Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzy11_gw

Leaf ?

Suzy11
9 years ago

What does it mean when there are redist brown spots on the leaves? I've seen these before.. If the picture is not clear enough I will take another let me know

Comments (11)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Sorry, can't see, Suzy, much too out of focus.

Patty S.

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Suzy..You poor thing..Why so many issues with your trees?
    I think you are dealing with bugs, bare leaves and dying twigs?

I am beginning to think that you may have to address the 'ROOT' of the problem...If your trees roots are not healthy, then bare plants caused by a lack of sunlight, poor soi choice,l and pest issues always follow..

Maybe we can correct what's going on with the roots so we can fatten up those trees and help them be pest resistant....)

If we help you get rid of one problem, another will follow.

A better pic of teh tree will help and one of your soil mix too)

Mike

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That would be great Mike. I have suspected a problem for a couple months. There is also a part that I hope is not dying it's light brown and part of the main trunk. one side is light brown but then the other side of that part of the trunk is green maybe you could help. I have been very frustrated because no one seems to understand. I hope there is a way of stopping the problem from going further. A few days ago I did give the tree super thrive And let it soak for a half-hour hoping that that would help. It was very thirsty. Someone told me a few weeks ago that when the leaves get rinsed with water and put in the sun You get holes in the leaves. could these spots be what you get before the holes come? I will send the pictures in a few minutes.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That would be great Mike. I have suspected a problem for a couple months. There is also a part that I hope is not dying it's light brown and part of the main trunk. one side is light brown but then the other side of that part of the trunk is green maybe you could help. I have been very frustrated because no one seems to understand. I hope there is a way of stopping the problem from going further. A few days ago I did give the tree super thrive And let it soak for a half-hour hoping that that would help. It was very thirsty. Someone told me a few weeks ago that when the leaves get rinsed with water and put in the sun You get holes in the leaves. could these spots be what you get before the holes come? I will send the pictures in a few minutes.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am sending the pictures to you. Should I sprits it with water?

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another

9 years ago

Well, your tree looks a little spindly, which is not uncommon for trees that are grown inside for a lot of the year. I don't really see any brown spots on the leaves. I see ONE leaf with a couple of brown spots, which I wouldn't worry about.

Not sure why you feel compelled to spritz your tree, Suzi. Thought we covered this a while back, but maybe not? It just isn't necessary, citrus do not need high humidity. Think about where citrus grow - here in S. California, in the "citrus belt" the relative humidity is usually 20 to maybe 30% if we're lucky. And, citrus grown out in the Imperial Valley (low desert - Palm Spring, Indio, etc.), relative humidity is between 10 and 20%. If you live in a dry climate like mine, where my trees (which are all outside all year 'round) actually get dusty, you might want to actually hose them off, to remove the dust and dirt. I live in a rather rural area, and with the severe lack of rain, we are a bit of a dust bowl. I actually hose my trees off on occasion, which helps to discourage citrus mites for us in this area. And no, water drops on the leaves will not cause holes, I don't know who on earth would have told you such a silly thing! What would happen if it rained for goodness' sake, lol!

For you, with much higher relative humidity, there is simply no need to humidify citrus. Even in my area we don't ever do that. So, let's just close the book on the spritzing, since this can actually cause issues with fungal infections in the more humid areas of the country (east coast). Step away from the spritzer :-)

So, I would make sure you've got very well draining potting mix, you're fertilizing regularly - most folks like to use a combination of a slow release fertilizer like Osmocote Plus, and a liquid fertilizer with every watering, such as Foliage Pro. Skip the Super Thrive - it does absolutely nothing, zero. Complete waste of time and money (I can send you much research on this if you want, or you can just trust me on this, or, simply Google the product and you'll find all the research on this product not doing anything for plants.) Make sure your tree is getting full sun (acclimate over a period of a couple of weeks), and you should see good growth and response. And, simply prune off the dead branch. All trees occasionally have a branch that doesn't grow, and dies off. It is nothing to worry about. Now, if your tree starts to do poorly - then there is a problem. Right now, you don't seem to have one, more than a tree that looks like it's been grown inside for about 5 months :-)

Patty S.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks patty. The only problem is I seem to see more brown branches and new leaves have stopped growing.

9 years ago

Be sure your potting medium isn't failing or compressing, and causing the roots to not get enough respiration. If the roots are fine, then follow the above.

Patty S.