating mat and a grow light( not tall enough for my citrus though) .or would outside be better? Maggy

o

Maggy have you tried terra nursery and Humber nursery apparently they carry citrus . This is a very addictive habit and it just doesn't stop and your other half will never understand be prepared for alot of No No I would say by next year lol.Anyways there are a lot more expensive hobby out there . They are just lucky we didn't take up flying for a hobby . Your variegated lemon looks alright I would only worry if all the leaves started turning brown .I think I will order the tree tommorrow it's Friday and everybody is usually in a good mood right.

Mike you finally got wet!! Isn't it great. 2 inches is alot you won't have to worry about watering for a couple of day's .Now you can take some time for yourself and sit back and enjoy with a nice cold one. Your right about the rain it sure makes them look good , wash's all the dirt off. I hope you had lots of thunder I no you love that .

Mike lol I have tried the fancy dinners nothing works. She is so on to me . I hoping Friday and the start of our holidays will do the trick. Here's to hoping.

Brian

o

Mike You got 2 inches of rain-----I am glad I am off the appalachian trail. I hope thing go well with your trees.

Steve

o

Maggy finally found the courage to call Dave's if you no what I mean . I was talking to a nice young lady and she said they don't carry Kishu any longer . She checked the geenhouse and did not see any and she checked the system and could not find . Oh well back to the drawing board . Thank goodness I didn't fly out there to pick one up lol. It's a beautiful warm day here ya hooo .

Brian

o

Hi Brian,
I have a list of places to visit when we go to Toronto. Both Terra and Humber nurseries are on our way. Then there are the Home Depots and some nurseries in Toronto that I will visit with my son. After two days in Toronto we are going to Rick's daughters in St. Catherine's and Verneers nursery is there and they have 35-40 citrus trees .His daughter and husband own a vineyard ,too bad it is not a citrus orchard. On our way home there is Terra nursery in Hamilton and one in Ancaster. My husband has agree to visit these .I told him it could be my birthday gift (and some money for a couple of trees.LOL ! ) I haven't mentioned the money part yet. I mentioned to Dave that you might order a tree. Tell him Margaret from Windsor recommended him. My husband did say"do you really need more trees ?" my response" of course I do. I have only just begun" I am afraid that he is on to me. Wait until I have to bring them all inside. They will be harder to hide then. It is true that many do not understand . I told a friend yesterday about my lovely trees and she just thought I was crazy. At least here I know there are others who are like me.
Mike,hope you enjoy the rain and that your trees flourish. I love a good storm.
Steve, enjoy your week- end adventure.
Maggy

Sent from my ipad

o

Brian, I talked to Dave today and he says he has some. I will call him tomorrow. I think he doesn't have them listed yet. I will get back to you. Don't give up.Maggy

o

Thankyou so much Maggy. Throwing a hug your way . Sitting outside with a margarita , beautiful evening . Here is a list to check in Toronto . Terra , jade , Humber , holland park , Sheridan nurseries , plant world , harpers garden centre . Someone from another posting said all these garden centers carry citrus , he lived in Toronto . I think you will need two extra days in Toronto.

Brian

o

You are so welcome Brian . Dave often has sent me plants that are not on his website. I will let you know as soon as I speak with him.
Enjoy your margarita. We are having a Caesar .thanks for the list of nurseries. Can't wait for the first of August until the great adventure.
Maggy

o

Boy. if anyone else is living in your areas and love citrus, I hope this see this thread..So nice of you both to share like this!

Maggy. I never let any cutting sit in direct sun...They always get dabbles sunlight or sunlight througha vaneer screen or plastic, softened dirct sun, or birght diffused sun light..I hooe this helps...
I do the east thing..I either put a pot in a pot of vermiculite and then root that way, or just stick cuttings in a pond of water under a plant bench, and they root that way..

Well, it was a beautiful hot day today until the sun got covered by fog bank clouds from the ocean and the temps dipped to 65 in one hour..I could smell dead fish in the air..lol

o

Your a special guy to Mike . Everybody on the forum loves you .Fishy smell ?
Mike if you have a pool you better make sure that big great white shark didn't make it's way in there.

Brian

o

Hi Brian. I have good news that will make you smile. I dropped Dave Hanson. an email last night and here is his response " Hi there Margaret - We do have the Kishu Seedless Mandarins; I think my
staff member was unsure as they are not officially out for sale yet. But
we do have them in the size I described earlier. Kaffir Lime as well."
Just send him an email at. sage@herbs.mb.ca. I am so excited that I you found the Kishu and I found the kaffir lime. I actually am going to buy a Kishu as well.
Mike you are right that there are some good sources here in Ontario but one has to search for them.Hopefully this might be helpful for others This is the good thing about this forum. Mike I agree with Brian you are very special and so are you Brian. Without you two I probably would have killed my new plants already.Now I have to go play with my plants. Warmest regards Maggy

o

Oh Maggy hugs and kisses Thankyou. Excitement is contagious . Maggie for sure get a Kishu supposed to be the best of the best . So glad they had a Kaffir lime now you can have a nice relaxing trip in Toronto. On a short break talk to you later . Thanks again .

Brian

o

You are so welcome Brian. Mike or Brian I have a question. My lime,lemon
And orange are budding ,should I repot them in the 5-1-1 mix now or wait?
Thanks. Maggy

o

You know you guys down south have tropical heat but us northerners have Maggy . Glad you joined the club .. I will email dave tonight. Enjoy playing with your trees today . I wish i was out there to , it is a gorgeous day in Ottawa today .

Brian

o

To funny Maggy we were writing at the same time . No it shouldn't hurt them at all . I knew you were playing with your trees.

Brian

o

Brian. You made me laugh. I am really glad I joined this forum for sure. I will replant my trees . Going to pet smart to get more repti bark. I am retired but may have to go back to work to support my new hobby. I mentioned to Dave that you would be contacting him. I have ordered my trees ,just waiting for the final price so I can pay for them.We are not going to Toronto until Aug 2nd .Gorgeous day here too. Think we will have to order out tonight. Too nice to be inside cooking .Maggy

o

Maggy sent off the email this afternoon . I have not heard back yet but it was later on in the afternoon . I hope you are enjoying your Caesar tonight. Just a guess of coarse lol . Have a great weekend.

Brian

o

Hi Brian, I am waiting to hear from Dave also. He will get back to you. How did you know I was having a Caesar ?You know me too well LOL ! You have a great week- end too. Maggy

o

Good morning. I got up at 6.30 am to play with my plants.OMG . Just love those citrus trees. The orange blossoms smell heavenly. I made a big batch of 5-1-1 mix and will let it sit for awhile. Do I need to make it damp now. I didn't last time, which was probably a mistake. The variegated lemon I repotted in the mix last Sun.is still protesting. The limequat looks happy though. Going to be 85 degrees here today. Glad I got an early start. I am sorry for asking so many questions. I have a 5 yr old allspice tree,some clove trees and a cinnamon tree. Would they do well in 5-1-1 mix? I think they are acid loving plants . It is probably not appropriate to ask here but Mike or Brian you likely know.Have a great week- end and stay out of trouble. Maggy

o

Good morning Maggy . It is a beautiful day here in Ottawa. It is right now 84 degrees going to 90 . I knew you would be in the garden as I was early this morning squishing the odd scale , lovely. We are having a big pool party this afternoon with the in laws . Should be a blast. Salmon on the barbecue with escargot and nice home made bread and maybe a little red wine maybe.

Mike would know all about the 5 1 1 mix , I am using right now either cheap potting mix or the pro mix . So far my trees seem to love the pro mix knock on wood .

Wow you have alot of interesting spice trees cool . Your husband must do alot of baking lol.

Here Maggy is a picture of my Page mandarin . The picture was taken this morning . Looks like a lot of snow on the top , it's not it is the pro mix. Check out all the new growth , you can really see it around the top but it is all over .

Maggy can you let me know if my picture are coming in sideways . Thx.

Brian

o

Good morning Brian, what a beautiful tree. Looks so strong and healthy How do you get the trunk to grow so big. Mine are all skinny. I do love spice trees and gourmet cooking is one of my passions.. We usually go to Jamaica every Oct and I fell in love with the spices and flavours . Thus began my journey to find and grow the unusual . If you think finding citrus is difficult in Canada it is even harder to find spice trees. That is how I know Dave as I got my trees from him. Prior to 2007 he lived in Nova Scotia and I did as well . ( I haven't heard from him yet either but we will) .
May I ask Brian why you are not using the 5-1-1 or gritty mix? If I had a lot of trees it would be very expensive . Pro -mix is certainly a good mix. I use it for my tomato's and peppers . I am also growing garlic this year for the first time and everything has done well in the pro mix.
A pool party sounds wonderful. Sure wish we had a pool.We had a flood in our basement last week that was like a pool.LOL! Waiting for the insurance decision .the cost of restoration will likely replace our trip this winter. At least I have my trees to keep me happy.
Brian enjoy your pool party and stay cool. Maggy.
You tree picture is not sideways. Beautiful.

o

Maggy your such a positive and strong person , you are truly special. I feel just horrible for you guys . Last week I was also worried about a flood in the basement , there was one day we had 3 inches of rain in a very short time . Did alot of damage around here roads washed out and alot of basements flooded . You don't have to hear me say this because you already have your chin up but I am going to say it any ways , Maggy keep you chin up better days are a head . The basement will be repaired and yoiu will go back to Jamaica this winter.

Maggy I never used 5 1 1 mix because I have had such good luck with my plants . Every year they grow like crazy and give me lots of fruit. The tree above I have to chop about a foot and a half every spring and another foot or more just to get it back in the greenhouse in the fall . All my plants keep reaching for the sky. I think my success with the trees are I am not afraid to try new things with them eg fertilizer or soil etc . I fertilize regularly and I keep to a watering schedule which equals I have no life lol. Our back yard has full sun from Morning to night , very very hot backyard . If the temperature says 80 it will be 90 in the backyard . I think that is why my trees grow like crazy .

Thank you for letting me know about the pictures , because on some device's they are sideways and some right side up . Wish we were neighbour's we would have such a great time with the plants.

Looking forward to go to the cottage tomorrow . My parents have a nice place in Westport which is just a few miles north of Kingston on the big Rideau.

Alot of clouds rolling in now i hope it doest poop poop on our party. Have a fantastic afternoon guys

Brian

o

Brian,thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement. I very much appreciate that. My philosophy is that " it is what it is" and we have to deal with it. It will get fixed . We did decide to go to Portugal next May for three weeks so we probably won't go to Jamaica this year. I can almost smell and taste those huge ,juicy oranges in Portugal.
It is very interesting that you have such good luck with your trees. They are so beautiful . The sunny yard helps . We have sun in our front yard most of the day and the trees seem to like that. I imagine your greenhouse helps as well. How do you heat it? I would love to have trees that look like yours.
If we were neighbours we would have a lot of fun with our trees. We could babysit each other's trees as well.
Hope it doesn't rain on your party. My husband said to tell you " our plane lands at 3pm.
Enjoy the cottage tomorrow. You are on vacation right?
Take care Maggy

o

Maggy I will be waiting for you and your husband at 3.00 sounds like it would be a blast . Portugal is a very nice place from what I have seen on PBS . Jealous. Not a place for you to go Maggy they have way to many citrus trees there . I have seen many shows on Italy , everybody have citrus trees in pots . There are even parks full of lemon trees you can walk through , must be amazing .

I heat my green house with a little 1500 watt heater , it has a thermostat on it so once it hits the temperature I set it at which is usually 55 degrees it shuts off . That did not happen much last winter because we had no sun . I think I counted about 4 days with sun last winter, the plants did not like that to much and nor did I the heating bills . I also have a fan running all the time in there for good air circulation. With all the hydro going in there I probably could have booked a flight to Portugal or somewhere . Actually not that bad just exaggerating .

Yes living close to each other would definitely end the when I am away watering problems. Talk to you later enjoy the heat.

Brian

o

Good morning Brian, how was your pool party? Bet it was fun. And you are off to the cottage today. It is another hot day here. Had a little rain. My trees in the 5-1-1- need a lot of watering in this heat. The limquat is showing new growth and is in the sun but the variegated lemon is needing shade and a lot of babying . Mike had said they can be difficult to grow. Too bad as the foliage is so pretty.
Did you build your greenhouse? Your trees are lucky. I am going to have to come up with a way to keep my trees happy in the winter. ( without killing them) . Do you feed your trees every time you water or weekly. I have mine on a weekly schedule . I haven't replanted the lime,lemon,orange yet . It is too hot and might shock them. They were recently repotted by the nursery so am wondering if I should wait as they are growing new foliage and blooming . They seem happy .
Yes Portugal is amazing and the oranges and lemons are everywhere. Too bad I can't bring back. We are allowed to bring back fresh oranges though.Next year will be our fourth visit We rent a condo from the same people every year and lease a car so we get to see all the small villages,visit the farmers markets .the fresh fruit,vegetables and seafood is yummy.
I am anxious to hear from Dave but I imagine he is busy on the long week- end. Can't wait to get some new trees ? Isn't it great that we can grow citrus in our climate. Have a great day . We are going out for brunch with friends soon. Maggy

o

Maggy good morning hope you had a fantastic weekend and brunch .Internet or something is giving me a hard time up here 4 messages rejected . It's so hot at the cottage . I will talk to you tonight when we get home .

Brian

o

Brian and Maggy..YOu guys are breath of fresh air! Thak you for your kind words...It's hard to come back here living outside while I can..lol

I have more to read but wanted to say thank thank you!

MIke

o

Hi Mike,Brian, I trust you both enjoyed your week- end. Nice to be outside.,with family,friends .Here's my news: the dog ate my sunglasses, got ants in my pants err plants and insurance is going to restore our water damaged basement. Brian you were right. It will get fixed.My plants seem to love this heat and humidity. Growing leaps and bounds. It is 86 degrees now. One thing I noticed is that the stems( trunks) are thin so am trying to get them off the stakes. Doing it gradually as I don't want them to break. The ants seem to be everywhere . Trying to get rid of them because I know they love to farm little critters on the trees. Waiting for it to cool a bit before I repot the rest of the trees. Take care Maggy

o

My God..So you good to see you guys having a great time and to see the joy you have with what happens to our trees in the weather some get year round!

Mine are doing fantastic...Better suck it all up while we can. Before you know it them nights below 50 will be here and cold dry days..lol
Heck, we have already lost 20 minutes of daylight since June 21..lol

Maggy..Yes, ants usually go hand in hand with other pests, especially Aphids and Scale..If they are secreting sweet sap, they will forage on that. Make sure you have no pests doing that...

You can still repot, but make sure to stick the trees in shade for a few days and make sure they are well hydrated..Should be fine..

Brian, Having a food time? Who is watering your trees while your gone? I hope they do a good job! No one ever does a good job unless I just have them water every day whether they are already wet or not..Thank goodness for porous mixes..

Hey, I might finally be able to share some pics of miy trees although I highly doubt I'll ever get to the store for another card reader..
By the way, the frogs knocked over one of my trees trying to make out! I should of caught that on video..
They both jumped into the air at the same time, grabbed each other with a bear hug and came down on my small tree and knock the pot right over into the pond..What a mess..

NIte

o

Maggy so you guys were playing ants in your pants, I used to love playing that game when I was a kid , aren't you guys a little to old for that . Mike is right if you see those little critters going into your trees you might have scale or aphids or mealy bugs . Every time I water I fertilize and wash my trees and look for bugs . Once you get into this habit it won't seem so bad . Glad you had a great weekend . Your right about the trees mine are freaking out in this heat , growing like crazy . Had a great time at the cottage . I actually went swimming in the middle of the lake , hate weeds. I thought the water was going to be cool but I was pleasantly surprised to find out it was as warm as the pool . My ears are purple a little to much sun . Still have not heard back from Dave :( . He must be really busy I hope. Have fun in the garden tomorrow morning.

Mike nice hearing from you . Mike I don't let anybody water my plants when I am away . I have tried that before and it turned out to be a major failure. So when I go away I can only go for a day and a half at a time.

Mike there must be someone on this forum that has a great recipe for frog legs .lol funny story .

Mike you must be loving this weather . It has been so hot here for a while now , I Love it. So if it is hot here it must be really hot where you live . It is still 85 degrees here with a humid ex of 90 at 10 PM , WOW It just wipes out the bad memories of last winter .

Brian

o

Mike,your frog story is hilarious. You are very funny.
Brian you are pretty funny also with your ant story.The ants are not really in my trees. Just every where on the front walkway, I am afraid they will get on my trees and bring the aphids and scale . Trying to prevent that .I guess I haven't got my watering and feeding schedule sorted yet. I have been feeding the lemon,lime and orange that are in the nursery mix 1 tsp FP/ gallon of water. Once a week .Should I be feeding them a weaker solution every time I water instead.I of course water the ones in 5-1-1 more often but haven't started feeding them yet. I have so much to learn .
We have a weather alert for a major thunder storm and possibly damaging wind. Trying to decide if I should bring my babies inside. I would hate to see them damaged. Just watered them so they are heavy. Keep well. Maggy

o

Hi Maggy I am also very worried about tomorrow afternoon. The storms are supposed to hit here to . There is no where for my trees to hide. I use Miracle Grow all purpose and they love it . I sprinkle a little everytime I water. I really hope everything turns out well for both of us . I will say a prayer tonight. Try not to worry .

Brian

o

Good morning Brian, Happy Canada Day. I do see from the weather map that you have a possibility of a storm. I think we still have a threat but it seems a lower risk. I do hope your trees are o.k. I brought mine in last night and then put them out again this morning. They are still a manageable size but the trunks are very thin and I am worried they will break in the wind.Do I understand you correctly that you use miracle grow and don't dissolve it but put it directly on the soil when you water.? Your trees sure look healthy. I am using dyna grow foliage pro and the trees love it.
Mike this question is for you. When I water my trees that are in 5-1-1 mix do I give them a good watering and then water with foliage pro after or with the initial watering? Is once a week feeding 1tsp/ gallon and 1 tsp vinegar adequate. Or is a weaker solution more often better ? Thanks and hope your trees are doing well. Waiting to see some pictures.
The work men are here tearing out our the floor so it is rather chaotic . I just sent the dogs to the dog sitter. Now if I could just get a "sitter" for my trees.
Still haven't heard from Dave . I sent him a message yesterday Brian. I am getting anxious to get my new trees as well. I will call him tomorrow . Keep me informed of your weather.
Have a great day. Maggy

o

Happy Canada Maggy . This has to be the hottest Canada day I can ever remember . It is 37 Celsius with the humidity at 10 am or 95 feirenheit , crazy . Yes they are still calling for storms here late this afternoon and tonight. I hope they can get the fireworks in tonight . Maggy yes I just sprinkle a little MG on the top of the soil then water . I have been doing this for the last 5 years and they love it . I used to use a citrus fertilizer and never had the same results that I have now .

Maggy I am so glad to see that you are getting your basement repaired wow that is fast. You must have a great insurance company , fantastic .

I hope we hear from Dave , I would really love a Kishu .

Stay cool this afternoon . I am going to take a dip in the pool now . The temperature of the pool is 85 degrees . Have a wonderful afternoon and Canada day Maggy. Brian

o

Hi Mike .Hope you are enjoying Canada Day in Ottawa. It is hot here as well. Just as a contrast I worked in the Arctic for many years and one Canada Day it was - 20 and snowing as we celebrated Canada Day festivities. I think I prefer the sun but the humidity is challenging.
Just curious as to which MG you use as there seems to be several kinds. How do you compensate for the other minerals ? Such as ca etc. What I am learning here is different things work for different people . So I guess we all have to find our comfort zone . It is good that we can learn from others experiences and from trial and error.. I am so grateful for your help and for Mike and others on this site. You enthusiasm is so nice.
Yes ,we were so lucky with our insurance company.Today they ripped out our basement floor ,cleaned,disinfected etc . It will be a long process and it is disruptive but we are fortunate that it will get done.
Hope you don't get a bad storm. I enjoy storms if they are not destructive.
Take care. Maggy

o

Oh Maggy that is as close as I want to get to a severe storm . Ottawa was under a tornado warning for the last hour they have since dropped it . The sky to the north and I mean just to the north was purple and you should have heard the thunder , I thought I was going to have a melt down . I just kept thinking of my poor house and garden . Thank goodness that storm passed us by but they say there is a risk until this evening .

Maggy I started using all purpose M G because I was just having such a hard time finding citrus fertilizer , So one day we were on Costco and I saw a large box of M G at a good price and I said to myself let's give it a try , I must confess I did have my doubts I was worried it might burn my trees but that never happened. That was 5 years ago and my trees just love it as you can see .

Well going to fire up the barbecue in a hour . Going to cook up some nice thick sirloin steaks , yum .

Have a great afternoon you two . Brian

o

Brian,We saw the tornado warning for your area and thank God you and your family are o.k. It is pretty scary. Your poor puppy must have freaked out as well. Not something any of us wish to experience. Stay safe.
Citrus fertilizer is impossible to find here also. I found the foliage pro at a hydroponic store in Toronto that someone mentioned on this forum.it cost $20 and then $25 to send it. Glad that the MG works for you and your trees are beautiful.
Enjoy your steak. We might BBQ tonight. The house is turned upside down with the restoration of our basement and stuff everywhere . No family room right now as it is housing all the stuff from the laundry room and storage area.It is going to be this way for several weeks so I am sure we will adapt.
Have a great evening. Maggy

o

Brian, well I'll tell you what..I would never wish a storm like that hits you or your trees, but if it does such as a tornado, make sure the wind blows them to my home and drops them in my yard..lol
Your trees are beautiful and pics speak louder than words...You do have a different way of fertilizing, but if it works, that's great!
I've always been afraid to put the powder on top of the soil like that..Interesting..

Maggy, you could do either, with the watering first the fertilizer being the ultimate choice...
I feed either once a week a full dose or even more, or every time you water at a 1/4 strength or 1/2 strength..
Thank God your ok from the storms too..

I am suppose to get a tropical storm Friday of all days! On the 4th of July..But we could use the rain..lol We are such in a drought and the natural rains turn everything so green....

Keep us updated and let us know what's going on..This is quite relaxing and fun.

Mike

o

Mikey Mikey Mikey you bad boy , I love it !!! I heard you guys might be in for a tropical storm WOW that's kind of early and worse on the 4th of July . Well maybe if the wind is blowing in the right direction I might be able to catch a few of your trees especially your Kishu .

Maggy thank you so much for your concern . It was a real close call . Purple skies equals me and the dog hiding down in the basement. We are both terrified of storms and I don't know who is worse. They are calling for round 2 tomorrow afternoon, oh no . I better stock the basement with a lot of junk food tonight . I am glad there has been a lot of progress on your basement . Your just going have to make your backyard your new family room . You can buy a projector and beem it against the house and watch some good movies , just like a drive in . How romantic is that . Was watering and washing the plants again . Darn scales. The ants are a good way to see if your trees have bugs . If the ants don't crawl up into your trees that means your trees are nice and healthy with no bugs . Tons of ants here to . Lots of nests . Have a great evening and enjoy the fireworks .

o

Good morning. It is a beautiful sunny day here. I got up at 6 am and cut the lower growth off my lime tree and planted some cuttings. After they tore apart the basement the house smells of chemicals and musty. My trees are my therapy that keeps me sane.Mike thanks for clarifying the feeding schedule. I am not quite sure where you live but I hope you are not going to get a bad storm. I was looking at the track of Arthur and it seems to be going up the East coast within the next two days. Are you in that area ? I hope you are safe .
Brian I believe you are on vacation. You had a close call yesterday. How is your weather today? I am going to try and call Dave today about the trees. I will let you know.
There are lots of ant nests here but they are not on my trees and I don't see any signs of bugs so I think I am o.k. The variegated lemon is not looking great and part of it died but I am still trying to keep it going. I think when I planted it I may have had some air pockets around the roots . The good thing is that every mistake helps to prevent future mistakes. I don't know why I like that variegated tree so much but I am determined to get it to survive. Perhaps because it is the most difficult it is the most rewarding. I think Mike said that he had trouble with his and doesn't grow them anymore.
Brian , you made me laugh . You have quite the imagination . Turning my backyard into a drive in haaaaaaaaaa. You are funny.
I can't wait until Aug 1st when we go to Toronto so I can look for more trees.
Have a great day. Maggy

o

Good morning Maggy another hot and humid day , I love it. Your right Maggy it is very therapeutic . There is nothing more relaxing . Good I am glad you cut those lower branches , you did the right thing . I have a bush type citrus (Murcott ) mandarin and all day it was getting blown over by the high winds . A fruit broke off and it was delicious and the peel was still green very nice surprise. You and Mike i think are right about pro mix . Might be good for tomatoes but not so good for citrus . My ( tango ) and ( minneola) are growing very slow . With all this heat lately they should have shown the start of a flush . Although they are still nice and green . My other trees seem to love it ( Shasta gold ) and ( Page ) weird so I am going to repot the two that are growing very slow today , so off to the garden centers today who knows I might find another citrus tree.

Thankyou so much for your concern yesterday Maggy , you are truly special . There was a lot of damage to homes not that far from here , roofs blown off and lots of down trees a real mess . To close for comfort .

I think a little drive in in your backyard would be fun . We have a projector and I always wanted to try it outside and beem it against the white siding . Maybe one day if I could only talk the other half into that . Lol

I believe Mike lives in or near Boston . I don't understand why he would want to move from there , it's a beautiful part of the country and Boston is a lot of fun . It , must be the snow thing and frogs making out and knocking over his plants . Funny story Mike.

Have a fantastic garden day Maggy and i am looking forward to hear what's up with Dave .

Brian

o

Good morning Brian. It is hot here but less humid. I notice that the new growth on my lime tree is drooping. I have researched here and it seems it could be lack of water or too much water. I actually think I overwatered it last night as the soil is very wet. Should I just leave it to dry ,put it in the shade ? The rest of the plant looks fine. I think the soil from the nursery might be too heavy and retain too much water. Are you going to plant yours in 5-1-1 mix. I have some made up . I read somewhere that the Meyer lemon doesn't do well in the 5-1-1. Did you hear that somewhere.
I have other news. I know why we haven't heard from Dave. Winnipeg had a major storm and Dave has been without power since them. The lady at Sage Gardens told me he just got it restored this morning. I sent him an emai S she suggested. You are right the staff do not know about the Kishu or kaffir lime. Normally he is very reliable and I have ordered from him numerous times .
An outdoor drive in in our back yard!. I too might have trouble convincing my spouse. You are hilarious. I am still laughing about Mike's frogs making out and knocking over his plants. You are both very funny . Very intertaining.
Mike I believe I read you grow tropical plants. I have a large allspice tree,clove trees and cinnamon tree. Would they respond to being in 5-1-1 mix? I really need to repot the allspice. I gave it a weak dyna gro FP and it is going crazy.
Brian hope you find a new tree today.
Take care. Maggy

o

Brian, good news. I heard from Dave
"Hi Margaret - Yes, things were pretty disrupted by a big storm and we were
out of power for a couple of days. But, things are back to normal. We can
ship the Kishu and Kaffir on Monday, and add the Star Anise as well if you
like. You can decide any time.
Brian can order the Kishu Seedless as well. If you call today (we are open
until 6 Central time), you can securely leave your CC info with Linda or
Deanna, or any of the other staff.tel:204.257.2715">"
I edited this post Brian because I was afraid it might violate the forum rules and I don't want to do that. Hope you can order your tree. Maggy

This post was edited by maggyby on Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 13:16

o

Maggy that's great news . Your great .I will try to order when we get home . I don't think I am going to repot today way to hot now and just to hot to be walking through garden centers .Maggy a good way of knowing whether or not your trees need water is by gently tipping the pots, you will know right away by the feel . I would leave your tree in the sun if you feel you over watered them . But in all honesty you really can't over water in this kind of heat , and if you have your trees in very good potting mix .

Thanks again Maggy for the great news .

Brian

Talk to you later.

o

Maggy how does that song go by the Pointer Sisters , I'm so excited etc etc. Called Dave's and ordered my Kishu . Very excited . Should be here between next Wednesdy and Friday . Did you order your kaffir and Kishu And star anise ? Thanks for all your help Maggy I probably would not have found it on my own . Thanks again .

We are just having a thunderstorm , hiding in the basement with my dog . It was a hot beautiful day today but I find the heat is starting to wear me down .

I have a variagated lemon , almost died over the winter but is making a come back . I never had fruit from it , lots of flowers all the time and very small fruit then they fall off . It is my only tree to do that . Finicky I guess . Have a fantastic night and I hope there was a lot of progress with the basement .

Brian

o

Hi Brian, the Pointer sisters Lol! That is an old one. I am so happy you got to order the Kishu. I ordered one as well and the kaffir line. I expect they will be smaller trees but they are grafted and should grow. I didn't order the star anise. It was $54 and $50 shipping ,even though Dave would have given me a reduction on the shipping. Now I am dreaming about what other citrus I need. I like unusual ones but of course finding different varieties here is difficult. The variegated do seem finicky. Pretty though.
Your dog is probably happy to be hiding out in the basement with you. My dogs are still with the sitter. The workers came yesterday and tore the basement apart put on fans,dehumidifiers and left. They will not be back until Friday. It is very smelly in here and I have asthma so doesn't help. It is going to be a long disruptive process . I spent a lot of the day outside. Am a bit worn out today as well. Getting up at 5.30 didn't help.
Let me know when your tree arrives.
Hope Mike is ok..it looks like the storm is headed in his direction.
Take care Brian. Maggy

o

Good morning Maggy , who left the fridge door open last night was it you? It is cold this morning 64 degrees . But I feel much more alive . How is your dropping lemon doing this morning . When you tip the pot and if it barely budges it means the soil is really wet . Or you can lift it also if it feels really heavy then don't water . If the soil you feel is no good then repot it fast .

Maggy for your next purchase what about a blood orange very different or a centennial kumquat beautiful variagated leaves and they are prolific producers . They are a beautiful tree . Mine died over the winter it was a beautiful about 2 ft cutting . I don't have great luck with cuttings . I prefer mandarins and from reading on this forum the Kishu is supposed to be a great plant for pot and indoor culture . The fruit are supposed to be the best of the best very small but super tasty and sweet.

Maggy what about renting a small trailer and park it in your lane way , you can just use it for sleeping while all this work is going on . Explain to your insurance company you have extremely bad asthma and I am sure they will cover the price .

Hope you have a great day . Taking the dog to the vet for annual check up . I think there are a few garden centers on the way . Enjoy this nice cool spell while it lasts .

Brian

o

Hi Brian, thanks for the info about watering . The pots tip easily and don't feel heavy but I tried the dowel in the soil and it comes out wet. I usually fertilize them on Fri. Should I wait until they dry more? The lemon tree is no longer droopy but I am not happy with the fussy variegated one. I told it today that if it didn't smarten up I was going to throw it away. I will likely need some advise once it is time to bring them in. I think that will be the biggest challenge for me ,but I know others do it.
It has gotten cooler for sure. It is much more comfortable but the trees will not be impressed.
Glad you are feeling better today. Surprising what a good night's sleep can do.
Thanks for the recommendations regarding which tree to buy. I also read that the Kishu was excellent.
Well I finally called the restoration company about the smell. They came and you won't believe what the problem was. They removed the toilet downstairs but forgot to cap the sewage and had a fan blowing on it. We had to call them on Tue .because they blew out our hot water heater pilot light and we had no hot water. I am very good natured usually but this kind of riled my Nova Scotia temper. I know things happen but I am going to be more vigilant as I have lost some faith in their ability .and this was just the clean up phase. Sorry for the rant .
Going to get my dogs now as they have been at the sitter's for two days getting more spoiled. They go to the groomer tomorrow. What kind of dog do you have?
Can't wait until we get our trees, Hope you are happy with yours.
Have you heard from Mike? I hope he is o.k. .the storm is worrisome. And I am thinking of him.
Have a great day and enjoy your vacation. Maggy

o

Oh my goodness Maggy that is frickin unbelievable , I don't blame you for being so upset . Trust me I know all about that Nova Scotia temper my bum will never forget it . My mom was from Cape Breton . You have to wonder what was worse the storm with the flood or the repair men , that's sad . No wonder why you couldn't breath .

About over wintering inside the house Mike would be the person to talk to . I have tried in the past and I was told never again . What a mess all of the ants , spiders which I don't mind but they belong outside and all of the sticky stuff the trees and the scale secrete . Maggy that sticky stuff is almost impossible to remove and if you get it on your walls you will have to repaint . I would highly suggest a small greenhouse . This is were my problem starts we made a deal I am allowed to buy the trees but they have to be able to fit in the greenhouse because they are definitely not allowed in the house and I really have no more room in there .

My pup appointment is at 5 30 PM , poor little guy . He is not to fussy about going and I don't blame him with all those needles poking him . I don't know who is going to pass out first me or him . I really am not looking forward to 5 30 . My dog is Italian , he is a white Maltese , know wonder why he loves eating spaghetti . What types are your dog's. Enjoy your evening.

Brian

o

Hi Brian,
It is amazing isn't it that something like that could happen. I can't believe your mother was from Cape Breton. I actually grew up on a little island off Digby Neck in a lighthouse. It is such a small world.
Now Brian I have been doing a lot of thinking. We have a 3 season sunroom that is approx 20x10 feet. It has 14 single pane windows with lots of light but not much sun. It has vinyl siding,no insulation Would that be something I should consider heating and using supplementary lighting to over winter my citrus. Not sure how I would heat it and how warm it has to be. It has ceiling lights that can be positioned so could hold grow lights or we can get something installed. On the other hand our living room has a huge window and gets 5-6 hours of sun. I am concerned about how I will keep these plants happy in the winter. I am sure someone here will have some advice. When you suggest a small greenhouse ,do you mean one already made. Are they expensive? What about heating? What temperature does it need to be in the winter? Does it need to be in the sun?
My husband will not be happy about all the plants inside the living room ,especially if there are bugs etc. I haven't told him I ordered two more,which will bring my total to 7 and I haven't gone shopping yet.
My dogs like our vet. Maltese are beautiful. I have two very spoiled,loveable shih tzu

I know it isn't appropriate to post them here so I will remove them after you see them.
Good luck at the vet. Thanks again for all the info. Maggy
Sent from my iPad

o

Dam..I didn't have time to read everything you all but I can tell you that those a a cute darn couple of dogs..lol
Are they hanging upside down?
Now those are dogs woth remarkable feats..hahahha

I am glad you are all ok with the storms..It was my turn today! LOts of hail with more on the way..They canceled all the fireworks for tomorrow because in will come inches of rain and storms..Oh boy, bring them on..My trees will love that along with the frog and me..I'll be dancing out there with the plants and frogs..

By the way, just about any tropical does awesome in teh 5.1.1 mix...I have all mines planted in it unless I was lazy and still owe it to a few trees to repot..Not a one of my tree, citrus that is are in anything but the 5.1.1 or a variation of of...FERTILIZER is the key and I can't express it enough..You must stick to a good fertilizer regimen..

I have hundreds of tropicals and you are right..More citris than anything though and then next comes fragrant orchida and then jades.

Brian and Maggy, please be safe and watch those bugs ann horrible winds..Here is a pic for you..Now what do you suppose this frog is doing? lol

photo image_zps1b45521a.jpg

o

Lol. Mike , well Maggy said I have a terrific imagination . Definitely a boy frog but there is only one way to find out , you have to kiss it and maybe it will turn into a hot chick with lots of money . Happy 4th Mike . Sounds like the weather is going to be a challenge but you like it that way . I hope the plants made out alright with all that hail . All the nice things mother nature can do to us , got to love her. Stay safe Mike.

Maggy aren't they sweet . Looks like a hand full. Are they Mommy's baby's or Daddy's baby's . They are so cute . I would say they are Mommy's , they look as spoiled as mine. My poor baby made out OK better than are wallets did . They gave him 3 needles today ouch.

Maggy your 3 season sounds pretty good . Is it attached to a patio door that you could leave open to heat . Are there any heaters in there now? A 20x10 is alot of space , your going to need it when the trees become trees . They do become very large . You will probably need alot of heat to heat a 3 season , they are not very well insulated . But your 3 season sounds like it would be great because you have a ceiling fan really need that for air circulation and you have lighting installed another great asset . Maggy I set my thermostat at 55 degrees in the greenhouse but on the coldest days I am sure the temperature never reach's 40 degrees . Having a smaller greenhouse would be cheaper on hydro but eventually you will have to stop buying trees . I no all about limited space in a small greenhouse but I still buy . Greenhouse's are not that expensive mine cost me $600 about 9 years ago . I hope I don't sound all over the place tonight . Have a terrific evening Maggy .

Brian

o

Hi Mike, Happy 4th of July. I hope hurricane Arthur has not done too much damage and that you are safe and no damage to your trees I know you love storms though. That is an awesome picture of the frog . As to what he is doing? I am sure Brian's imagination will be able to answer that LOL! Too funny. You guys make me laugh so hard. I apologize for so many questions ? Do you feed your tropicals Dyna Gro on a regular basis as well if they are in 5-1-1. Mix. I would suspect a lower ratio?
Your trees are so beautiful . Enjoy your day and celebrations. I know some events are cancelled.
Brian.thanks for all the info about overwintering my plants. So you think my sunroom will work even though it doesn't have sun. I will have to get some kind of stronger grow light . Maybe even a shop light to hang. I don't have a ceiling fan but do have a portable one. Also will need some kind of heater. I think the greenhouse will not happen( my husband isn't handy but don't tell him Lol! ) .so would have to get someone to help me assemble it. Any suggestions for kind of light and heater. Do I understand you correctly that the trees will do o.k. at 50 degrees. For some reason I thought they needed to be warmer inside. The sunroom has a door that opens into our dining room so could open it at night.
My dogs! Was the picture upside down?It looks o.k.here. They are Mommy's babies. I am with them all the time .but they love my husband too. They are spoiled a bit but then it is just the reward for all the joy and unconditional love they bring to us.
I think we own a share in our vets business. . They sure are expensive.
Update on our basement saga. When my husband go home yesterday and discovered they had thrown a piece on plastic and a rag over the open sewage drain he lost it. He called the company and I have never heard him so angry. He refused to have the same workers in our house. This morning at 7. 30 a. m.a plumber came and put a proper cap on the drain. Unbelievable that we had sewage gases being blown through the house for 3 days and we were breathing those gases. My husband threatened to call the dept. of health.
Got to take the dogs for haircuts soon. They will be handsome after that.
Thanks again Brian and Mike for all your expertise and for sharing. Maybe someday I will be able to help someone else. Take care. Maggy

o

Hi Maggy how do your baby's look . They are so cute . Are they from the same litter ? How nice 3 days of poison I don't blame your husband , I would have been hopping mad . Crazy stuff Maggy . Was there any work done on your basement today ? Maggy I was a good boy today , I went shopping for soil which I did not find but did find some citrus . The store was Rona and they had red navel , navel , murcott mandarin , and Meyer lemon . They were not grafted . I did not buy any . I think I am cured lol. Do you guys have Rona hardware stores in Windsor ? I believe they are right across Canada .

Now that you have the pup's looking beautiful you will have to take them for a nice walk and show them off. My little boy put in a rough night , he was in a lot of discomfort from all the needles .

Sorry Maggy I did not know your 3 season sun room did not receive any sun at all . Is it tinted or clear . Sunshine supplies not only light but heat also . Heating might be a challenge but then again you live in Windsor which is not even as half as cold here . Maybe just a 1500 W heater will do and I would maybe leave the dining room door open at night . I set the heater for 55 but the temperature never reach's that in the greenhouse at night . They seem not to mind . But on sunny days it can reach into the 70s and they really love that . In very sunny winter's my trees will start to flower in the beginning of February .

Have a wonderful night you 2

Brian

o

Maggy same to you! OI hope your weather was better than mine...It was dark and gloomy all day but we did get much needed rain..I can't remember the last time it rained that hard all day, felt like fall on a 4th of July...
This has been quite a strange year here..It been feeling like fall and then to hot to take..I wonder if frost will visit us by August? I think so(

Yes, the tropicls are all fed Foliage Pro since it is a very univwersal formula and so easy to use..It works on all my plants..Yes, except for those I have been too lazy to repot, all the plants are either in the 5.1.1, gritty, of some varieation of it..None are ever planted into a bagged mix right out of the bag unless it's made from 'Farfard'..)

Now that frog was actually trying to lift that stone from it's path..Can you believe that? It did not like the stone sitting their instead of him, so he lifted it and tossed it into the pond..Heck, I couldn't believe it..lol

Brian..You guys must be excited about that, being able to get your hands on those trees! I now have two and I love them!

How is the Pro-mix holding upi for you these days? Be careful about fertilizing..Make sure you fertilize less than what is suggested here in porous mixes and flush your mix at least once a month with fresh water..That should help alleviate any salt toxitity issues...

Made it through safe and thanks for that! I hope your weather is doing ok..I will tell that once this storm cleared out of here this morning, it felt like fall..It was gross..
The dew point for days was at 70 or better and then a huge drop within hours to below 40 today..I am wearing a sweat shirt at work..lol

MIke

o

Mike, glad to hear you are o.k. And the storm has passed. My family in Nova Scotia said they are getting the high winds and rain today. Sorry to hear it is so cold. The weather here has been very nice,warm during the day and cool at night. I just loved that picture of your frog.
I need to get the rest of my citrus and tropicals in the 5-1-1 mix. The nursery mixture is staying really wet and I don't like it. Thanks for the info .
Brian yes my babies are sooooooo cute after their haircuts. The darker one Teddy is 3 and Buddy is 2 . I got them from the same breeder ,except that she rescued Buddy from someone who was not caring for him properly and I took him. They both gave great personalities. Has your puppy recovered from his trauma. Poor little baby.
Funny I was at Rona yesterday. They don't have citrus here but good for you that you resisted buying the trees. I am going to buy only something I really want. After next week,I will have 7 already. I am going to limit my self to 10.
Now I have a real dilemma about over wintering my trees inside. I am totally confused. Some say cool temperature,low light for winter. Others say heat and extra light . It is true my 20x10 ft sunroom doesn't have much sunlight except late in the day . So would I keep them in there with a heater and no grow lights. My living room has a heating vent on both sides of the big sunny window but then I worry about leaf drop,bugs etc. I have been reading every old post on here I can find . I did have a large calamondin and a Meyer lemon that. I killed in the past.. I also have a spare bedroom ,sunny but with a smaller window and a ceiling fan but I can keep it cool I am actually thinking about getting a small green house. Would something like this picture work.? Mike I think I saw somewhere that you have something like this. Our winters are usually fairly mild. Sorry for the long monologue. I really want to provide conditions that will be optimal for the trees but I don't know what to do.
Brain it finally happened. This morning I told my husband I wanted to put a greenhouse in our front yard or put grow lights in the living room. He went a bit crazy " no way" I was joking . I could put it in the back yard by the pond. All my tomato's grow well there so I think there is enough sun. and there is a plug there for the pond filter.
The house situation keeps getting worse.we got the sewage drain capped but yesterday I turned on the washer that they reconnected and they neglected to reconnect the drain so the water went all over the basement . I demanded a qualified plumber .now the basement has to dry out again.Today the hot water tank was leaking so we got that fixed. I think blowing up the house would be a solution.
I apologize for asking so many questions . Have a great week- end Maggy

o

Maggy Maggy Maggy congratulations you made me laugh so hard to put it politely made me fluff . A greenhouse in the front I am amazed you are still alive to tell the story . Also I am only going to buy a maximum of 10 trees hahahahahaha .

Maggy when I think I heard it all , they did not hook up the hose to the drain from your washer , double WOW . Well Maggy they say bad stuff comes in 3s , how many is this? I kind of had a day like that yesterday . Cooking fajitas on the barbecue , after every thing was done I placed everything on a tin plate and placed that on a bread board , didn't the tin plate go sliding right of the bread board and all over my patio. Let me tell you there are a lot of ants walking around today with heart burn. Nothing went right placed ice cubes in 2 drinks of Pepsi , didn't the Pepsi rise and go over both glasses until there was no drink left in the cup . We were going to go to a movie last night but we decided against it , because we were wondering what else could go wrong . Of coarse all miner compared to what is happening to you.

Maggy I used to have a greenhouse many years ago . I used to pile snow all around an over it to keep it insulated ,it did work . Ah those were the days . Maggy what is the coldest temperature you will get in the winter and for how long? I am rambling Maggy help me .

When I used to have citrus in the house , I would leave the heat off and plants in front of a window. I tried with heating the room and all I ended up with we're a lot of spider mites . For me the trees didn't like it . If you use your 3 season you will have to heat and supply some lighting if no sun . You don't have to heat like crazy as long as the temperature is around 55 .

I hope you have a better Sunday Maggy . I am off next week and they say it is supposed to be cool, oh no. Have a fantastic night and thanks for the laughs . Here's to looking forward to next week and our new trees , so excited .

Brian

o

Maggy Don't waste your money on a greenhouse like the one above. You are to far north for the quality and quantity of sunlight you will need to avoid monster heating bills. I do my citrus trees in the basement inside closed reflective containers under 20 CFL's at 15 watts each. The trees heat up to 80-90 degrees and grow mor in the winter than I ever get in summer growth. The waste heat from the bulbs will do a fine job of warming the unheated sun room.

See pics of my setup. While what I did will not work perfect for you, it will have ideas for you to work from.

2 story grow box with citrus and veggies growing photo IMG_4916_zps4999f440.jpg
2 story grow box for citrus and veggie starts. Beet are growing for their greens on the 1st floor. this heats the roots of the citrus trees on the 2nd floor.

bucket lights with sweetlee, nagami, meiwa, hardy chicago, and M11 photo IMG_4588_zps6da708d7.jpg
For your smaller trees you can use foil lined 5 gallon buckets to 35+ gallon trash cans. I use one light in a ceramic fixture in the bottom of the top bucket.

KUMQUAT GROWER COMPONENTS--POTTED TREE TO LEFT--ROOT VACUUM CHAMBER TO RIGHT USES VACUUM CLEANER--- -  TREE GET PLACED IN STEEL CAN AND VACUUM HOSE GOES IN HOLE IN LOWER CAN photo IMG_3594_1_zps8cf4e968.jpg
My Meiwa kumquat tree next to it's bucket light. As the tree grows I lengthen the legs.

If you paint your sun room bright high gloss white you can use the entire room as a grow box and feed yourselves all fall, winter, and spring on 1000 watts in CFL's along with your citrus trees as I am now doing each winter in my basement. Check the link below Plastic film is the worst thing to use for greenhouse efficiency

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/wreristhechimney/slideshow/sunshine2013

o

Maggy. You poor thing and Brian. Sheesh. Lol. No three's for me yet. Although I did have a one.
The wind knocked my orange tree over and sent the oranges rolling down my street. The dog grab two and squashed them.

Good luck with the water Maggy.

Listen. If you keep that room cool it will be perfect. No electricity and no bugs. The leaves will hang on and your trees will just rest if the temp drops below 55. If above 55. They will be fine too. As long as you don't over water in which that mix will help you a lot.
If you find that you are losing leaves, it's not always a bad thing. Its the tree way serving through the winter and will review them back as long as you don't over water.
You may even loose a few branches but it will bounce back in spring.

As long as you use a good mix and watch your watering, you won't be killing the roots while the tree finds a way to strategize.

Maybe you can pull some ideas from Steve's set up. Extra light and warmth will certainly keep your trees active all winter too. I prefer to give them rest or just natural all day sun if I can from a south facing window.

Brian too also made some great points. I grow like he does when it comes to winter and have the same reasons.

A greenhouse like that won't go beyond a couple of years of two because of the material and the weight of snow if you should get some. But it is great to putting your tres out much earlier and bringing them in much later than usual. That would be great

Mike

o

Thank you Brian,Mike and Steve for sharing all your expertise and experience. One can get very confused with the "overwintering" dilemma so my understanding is one can keep their trees actively growing in the winter by proving heat and lots of light. Or one can place their citrus in a cold room around 55 degrees with less light and let them rest.of course I gave lots of questions but I won't ask them all at once or I will bore you to death..
Steve you have quite an innovative setup there and obviously it is working well for you. Thanks for the pictures and explanation. Lots to think about
Brian and Mike I see your trees look great. I think I will use the sunroom with a heater to keep it at the right temperature. The floor is laminate and likely very cold. Would it help to put some kind of rug/carpets under the pots to keep them from being too cold. I have 14 windows so lots of light and little direct sun but suspect I will need to add supplement lighting. I have 4 overhead lights that can be adjusted to different positions. Would ottlite grow lights 75 watts ( 950 lumens) be useful or do I need something much stronger. If I keep my trees cold what will happen to the fruit that is on the trees. My understanding is also that I keep them in the 5-1-1 mix,water sparingly and feed 1/4 tsp dynaGro with each watering. I guess I am wondering if they are resting in the cooler temperatures do I need to give them extra light at all.? I can see it is a balancing act and what works for one may not work for another. Steve has success with his method and your method seems to work for you.
I have more questions about extending the time outside but will leave that for later.
Brian I am glad you had a good laugh. My husband freaked out when I mentioned "jokingly" that the front yard had so much sun I think I will put a greenhouse there. I know,limiting myself to 10 trees might not happen.
Sounds like your day had a lot of challenges. Isn't it strange how when one thing goes wrong it goes downhill. And Mike your poor tree I can imagine how you felt.
. We decided to try and get out of the disaster mode. Went out last night to play cards with friends and today went to the country to get fresh fruit and vegs and the dogs enjoyed the outing,especially when we had ice cream.
Brian our trees will be on their way soon. Can't wait. I need to get my other trees replanted before they arrive. Well enough for now. Maggy

o

Brian Mike. I have a chance to buy this greenhouse from a guy for $400. It comes with an insulated floor and he will move it for me so I won't have to assemble it. I am going to look at it. What do you think? I am pretty excited about it and my husband even agreed to buy it for my birthday. I think he doesn't want the trees in the house Lol! Since I know nothing about greenhouses I though I would ask for your opinion. Maggy

o

Maggy that looks perfect . From what I see it looks like a 6x8 . Same size as mine . Maggy what is a insulated floor very curious , I would buy one for mine . Not a bad price see if you could talk him down a little more . Looks like there is no rust. How old is it ? Even at $400 I would probably buy it just for the fact I would not have to assemble it . That's the way to go Maggy it's a nice greenhouse and you do not have to assemlble it , another big plus . Now the only thing you have to worry about like I do is a power failure on a real cold day . With a greenhouse you will see the trees will become Hugh . Glad you had a nice day yesterday . You have to get out of the house once and awhile and have a little fun. My dog loves the car to. Pretty soon you will not have to go out for fruits. I am off this week and we are supposed to have rain on and off until Wednesday , icky . New plants coming in a few days excited . They were supposed to be shipped out this morning . Ya Hooo . Talk to you latter , have a nice day .

Brian

o

Maggy you would think at my age I would know how to spell huge . Maggy I forgot to mention with a greenhouse you will not need lighting , you will need a fan for circulation and a 1500 W heater . You will save on the heating , it will cost you less to heat a 6x8 GH than a 10 x 20 3 season sun room in the shade . It will save you money in the long run. Not to mention all those creepy crawlers , my dog loves chasing after those .

Talk to you later

Brian

o

Hi Brian.. It is 6x8 . He bought it last year and just used it for the winter. Says he retired and wants to travel so doesn't need it. Now he says he built the floor,plywood covered in something. I am going to see it at 1 o' clock so I will find out. Getting it in my backyard might be a challenge as I have a wooden fence with a 4 ft. Wide gate.. Maybe I could put it in the front yard haaaaaaaa. Thanks for answering . I understand I need a heater and I have a fan. I didn't think I needed a light and how many hours does it need to be on.. I thought I just needed the sun. LOL! So much to learn. What kind of light ? How do you plug all those things. I guess a power bar would work and I have an outdoor plug by the pond. Do you keep your plants in there all winter? I have so many questions. Oh! If my trees could look half as good as yours or Mikes and Steve has some nice ones with his setup.so I have gone from ideas of growing in the living room,to an unheated sunroom to a greenhouse. Goodness! Never thought I would be considering this. Yes our trees should be on their way. If I get the greenhouse I think I won't be getting more trees this year. Unless I buy them and just hide then in the greenhouse. Maggy

o

Maggy..Just so you understand citrus trees and how they react in winter will help you decide what to do,,

They don't require FULL all day sun in order to just survive, hold back from growing, drop leaves, or die..

They do require lots of sunliht and supllimental if puhing groth for the winter..Bugs are a persistent issue this way..Will also require fertilizer..

If you would like them to barely grow, stay green, have no pest issues,and just hold on to the fruit intil growing season starts up again, and they will hold on to their fruit, keep at cooler temps, mostly below 60 and they will do just fine.. A fan blowing towards the the leaves..

At just room temps, normal temps as you said you would probably have, all you will need is good light and all those widows are fine enough...

The Greenhouse needs no supplimental lights and the sun will do just fine...Just heat and fans will do wonders..

I do not fertilize all winter and I do use Foliage Pro..

o

Maggy you are going to love the GH . You can grow your tender vegetables like tomatoes and green peppers that need lots of heat in there in the summer and you will not have any blemishes on them . Maggy all you need is a heater one with a thermostat that will shut off at the temperature you set it at . Handy for when the sun does shine's , the heater will most likely shut off when the sun's on the GH . You will need a good quality high Guage extension cord one that will at least take 1600 watts because you have the heater and fan , and a good quality power bar. You will need to water , do you have a retractable hose you could use from inside your house to the GH? You can buy an adapter to hook up to any faucet in your house . Just dont get those guys who wore working on your basement to set that up . You might also need a blow torch to melt the ice that forms around the door track .That's a beautiful greenhouse you should show it off in the front yard .

Brian

o

Maggy

1) It will probably cost less to heat your 10 ft by 20 foot sun-room than the greenhouse.

2) Inexpensive heating pads can be used to keep the pots warm (70F )

3) using lights to heat the room will provide all the light for growth and health.

4) Ceiling fan on low will provide all the air movement needed.

5) You and your spouse can throw out your sleeping pads and bags in the room among the citrus flowers and pretend you are on a get-away-excursion after a hard week of work.

6) You will be amazed at how much heat to bodies can put out over night.

7) Don't forget about the carbon-di-oxide you'll give the plants.

8) imagine the Smores you can make over an electric burner, NO MOSQUITOES.

9) Micro greens, fresh peppers, cherry tomatoes, eggplant, basil, arugula, spinach, broccoli, snap beans, and all the veggi starts to make you the envy of the neiborhood when yo pick your first bigboy tomato in early June.

10) After all this your husband will not question your gardening needs

Steve

o

Thank you Steve,Brian and Mike for your encouragement and advise. I appreciate it very much and I have the greatest respect for your wisdom.
Steve ,I am beginning to think you have a vivid imagination like Brian's . Your comments about what I could do in my growing room are hilarious. Probably would be fun and maybe my husband would be happy about my citrus obsession.
Mike,I understand that you use your greenhouse to keep your plants at a low temperature in winter and they do not actively grow during this time. Brian do you do the same as Mike or do you keep yours actively growing. So you don't fertilize at all in the winter?
I went to see the greenhouse and the pictures did not do it justice. It is beautiful. I imagine my self in there in the middle of the winter,in a lawn chair drinking a margarita amongst my citrus trees. Oh! My! I saw a greenhouse exactly like it last week at Lowe's for $899 ( picture included) and that didn't
include taxes ,the insulated platform or setting it up.
My luck has changed. Last week felt like we were doomed.now I am so fortunate. Of course I bought it and it is being set up on Sat. Morning at 8am.
Brian ,he built a plywood platform,put insulation on the bottom and covered it with some kind of tape. What a lovely couple. They bought this greenhouse last year and you should see the tomato's .I swear they are 10 feet tall,covered in ripe tomato's .they had never gardened before. The flowers they grew are amazing. I am just so excited. Now I just have to figure out whether to keep my trees active or dormant .It will be a new experience and I hope I don't bug you all too much for advise too often. I promise I will get it right eventually. I can hardly contain my excitement. He also had a light ,metal halide I think with bulb,reflector and ballast but wants $300 for it. I didn't buy it but if I need something I am sure there are cheaper options. My backyard has some sun,hope it is enough. A lot of the trees will have shed their leaves so it will be less sheltered. I still have the sunroom if I fill the greenhouse with trees LOL , so much for a limit of 10 trees. Sorry for my ranting. Someday I will be showing you my beautiful trees filled with fruit.
Maggy

o

Maggy..I saw this greenhouse and I just about fell off my chair!! Yahoo..You will love having that, trust me..All you have to do is keep it abover freezing and you are GOLDEN...That's so cool..I didn't have time to read everything else here at work, but I will be back...

Mines look almost like that..They are VERY durable and wil withstand your winters for sure...Mine is 3 years old and still looks like new..

Listen, make sure you get yourself a good fan, preferrably black, a good couple of spacde heaters, a an auot vent opener, hook to hand things up on, and a few shelves. That company should provide that all..

While it you are at it..Look at pool supply companies and keep your eyes open for sales...You will need a Solar Pool Cover, a thick see through one, it looks like bubble wrap that will save you heat and tons of money come winter...It will insulate that house more than you know..For me, the best investment I ever made .

Just awesome..

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 16:16

o

Maggy I am so excited for you WoW . Your fortune has changed . All the bad stuff is behind , ok maybe just a little bit . There is only one way up and your off to a great start . You will get lots of fruit and you will actually be able to eat them and they will taste better than anything you can buy at the supermarket . Wait till you try those limes in your margarita's simply amazing .

Maggy I greenhouse grow my citrus the exact same way Mike does , by the way Hi Mike . I set my thermostat at 55 degrees , I am lucky to hit 45 degrees if it is cloudy and cold like last winter . I sometimes have to fertilize a bit at the end of February if my trees start blooming . That only happens if the winter is exceptionally sunny and it does happen. Maggy just like when the trees are outside you will have to make a watering schedule . I water on every second Sunday and I am not joking when I say I need a blow torch to get in the greenhouse . My doors are facing east the wrong way , I would suggest you face your entrance facing south so your door doesnt freeze up .

Congradulations Maggy your playing with the big boys now. Your going to love your new greenhouse as much as we do.

Maggy at my age all I have left is my imagination lol.

Brian

o

Hi Brian, just heard from Mike. You guys are awesome. I can hardly contain my excitement. It is so nice to share it with people who are so enthusiastic and understand the joy we get . I agree about the imagination . That is one thing about being "more mature" we developed an appreciation for the humour we can depict in every day life. Sweet!
I have 38 limes on my tree,two oranges and maybe 20 lemons. Babies but still. I realize some of them will drop.
So I am up there with the big boys. Yahooooooo! This is going to be quite an adventure.so much I don't know but exciting to learn new things.
We just got a weather warning,thunder storms,high winds,maybe hail. I just brought my trees inside. Maybe not necessary but not taking any chances. Both my dogs are here and Teddy in on my lap shaking like a leaf. No pun intended.
Usually our winters are much milder than your' or Mike's I think both your climates are similar to what I was used to in Halifax. Windsor is the most southern point in Canada ( Point Peele) with the exception of this past year.
That should be an advantage. Most winters we barely have snow and if we do it disappears quickly. Brian do you use lights in your greenhouse? Mike said he does not.
I really don't like the soil my three trees are in. It is wet and heavy. I have to get them out of there soon. I am so fortunate to have the advantage of your experiences and helps me avoid some mistakes. I am sure I will make some.
Maggy

o

I find all this very interesting. I have chosen a path to deal with winter totally different from everyone else but Tcamp30144. She to appears to be doing the light bucket system. I hope thing go well for both methods of growing.

Steve

o

Hi Steve . It is interesting . I can see you are having great success . So it seems there is success with both methods. It is a dilemma .I do appreciate your advise and I hope you do not feel that I took it lightly. I have decided for now to try the cooler temperature and see what happens. I will be looking forward to hearing how your plants are doing and respect your views and input. Thanks and always like hearing from you. Maggy

o

Maggy it is so nice to help you . You are an extremely nice person and so is Mike . It is very hard to find today nice persons like yourselfs . This has truly been a pleasure for me . Anytime we can help we will be there either in words or pictures . Mike and I will get you through this, don't worry .

Maggy I do not use a light . There is much more light in the GH even on a cloudy day then is inside the house. The only problem that might arise is that your trees are going to become so large that they will start to block out the light to your smaller trees . That's not for a couple of years. Your fruit should not fall off when you bring your trees in the GH. A GH is the next best thing to having the trees outside.

Oh Maggy bragging about how beautiful your winters are compared to ours , well your right , I think we are the coldest capital city or second coldest in the world, how nice is that

Brian

o

Brian. I am cooking my husband a prime rib dinner. How is that for appreciation. I have to keep him happy. Thank you so much for your kind words. You and Mike are so kind as are others on here .i will try not to be a pest but will call on you and Mike for advise.this is such a great forum and I am so glad I joined here. I know sometimes in life we meet people who are narsicistic and self serving but I have" weeded my garden" of these people. Life is too short for that and it is nice to meet genuine people who care. Your the best. Maggy

o

Oh Maggy how we think alike through their stomachs . We are conniving .How did you know our favorite food is prime rib .Our flight will arrive in a hour . Thank you also for your kind words , we will be there for you . I hope everybody there made it through the storms , calling for big ones tomorrow . Have a nice night.

Brian

o

Hi Brian, thank you so much. I appreciate all your help.You are too late for dinner. The prime rib was delicious. So tender. My husband loves it too maybe a little conniving! .I often buy it on sale and have it in the freezer. I can see why you both like it.
My husband is afraid I will spend all my time in the greenhouse .i have another hobby as well. I am a hooker. A rug hooker that is. I belong to a group that meets every two weeks and we make rugs from wool ,like the Acadians used to make. I dye my own wool,cut it and hook with it. Very relaxing. Perhaps I can do it in my greenhouse. Retirement is wonderful. So much freedom to express one's self without worrying what anyone thinks.
Have a great night Brian .Maggy

o

Good morning Maggy a beautiful warm morning here, they are still calling for some pretty nasty thunderstorms late this afternoon.

Maggy I can't believe what I am reading your a HOOKER ? I knew it would take just a little time for your big secret to come out . It is amazing how accepting people are now . Your still A OK with me . :) Funny stuff Maggy .

It is going to be a really good week for you Maggy , a new greenhouse and some new trees to go with it. Very exciting.

Prime rib is without a doubt my most favorite . I also pick it up when it is on sale , that's the only way I can afford it . I have one in the freezer I might just have to cook it this week .

My trees that are in the pro mix are really catching on now . My tango is really starting to go through a major growth flush and the same with my minneola , really nice to see . I don't think I ever ever seen all my trees so green and healthy looking . Must be all the humid weather we are having. Well back to the garden to stare at my trees , I love it .

Have a great morning

Brian

o

Hi Brian, Slept in with the pups today. Must be the dark and dreary weather or I exhausted myself by being so excited about my greenhouse. My husband seems pleased about it but I suspect it is because the trees will not be in the house. I do think it will be a big advantage for the trees though.. Well Brian I am pleased you still except me in spite of my other hobby. Haaaaaa. It is good to have a laugh.
Our trees should be here tomorrow maybe. They will be baby trees that we can watch grow. I think Dave said they didn't have a lot of leaves yet. I know what you mean about staring at your trees. I do that all the time. Isn't it great.
Does you greenhouse get a lot of sun ? I have huge trees in my back yard but a lot of them shed their leaves in the fall.i hope I have enough light.
It is raining so hard here now and humid. I brought all my plants in yesterday and the storm didn't come. What you bet I leave them out today and we will have a major storm. Perhaps they will like it. Teddy is already scared and shaking. Hope you are enjoying your vacation. Have a great day. Maggy

o

Maggy..You have nothing to opologize to at Steve..

If anything, he should opologize for all the times we commend him, and then hardly ever taking the time to acknowledge that..To busy trying to prove his style or methods instead of learning from others. It's k, he is a nice prson despite and very genuine....I'm sure he has not taken offense...

Maggy, why are you bringing your trees in? Because of wind? The rain, well that's another story..It's the best thing you can expose your trees too...

Your greenhouse will get plenty sunlight in there year round, unless of course it is surrounded my pine trees, ever greens...If maple and the like, the sun will find a way to sit in there, especially when the trees go bare..
Much more light than inside for sure...You are so lucky to get a greenhouse...

Brian, new trees? Yahoo. right? lol
I can't wait to see what you got...Please share when you do....

By the way, feelings the same about you two..I am glad to have met you and a few other very close friends here...

IMIke

o

Mike, I just wanted to let Steve know I appreciate that he took time to share his methods but that I am more comfortable with the cooler temperature method. Perhaps I could have been more forthcoming in saying so. Thank you for comments .
I didn't bring my trees in because of rain or wind but we got a weather alert saying we might get hail. I thought surely that will not be good for my trees. Perhaps I am a bit over protective and I don't want to kill them with kindness,
I think the ones in the nursery mix are not drying out and when Friday comes,my feeding day ,they are still wet. Just haven't gotten around to repotting them yet. It won't be a issue with the 5-1-1
I do have pine trees and evergreen in my back yard but lots of maple and others that shed their leaves. So hoping I will get enough light.
Do you use a 1500 w heater with a timer on it? I was wondering if I will be able to plug a heater and fan into my outside outlet with out shorting it out. If I need a light as well that might be a problem. Getting the greenhouse will be wonderful.
There are very nice people here and I am thankful that you and Brian have been so kind and generous in helping me and sharing. Maggy

o

Hi Maggy its raining cats , dogs , frogs, and pollywogs it's really coming down . The pup and I are hiding down in the basement again . I started writing you earlier this afternoon and then I Accidentaly hit a button and lost everything , then I fell a sleep sitting up on the couch . I just love being on holidays . Maggy they are saying were going to have the polar vortex thing again remember last winter. Next week they are calling for 48 at night and the mid sixties in the day . Great our trees are going to go into hibernation .

Maggy before you bring your trees in for the winter you should put up some bubble wrap on the inside walls and the inside roof , that will give you a little insulation . My greenhouse gets about 5 hrs of sun in the winter , my neighbors house blocks out the morning sun . Yours sounds like it will be in a sweet spot in your backyard getting lots of sun in the winter, trees will be no problem after they loose their leaves .

Here's hoping for some nice looking trees tomorrow maybe , they did say 3 to 5 work days . Maybe with this cold weather coming I might just place it into the greenhouse until it warms up.

Keep me posted on your new trees

Hi Mike I hope you are doing fine . I hope you guys don't get this polar vortex thing like we will be getting mid next week . I am very excited about the new tree , I am pacing back and forth waiting for the stork to deliver my new baby .

Have a nice night Maggy and Mike.

Brian

o

Hi Brian, we had that kind of rain this morning.every time I got ready to go out it poured. Eventually it stopped and I managed to do some shopping.then it got real humid. If we get the polar vertex then it will not make our trees happy.
Are you saying you put bubble wrap all over the inside. Won't that block out the sun? I probably won't get more sun than you. I get the morning sun in the front and I have lots of 50 yr old fur,pine,spruce but also lots of trees that lose their leaves. However my herbs,tomato's garlic rhubarb do well back there and I notice morning sun as well as afternoon.
Hope our trees arrive tomorrow but I think it might be Thru. Or Fri. I am anxious too. I think tomorrow I will repot my Meyer and lime , I find the soil holding too much water and don't like it. I only have enough 5-1-1 mix to plant two. Need to get more repti- bark. At $ 25 a bag I buy a bit at a time. Can't find any small bark . Maybe when I am in Toronto.
Yes it is nice being on holidays. I am retired but remember how much I enjoyed being away from my work. Let's you regroup.
Enjoy your evening. You too Mike. Maggy.

o

Hi Maggy. The bubble wrap does not make any difference with the amount of light that will go in your GH . I think just about everybody here on the forum that has a greenhouse lines it with bubble wrap . I believe Mike bubble wraps his . Well worth it Maggy it will save your costs on electricity . With all the money you save you will be able either to buy more trees or prime ribs . It's pretty bad when a prime rib roast costs more than a citrus tree. You really made the right decision by going greenhouse your going to love it.

Have a nice night Maggy . One more storm to go through then bed.

Brian

o

Hi Brian Bubble wrap wow! Interesting. Makes sense . So you know I will have a ton of questions now. Do you buy rolls of bubble wrap in any specific place ,like a packing company etc? In my search I see it comes in different thickness. Does that matter .I assume you tape it somehow to the walls. Do you put it on the ceiling as well? Do you wrap your pots in it during the winter.? Please excuse my lack of knowledge here.
So I need a heavy duty power cord,heavy duty power bar, fan and heater.
Is there a specific heater I should get that I can set at a certain temperature and will a pedestal fan work.? Home Hardware has one on sale with several settings . Do I need timers? So sorry Brian, How do you get humidity in your greenhouse? Watering might be an issue. I like the idea of the coil hose but my kitchen has a tap with a sprayer on it I couldn't attach it. So many challenges but I am sure they will all be resolved. Lots to think about but you and Mike have discovered what works and I have such an advantage from your experience. Can't wait for my greenhouse to get here so I can play some more and dream about my trees all happy in there.
It was sunny early this morning but looking cloudy now. I am going to repot some of my trees today. So are you anticipating receiving your new tree today? I bet you are excited. I am thinking mine may not arrive until tomorrow or Friday . Winnipeg is a long way and if I expect it today I am afraid I will be disappointed.
You are right about the price of prime rib.I always wait until it is on sale and buy two or three for the freezer.
Have a great day and let me know if you get your tree. Thank you for all the advise.Maggy

o

Hello Maggy , cold day here 64 degrees and the wind is howling . Mike mentioned on another post maybe this one about how he almost put sweaters on his trees well I was seriously thinking about that this morning. I was at 2 garden centers this morning and they both had citrus and I walked out of there empty handed , pretty amazing . Well I did buy some potting soil Fofard urban mix , I am not sure if I picked the right one .

Maggy you can buy bubble wrap at a moving supply company . I bought the least thickest but should have bought a slightly thicker wrap . You also need wrap Maggy because your leaves are going to touch the walls and eventually the ceiling and you want to protect them from getting their leaves freezer burnt . Some of my trees leaves burnt because I think the bubble wrap wasn't thick enough . We bought our heater at Costco , they sell the same one every fall . I can't remember the name brand I will find out for you, it is buried at the back of the shed . This heater pivots and has a thermostat so you will not need a timer . It will keep the temperature a what ever your desired temperature is . Watering is always a challenge thank goodness I only do that once every two weeks. I have a portable roll up hose that rolls up inside a case . You will see Maggy that your door might freeze up , never fun. You might want to tape a plastic sheet over the door on the outside to prevent any drafts from getting in there and to stop your door from freezing up.
. I mention about the door freezing up because you mentioned about humidity . It's is the humidity that helps freeze up the door and snow and rain that falls freezes inside the track of the door . You will have to keep that track clean . If it snows remove the snow from the track . If it rains take some paper towel and remove the water before it freezes . The more trees and plants you have in the greenhouse the more humidity you will have in there . By the sounds of things Maggy you will have it like a tropical rainforest like mine soon . My fan has two fans an upper and a lower fan they are stacked . I bought it many years ago at Rona .

No trees yet :-(

Have a great afternoon Maggy . Don't let all this stuff scare you . If I can do it anybody can , it's just another routine you will adapt to .

Brian

o

Hi Brian,
I am a little overwhelmed. But as you say it will become routine eventually. I searched on line and the widest bubble wrap I could find was 24' but I think it comes wider than that. I watched a couple of U Tube video's re putting bubble wrap inside the greenhouse but they didn't explain how to fasten it. I am sure I will figure it out. If you could find out the name of the heater from Costco I will check it out before winter.
I have enclosed a picture of blossoms on my Washington orange. I must be doing something right. I do notice the new growth on my Meyer lemon is curling. It is not dry and no sign of critters. I think it is the soil.
Brian,I can't believe you are walking away from garden centre's empty handed. Good for you. No sign of my trees yet either. Getting anxious for them to arrive .
I am going to make a rhubarb cake as I picked fresh rhubarb last night. Then spaghetti sauce from my fresh tomato's I canned last year with fresh basil from my garden and freshly grated Parmesan .And homemade Italian bread . Oh and a nice bottle of Pinot noir from the Niagara region.
I have one more question that I have been thinking about. It may sound like a ridiculous question but is there a safety issue with having an electrical heater and fan in the greenhouse when you are watering the plants. I am sorry Brian if I seem anxious about all these things and thank you for reassuring me that I can handle it all. Hope I am not driving you crazy.
Nothing happening in our basement. They are coming tomorrow morning with the insurance adjuster to look at it. I miss our family room as it is full of storage right now.
Take care Maggy

o

Maggy I noticed your one more question wasn't what time can you make it over for supper . That sounds so delicious .Barbecue hamburgers for us tonight I will save the prime rib that is in the freezer for when I order another citrus tree . Your husband is going to wonder what is it this time . Maggy I think all bubble wrap comes 2ft wide , it is the quality or thickness you want to look for . I guess what we bought wasn't the best of quality . You will know when you go to buy some , test them squeeze the bubbles you will feel the difference in quality .

When watering Maggy keep the water away from the heater and the fan . I do not have a power bar in my GH . I have been growing in th GH for 10 yrs now and never had a problem . I always rest my cords on top of the pots not on the floor because your floor will become quit wet. Just remember to lift the cord when you are going to water the pot your cords are resting on . Maybe someone else (Mike) could hop in to this conversation about safety because I am curious to . You can't water when you are tired you don't want to Accidentaly water your heater you have to remember where it is at all times .

Maggy what a beautiful picture . You do know what you are doing. That flower must smell amazing . I don't know if it is the flowers or the fruit that give me the most pleasure , they both are pretty equal. Maggy my navel
orange flowers are very white could this be from one of your lemons trees ?

Brian

o

Hi Brian, How rude of me.of course you and your wife can come for dinner. We will be eating around 8. In the meantime I am enjoying a glass of wine.
You are right of course about the blossoms. This morning I moved my plants around and forgot. It was the Meyer lemon. The orange is also in bloom and the lime has two fruit and no new blossoms. But that is a young tree, about a year old .but those blooms smell heavenly.
I found a place in Toronto that sells bubble wrap 1/2'' x 48'' x 250’ - $38.99 . It is big bubbles. Would that be too thick ? My husband thinks 48" would be too difficult install,due to the size. Could you just tell me how you anchor it. Do you use tape? The more I read online the more confused I get . There are always so many views and opinions that I decided to stop reading. My husband also thinks we should put in a power source outside just for the greenhouse. That would be helpful. I don't know how much the plug out there already would support as it was there when we bought the house and it is used only for the pond pump.
Hope your weather warms up. We were 76 today ANC tonight will be 56 . A bit cool but no rain.
No trees arrived today. Sigh! Maybe tomorrow.
Enjoy your hamburgers . I think that is what we will have tomorrow night.
Take care. Maggy

o

Thanks Maggy I should have taken you up on the offer . My hamburgers were so dry we could have used them to play street hockey . At least the rum and Pepsi with a nice slice of lime turned out well. Maggy I think the 4 ft bubble wrap should work out well because I think the side panel and roof panels are 4 ft wide . We have the 2 ft wide bubble wrap and we have to place two strips side by side . That will eliminate alot of taping . I tape the wrap every year because the heat from the summer makes the tape not stick and it all comes down except for the sides . We drilled a hole through the metal at the bottom of the greenhouse and ran the extension through that . Is there not something you can rent that you plug into the outlet and it will measure the current running through your outlet ?
You know Maggy you might not even need the wrap because you guys are alot warmer than we are . Try it without for a year . I would still put plastic over your door .

Have a fantastic night

Brian

o

Brian, sorry to hear about your hamburgers. I have an excellent recipe that turns out moist every time. I just slap them together,throw them in the fridge and take out about an hour before grilling on BBQ. So simple and delicious. I can give you the recipe if you want.
Maybe the trees will come today. Wouldn't that be exciting? It is a beautiful sunny morning and I have already been outside playing with my trees and getting bitten by the misquotes .
You might be right about the bubble wrap,I may not need it . Usually our winters are mild. The man that I brought the greenhouse from didn't use any insulation but then he ran hot forced air from his heated garage directly into the greenhouse. I still have lots of time to decide..
We have someone coming to do some work for us. He wired our kitchen when we redid it so I will ask him about the power outlet. He will know and if it isn't adequate I will get him to install a new one on the outside of the house.
Are you enjoying your vacation? Can't believe you have resisted buying new trees. I still haven't repotted mine . Hope to get it done soon.
I don't have any questions today. LOL! Have a great day. Hi to Mike. Maggy

o

Hello guys anad gals..I hope you are all right! I have no time to read but toi quickly help..
I'll be back later to catch up but I wanted to let you know what cover I use...Inexpensive! The best investment you will make...Hope this helps...)

Get get the right size to slip over yor green house so that all side meet the ground and the bungie cord them on...Easy

MIke

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 12:57

o

Hi Mike, Hope all is well with you. Thanks so much for the info re the solar cover. Sounds like a great idea. I know you are busy but when you get time,I had a couple of questions. I assume you put it on the outside right? How do you fasten it? I think that might be an option .Best wishes Maggy

o

Hello Maggy and Mike . What an outrageously gorgeous day we have going on . One of those days we thank God we are alive and healthy .

Maggy my hamburgers normally turn out pretty good but we had unexpected visitors drop in just as I was barbecuing and I left them for a few minutes unattended and voilà hockey pucks . Maggy I hear people are mixing ground pork with their hamburger meat to make them more juicy , I wonder if this works .
Having my parents for supper tomorrow night , out comes the prime rib for dinner tomorrow . Maggy I took the dog for his walk around 9.00 am and when we got back I went straight into the garden . I just came inside and it is 2.30 , lots of fresh air I Love it . Trees are starting to grow like weeds , I have some major trimming to do to get them back in the greenhouse this fall . I hate doing that but it has to be done , you will see yourself one day .

Maggy still no tree here , double :-( :-( . I sure hope the come tomorrow .

Mike you have my curiosity up and I am sure Maggy's .Is it a clear plastic sheet you place over it then secure it with bungies ? Do you use bubble wrap ? I hope Mike you are having the weather we are having right now . It is so nice to open all the windows and let that beautiful air in . Boy O Boy does fresh air give you an appetite . Hope everything is is going well for you and your Frogs and not to forget your trees

Brian

o

I tell you what really taste good is a mix 2 parts chicken or turkey grounded for patties and mix with 1 part raccoon ground. Normally the raccoon is to strong and gammy to use pure. But ohhhhh what a treat it is with the 2 meats mix and add chopped onions and barbecue sauce.

Meanwhile some thing keeps digging up the Poncirus I have planted next to my meiwa for bend grafting porpoises.

Steve

o

Brian, all this talk of food is killing me...I'll tell you another friend here who has a taste for good food, Josh!

Man, I have yet to cook on a grill...I have never even cooked a hot dog..I wouldn't even know how high to put the fire for that one..What I would love to do is have someone teach me how to make a great tender steak, juicy and tastful..

Oh yeah, citrus...

Yes, that is one huge piece that you drape over the whole house..Then I use the Bungee Cords you get at Home Depot..I think they come 6 to a pak and they are about 3 feet long so they stretch pretty well.
Once the plastic is over the greenhouse, I secure the bungee cord hook on the bottom of the greenhouse where it will grab, under the frame and then connect a couple to each other so they can be pulled over to the bottom of the other side where I hook it again on the bottom frame.
I do this twice near the fron and rear..
Then I use enough cords to wrap from the back to meet the front and then hook again.
This keeps the plastic on securely.

To get in all I do is unsecure the hooked bungess at the front and then lift the plastic to get in..Works like a charm!

Maggy..All you have to do is call the company and ask them what size you will need that will cover your greenhouse completly on all sides...Give them the size of your greenhouse..You might need a hand putting in over the house and removing it, but I do it by myself..It can be a challenge. I find myself laughing at myself when doing it..I seem to end up underneath it trying to find my way out..lol

What's ythis I hear about the Polar Vortex? I knew it. And I knew it would happen on my vacation...
I am a humid warm thunder stormy type of guy and the cool dry weather makes me just depressed..Above all times to hit, on my vacation in a convertable mustang..I hope it's not that chilly to ride to Vermont and New Newhampshire or for the beach..(
We had a huge storm last night which woke me up and I am so glad it poured..My trees were doing the chicken dance this morning...They love the storms.

Hope all is well and you are all prepared for what will be a short lived summer at this rate. Take it while you can. I keep telling people by August we are going to get much unusual cold weather at night and no one believes me..We shall see..I see frost before the end of that month..

MIke

o

Mike, come on over and we will cook you a tender strip loin steak that will melt in your mouth and at the same time teach you . It is so easy.
Brian I have never mixed pork with hamburger. I take a slice of bread and make it into crumbs and add 3 tablespoons milk ,let it sit a few minutes and throw it in the beef with an egg.chopped onions ,dash Worcestershire , salt,pepper and a bit of catsup ,mix and voila! You would never know the bread is there and they are moist and juicy every time. My favourite way to make hamburgers. Sounds like you enjoyed your time outside . It is so refreshing and relaxing. Sometimes we get so busy with life we forget the simple pleasures and the joy they bring.
Now citrus. Mike May I get some clarification please ? Do you run the bungee cord from the
Side across the roof to the other side and then one from front to back across the roof. The roof is pointed so I am unclear about the front to back part and am thinking it would slide off. If I can figure this out it seems like it would be the solution.
I checked the link where you got yours but it seems they will not ship to Canada. So far I have been unable to find it in Canada. But I might find something similar.
I do hope we do not have a " short lived summer" and I couldn't stand another winter like last year. I can always go live in my greenhouse I guess.
Mike are you going on vacation. ? Who will care for your trees? Hope you have a great time. Vermont and New Hampshire are so beautiful.
Brian hope our trees arrive tomorrow. It is difficult to wait .Have a great night.
Both you and Mike. Maggy

o

Hello Mike , I am so jealous your going to be on holidays next week, mine are finished this weekend after 2 weeks it's never long enough dreading Monday . Maggy thinks she cooks the best prime rib but truth be said I do . Maggy cooks the best hamburgers . Maggy that recipe sounds pretty sweet . Mine are similar with the egg , bread crumbs , ketchup , onions and that's it . I will definitely try it your way next time. Steve can you substitute hog jowls for raccoon ? Hope everything is going well Steve . Funny stuff Steve .

Mike my friend have a great vacation , beautiful country , Vermont and New Hampshire . I heard there is a hotel somewhere in New Hampshire that is very haunted , I would love to spend one night there . Maggy is right Mike about the care of your plants when your on holidays, you must have a lot of trust in someone , you are so lucky you have someone you can trust with your plants . Your idea sounds very interesting and probably much easier than hanging bubble wrap . I don't know if I will be able to do it , we placed the GH 2 inches from the fence and we screwed tightly the GH to wooden beams . I really hope it is hot for you but I think your right Mike that we are in for an early frost and early fall . It's very funny all the meteorologist are saying we are in for a warmer than usual fall, here's to hoping. Don't forget to wear your sunscreen and have a great holiday .

Maggy no plant I am so sad hopefully tomorrow

Everybody have a nice night.

o

20 years ago I planted a 10 by 10 patch of corn. I harvest 1 Kg of corn and 48 Kg of raccoon. I did a lot of experimenting on how to best prepare a raccoon. They are rough animal. I finally rested on the 2/3 1/3 chicken to coon formula. Chicken is so flavorless and raccoon is to strong. The final conclusion was I was to grow trees and then kumquats. The kumquats are useless but the Meyer lemons, Tangerine and poncirus grow very well. Only the Meyer lemon is of mature wood and capable of fruiting. Hopefully it will fruit soon. I hope things go well for you.

If the bubble wrap is lined on the inside it will offer much more insulating value as it will not blow around in the wind. I am hoping your green house glazing is a rigid form. They insulate much better if the wind does'nt move the surface like plastic sheets..

Steve

o

I will use this this winter for my trees
Trace

o

Good morning Maggy another fantastic day here. I am going to cry buckets next Monday . I am truly going to miss my garden . I am so used to watering and searching for bugs in my trees , believe it or not I find this so relaxing . I am sure my trees will be happy I am going back , I think they are getting tired of me washing them everyday . Oh well not that many years to retirement and I do have a week's holiday left in August . I can smell the prime rib now hardly wait . Hopefully plants will come in today . Have a fantastic day in the sun Maggy. Oh there was a bird trying to make a nest in my Valencia tree , bad enough bugs now birds . Then there was a big branch broken on my Page , I guess some 4 legged visitors at night .

Steve funny story . Yes the bubble wrap is placed on the inside of the GH , taped up with packing tape . The only problem in the winter is it gets very humid in the GH and the bubble wrap starts to come down from the ceiling not the sides . Trying to retape is almost impossible because the ceiling becomes very wet , a real pain .

Tcamp very nice GH your trees will love you for it . You will not loose any more fruit they don't drop their fruit when you bring them in a GH . Now your going to start enjoying winter a little more .

Maggy as I am writing this just received a text tree came in . We had it delivered to a friends work because we were not sure if we were going to be home . SO EXCITED . Yours will be coming to .

Brian

o

Maggy I have just seen a texted picture of my new baby . Looks fantastic , almost as beautiful if not as beautiful as the trees we bought at Home Depot very nice .

You will be very happy .

Brian

o

Brian . My trees just arrived also. They are so cute. Here they are. I watered them and put them in the shade. Not sure if I should repot them right away or wait until they recover from the shock of travelling. It is exciting for sure . It looks like they were grafted only 3 months ago and look delicate. Dave did a good job of packing them . My new little babies. So sweet!
I can understand your not wanting to return to work . I remember that same feeling and my husband still works and he feels the same as you. He hates to go back to work after vacation and on Mondays. Retirement is great,but you wonder how you used to find time to do everything.
It is a gorgeous day here as well. My trees have been fed this morning bad pampered.
Now do you really think your prime rib is better than mine. I think not! LOL,! You know those are pretty strong words Brian. You enjoy your dinner tonight with your family. Sounds like fun. We are having BBQ hamburgers tonight and will sit on the patio and enjoy the evening. The milk with the fresh bread crumbs really make the hamburger moist. I thought it was odd at first but only do them that way now.
Steve we have a problem in Windsor with raccoons invading backyards. The city has a program to relocate them. Maybe they relocate them to you. Haaaaaa.
Trace. What a nice greenhouse. You must be as excited as I am to have one this winter. It looks like you are in a zone similar in climate to mine. Will you insulate with bubble wrap or solar blanket? I am having fruit drop from my lime. As Brian says the greenhouse will prevent that.
Mike. How exciting for you to be going on vacation. I hope you have great weather and a great time. I imagine you have left your trees in good hands. Just have fun . You deserve it and I know you will savour every moment.
Well I have to go and clean up the back yard and find a spot for my greenhouse which will arrive tomorrow morning at 8 am.. I will be playing out there all day tomorrow and imagining all the plants happy in there in the winter. Take care everyone. Warmest wishes Maggy

o

Brian, I would like to see a picture of your "new baby" Maggy

o

They look really nice

Steve

o

Very nice Maggy , those trees have found their way to a good home . Your kaffir is so cute and the Kishu is nice and full. My Kishu has 1 long branch looks like a couple of feet and lots of leaves . Yours is nice because it has a couple of branches . Great plants for a great price and remarkably healthy looking considering the long trip they just made . I would say we are going to have to celebrate with a few drinks tonight . I was joking about the prime rib just trying to get a rise from you , it worked lol. I think your doing the right thing by not repotting right away , let them settle down for a couple of days . Your poor husband is still working , he won't be able to afford to retire with all theses new trees your buying . Lol . It must be hard on him to know he's going to work and you will be playing in the garden under that beautiful sunshine . Your not retired either all that cooking and cleaning and now gardening , the pups you probably don't have to much time to just put your feet up and relax . I guess being retired is not that easy .

Enjoy your afternoon Maggy and enjoy your new arrivals .

o

Thanks Steve and Brian. I am pleased with the trees . I have always gotten good plants from Dave. I thought it was a good price and they look good after the long trip. Yes a few drinks tonight are in order. I knew you were trying to get my going about the prime rib. You will enjoy it. I sometimes cook tenderloin but I think prime rib is better.
My poor husband is still working .I am sure he must think about me home playing while he is working. I worked for more years than I want to say .In my past life I had a great career but retirement is the sweet reward. Life is much simpler and less stressful. I do a lot of cooking , gardening, spending time with the pups but I have to confess I have a cleaning lady every two weeks. It is something I hate so I gave myself the gift of a clean house and it is worth every penny. My philosophy is life us too short and I want to spend whatever time I have left enjoying time with those I love and the little pleasures of everyday. Life is good.Take care .Maggy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here