Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorraine_miller7704

Not sure what is happening

Lorraine Miller
9 years ago

As you can see the leaves are curled over, water regularly, fertilize regularly, new growth why are they curled. Look for pest, couldn't see any live in zone9 S.C.

Comments (6)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

When you say you, "water regularly", how, exactly are you watering, and how are you determining when you need to water? What kind of potting mediu is the tree in? It looks to me, without knowing any of the above, or seeing how wet your potting medium is, that perhaps the tree is getting just too wet, and not being able to have enough air space in the roots, thus suffocating the roots.

Patty S.

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Patty, I agree...

Also, at what time did you take this picture?
    How much fertilizer are you giving it?

What was the temperature at this time?
    Is it in full hot sun?

MIke

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 18:19

• Lorraine Miller
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I usually water after checking to see if it is wet when I stick my finger in the pot about 2". If dry, I will water. We have been having a lot of rain. I live in SC. The weather has been above 90 daily. this past week. Iut in about a teaspoon to a Galen water

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

What kind of potting medium are you using? Checking down 2 inches isn't nearly enough. I suspect it may be a big soggy mess down at the bottom of the pot. I wouldn't be watering with rains. If you've just used a bagged mix, that will be much too dense and will retain way too much water. Your tree's roots are being drowned in water and suffocating, I suspect. I would check the roots down at the bottom of the pot to see just how much water is accumulating. If it is soggy, then I suggest re-potting. There are good recipes for either "511" mix or "Gritty" mix on our forum if you search. Or, you can try using Fafard's Nursery Mix or 52 Mix out of the bag, which has a similar composition as the Fafard Professional bagged mixes.

Patty S.

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Exactly what Patty is saying plus,

When your pots{{gwi:807}} are exposed to heat that intense, your roots stop taking up moisture leaving them to sit stagnate in a wet mix..Be careful...I would remove that tree from the hot intense hot and try to find ways to cool off the roots so they will drink before they rot...

I'll guarante you that if you find a cooler area, they will perk up..

MIke

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 14:11

• Lorraine Miller
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mike you were so right. I decided to bring my lemon tree into my sunroom and it immediately started to look better. There are still a few leaves curled but not as many. I was thinking I would let it stay in the sunroom until it dries out a little, the sunroom is warm but not like outside. I have now brought in my tangerine tree also. Should I bring in my peach tree also? Hope the lemon tree recovers completely. It has good drainage