Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erinmiller_gw

citrus fruit salad tree

ErinMiller
15 years ago

I wanted to buy a 36" box Tangelo tree for a very large space in my garden. The nursery just called me back and said that they can't get tangelos over 15 gallon size. As a an alternative, they suggested a 36" box fruit salad tree ...I was so surprised; it sounds like a joke. But this is a large scale nursery that sells wholesale to ranches as well as to residential customers and they said homeowners really like fruit salad trees because they can get a residential size crop of oranges, lemons, limes, etc. without planting 5 trees! Anybody have any experience with these trees such as knowing if they thrive? I know the mail-order catalog trees are often not good, but this is a big box tree. Thanks!

Comments (8)

• mrtexas
    15 years ago

A fruit cocktail tree will be lopsided unless pruned. Pruning reduces fruiting as fruit forms on current year growth. I have several trees with multiple varieties as I have run out of room after 25 trees in the gound. Most successful has been 6 varieties of blood oranges on one tree. Least successful was changshou kumquat and fairchild mandarin on a sunquat tree. The kumquat outgrew the mandarin by 3 to 1. I have a grapefruit tree with 6 or 8 varieties but 95% of the tree is golden grapefruit.

Here is a link that might be useful: mrtexas

• ErinMiller
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info. The salad tree the nursery suggested had a mix of honey manderin, Meyers lemon, and key lime with late navel and valencia oranges. I was afraid that different parts of the tree would grow at different rates.

• k-california
    14 years ago

Hello,

I have been trying to find a multiple-grafted orange tree for my husband for our anniversary but have had no luck. The closest I have found was a multiple-grafted citrus tree with only one or two oranges.

Would you be so kind as to tell me where you got your blood orange tree with the six varieties? It would be greatly appreciated.

• raspberry
    13 years ago

I'd also love to know where a citrus salad tree can be purchased in the SF Bay Area (or by catalog, w/ delivery to CA). Thanks.

• jonsands_wildblue_net
    13 years ago

Raspberry,
    Did you ever find a citrus salad tree around the Bay area? I'd love to get one too..

• mug1315_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Well here are some sites i've found that offer salad trees 15# or less and a few sites that just offer some interesting individual fruiting trees.

www.fruitsaladtrees.com - has pretty much everything you can think of but since it's from australia it will be a hefty shipping cost.
    www.meyerlemontree.com - has citrus, persimmons etc
    www.bayflora.com - has figs, olives, and more
    www.gardenerschoice.com - no citrus fruit here
    www.groworganic.com - only has stone fruit

I'm looking for a company that is willing to put together a tree with blood orange, meyer lemon, ruby red grapefruit, and maybe even yuzu lime. anyone know where i can find one like that?

• redshirtcat
    12 years ago

Do NOT order from Meyerlemontree.com.

This company was knowingly, illegally shipping citrus trees out of FL which was quarantined. They used to be based in Georgia and were still shipping out of FL.

The USDA found out and tracked down every tree they sold and sent agents to confiscate and burn them (mine included). Many trees were destroyed all over the country. Customers had no recourse. The owners stopped answering phone calls and etc.

It's amazing to me that the website is still functional. Be very careful.

Here is a link to their F rating at the BBB.

They have a bunch of other websites that look the same but under different domain names. I strongly suggest you check the BBB and Dave's Garden before ordering from online nurseries. Lots of cheats out there...

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Molly, you'll do yourself a favor starting a brand new thread, instead of tacking onto someone else's message, and one that is very old to boot. That way, you will have the option to check off the notification box, so that way you're notified of responses to your message, instead of having to remember to check this old thread :-)

Secondly, about a "fruit salad" citrus tree? Don't do it. They just don't work. Multi-grafted/budded stone fruits will work okay to fairly well, if you keep the stronger varieties pruned and in check, but it's a different story with citrus. There are scion to graft incompatibilities and other growth issues that make this option really more of a non-option. You're much better off buying the 2 to 4 varieties of citrus you really want as dwarf citrus on Flying Dragon rootstock, and planting them all in one big pot. This actually works much better, and you'll get exactly what you want in the long run - lots of variety in a small space, on strong trees :-) Four Winds uses mainly Flying Dragon rootstock which will keep your citrus trees quite small. I would suggest speaking with them about putting together a really good order that will work in one or two large pots, or in a small area in your yard if going in the ground. Four Winds is highly respected and very, very reputable citrus grower, as the members of this forum can attest. You'll be happier in the long run, trust me :-)

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Four Winds Growers

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH