Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baby tangerines already turning orange?

Posted by nika107 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 15:46

We planted a tangerine tree this spring, and when it planted it was full of buds. Cut to about 2 weeks after planting in the ground, when most of the leaves had turned yellow... :( We chalked that up to inexperience with citrus and most likely not a proper watering regimen. I think we rectified that situation, and have a few new leaves that have grown in.
Many of the baby tangerines died on the tree, but quite a few hung on. Now, most of those baby tangerines are still pea-sized, but are already turning, or have turned, orange.

We've applied fertilizer and chelated iron (at the guidance of our local nursery) to help the leaf situation, but is there anything to be done about the orange baby tangerines? Should I just pick those off? There are still a handful or so of green babies that actually look like they're growing -- they're maybe the size of an English pea instead of a sugar snap...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baby tangerines already turning orange?

Sounds like the tree is aborting fruit, which is not that unusual at all with a new tree. Combination of a young tree and some transplant shock. Not to worry, the fruits will most likely drop of themselves. I would just continue watering appropriately, and fertilizing appropriately. Give your tree a year or two to acclimate fully and provide you with a nice full crop of fruit. I will often remove all fruit on a new tree if I see it's struggling to get started. I want the tree to put all its energy into developing a nice, big, healthy root system that will in turn, support the development of a nice, big, healthy canopy. It's the canopy that will support good fruit. Patience, Grasshopper.

Patty S.

o
RE: Baby tangerines already turning orange?

Gotcha. Will pull of those dead little tangerines stat!!! I just can't wait to head outside someday and pluck a ripe juicy tangerine from my very own tree :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here